Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Sydney- Biennale and random city images [Broadband Recommended]

Registered
    Jun 2005

Sydney- Biennale and random city images [Broadband Recommended]

I went to the Sydney Biennale today and took a crappy digi camera along for the ride- so i thought i would share them with you all!

Ok we begin the journey from my place near the blue mountains- this is a view from the stairs at my train station, and the station itself, that was built in the later 1880's

The Biennale is scattered through many locations in Sydney, but most are focused around the CBD. To walk to the first location you have to go through Hyde Park- which is a mini central park, and includes a war memorial

First stop Hyde Park Barracks

Artworks in Hyde Park Barracks- Milica Tomic Container and Miroslaw Balka The Stop. Both works are rather tragic and emotional and were perfect in this location.

ok we go past St Mary's Cathedral...

to get to the Art Gallery Of NSW

Ok i obviously couldnt take any pics while i was in there, so you are going to have to take my word for it that they were excellent!

Across the road from the Art Gallery we have the Domain, a multi use space that is used for sports during lunch times and concerts during summer on the weekends

next we walk through the Sydney Botanical Gardens

So we have ended up at Circular Quay- it was very busy, lots of buskers and tourists.

and here is the most conversial building in Sydney- named 'The Toaster' its development ended views of the Botanical Gardens from the Quay

ok and a crazy busker!

From there we visited the Museum of Contemporary Art, which is at the Quay, and the artworks again were amazing- a lot of crazy interactive stuff, very good.

Then the last leg of our journey was to Pier 2/3, the last warehouse pier left in Sydney

It contained many amazing works including Asian Field by Antony Gormley, which is made up of 180,000 hand made clay figurines.

Last shot in this series is the Harbour Bridge and Pier 1

Hope you all enjoyed it, and if you are interested check out the Biennale website http://www.bos2006.com.au
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Thanks for the pics, natski!
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Nov 2003
    WOW!! Nice pics!! Sydney is on my list of places to visit.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Wonderful images. Looked like a chilly day in Sydney, especailly near teh water. Thanks for sharing.

Say. What's a busker anyway?

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Say. What's a busker anyway?
    Oh maybe its like an aussie term i dont know... straight from dictionary.com

busker \BUS-kur\, noun:
    A person who entertains (as by playing music) in public places.

Not just playing music, ours tend to do acts and performances

Oh yeah winter is definately here, but its the first day in a week it hasnt rained- it was beautiful!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Busker must be a coloquialism that some places have and others do not. We have buskers, but that might be because Detroit is really just part of Canada anyways.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    Busker must be a coloquialism that some places have and others do not. We have buskers, but that might be because Detroit is really just part of Canada anyways.
    some places have it, and some have legislated against it. In Brisbane, all the buskers in the centre of town have to have displayed licences.

[fond memories]

There's been an old blind guy playing sax with his labrador sleeping there outside the Myer Centre in Queen Street for as long as I can rememeber. When I was little and in the city we'd always go to see him. Last few months I've not seen him. Hope he's not gone for good.

[/fond memories]

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    In New England they are just called "street performers" and they usually must have licenses.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Beautiful natski, just beautiful. You can pick me up from the airport at around 7:30 tomorrow. Or is that today...

You say "busker," I say, "person with a liberal arts degree."

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 17 May 2004, 1:05 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 26 Apr 2004, 1:22 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 23 Apr 2004, 6:24 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 23 Apr 2004, 3:38 PM
  5. Replies: 3