Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Closed thread

Thread: Frank Gruber -- Who me?

Registered
    Jun 2006

Frank Gruber -- Who me?

I am a former Planning Commissioner in the City of Santa Monica who about six years ago started writing a column about local life and politics for a website that covers the news of the city. Having been on the commission, and inasmuch as land use is one of the major subject of politics in Santa Monica, I write a lot about it. I spend a lot of time trying to explain urbanism to Santa Monicans, many of whom are urbanistas in denial. You can learn more about me at my website, which is frankjgruber.net. It's a new site and I haven't fully loaded it with links, but you can see some of the topics I write about. I'm starting to write for media outside Santa Monica, and I just had a long article about the conflict between Contemporary Architecture and New Urbanism published in the Journal of the Architectural Foundation of L.A. The article has been picked up by various urbanism lists. A pdf of the article is available on my website -- follow the links to "Urbanism" by way of "Ideas and Themes." I hope to learn a lot by paying attention to Cyburbia. --Frank

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Welcome from Minnesota.
    Psychotics are consistently inconsistent. The essence of sanity is to be inconsistently inconsistent.
    -Larry Wall

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome from Wisconsin

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Welcome from the Hoosier State.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Frank - Welcome from a native of Notthern California transplanted to the Florida panhandle...it hasn't started raining yet here...give it an hour or so.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Welcome from Chicagoland!!!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Welcome, from Irving, TX!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Welcome from the Queen City of Rockies, from a fellow Frank.

I am assuming you are not the writer of Western novels by the same name.
    Last edited by otterpop; 13 Jun 2006 at 10:59 AM.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Welcome from Northern Colorado, where record heat abounds.

About to marry a girl who has family roots in Southern California. Me? I've never even been to California.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Good morning, and welcome!

BANNED
    Registered
    Mar 2006

Interesting

Greetings. I have friends in Santa Monica.

Welcome from Northern Ohio. Glad to see we have some intellect joining the group. Please join in the posts, everyone's 2 cents are always welcome.
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Welcome from another Hoosier along the sandy white beaches of the Ohio River in the eastern time zone, below the historic Falls of the Ohio.

As a former planning commissioner, I'm sure you'll have some interesting stories to share.

Thanks for registering and feel free to jump in (just watch out for the barges on the Mighty Ohio...)

Registered
    May 2004
    Hello! I have a friend who recently stopped working as a planner for the City of Santa Monica. Apparantly working there made him want to change careers to become a developer

Registered
    Jun 2006

No, I'm not that Frank Gruber.

And he's dead anyway. But many friends have given my many of his books over the years, including one last week of an Italian translation.

Quote Originally posted by otterpop
    Welcome from the Queen City of Rockies, from a fellow Frank.

I am assuming you are not the writer of Western novels by the same name.

Registered
    Jun 2006

Santa Monica planner turned developer?

I'm trying to figure out who that might be. It's hard to be a developer in SM; most have been driven out. Your friend has to be brave if he or she intends to develop here. There's been a lot of turnover in the Planning Dept over the past seven years, since the City Council "purged" me and the rest of the old commission and replaced us with some anti-development extremists. The commission is much better now, however, and once the new City Mgr picks a new planning director (the old one quit about a year ago), I think things will improve.

Quote Originally posted by imaplanner
    Hello! I have a friend who recently stopped working as a planner for the City of Santa Monica. Apparantly working there made him want to change careers to become a developer

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by FrankGruber
    I'm trying to figure out who that might be.

He actually left to go to grad school to get a degree related to real estate development. He left about a year ago.

welcome aboard Frank!!! my name is Valentin. I am a planner in Portland, OR.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Welcome from NW Ohio. Glad to have you aboard this grand old planner's train. We stop at most good locations and now have a reason to include Santa Monica on the timetable.

BTW.....how's Sheryl Crow?

Bear

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Welcome from New York City.

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Introducing me, Frank Popper
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 25 Aug 2009, 2:09 PM
  2. Replies: 1