Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BIG BEN and his bike.

Registered
    Feb 2005

BIG BEN and his bike.

All you fellow Steeler Fans, We may have a problem...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06163/697655-100.stm

Registered
    Dec 2001
    For the life of me I just dont see why peeps dont where helmets.

You'd think the Steelers wouuld require such.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Well, never saw this coming... http://www.postgazette.com/pg/05127/500755.stm

It sucks, and I hope he's doing okay, but I cannot bring myself to feel bad for people who are so thick skulled as to sit sit on top of an open aired missile and not wear head protection.

He owes his teammates and his fans more respect than what he's been giving them by making such irresponsible choices. I mean, his riding without a helmet is almost as dangerous as his brief fling with Terra Reid.

He is now a member of the jackass football player/motorcycle rider organization. Kellen Winslow (the brown's #1 pick) had a similar accident prior to his rookie year and was required to pay back part of his salary for breaching his contract by riding a bike without personal protection. They get paid to take care of their bodies, then do senseless things like this.
    I think I'll mail him (ben) a pair of training wheels right now.
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Registered
    May 2004
    wow.

Crazy news

Agree with those about the stupidity of riding without a helmet. Like people aren't going to pull out in front of you???

"It's one of those things, where he talked about being a risk-taker and I'm not really a risk-taker, I'm pretty conservative and laid back,"
    You ride without a helmet, you're a risk taker you big dumb football player. Hope everything works out. Pools of blood from the head can't be good.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    they posted a new article saying he was talking and alert

All those facial scars will make doing the shaving razor and shave cream commercials tough.
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote from my Harley-ridin' father in law:

"I don't wear my helmet for me--I wear it for the other dumbasses on the road."

Not wearing a helmet = stupidity, not "cool guy risk taker"

If a NFL quarterback wants to take a risk, he should request a trade to the Houston Texans! There's no risk greater than playing behind that sad excuse for an offensive line!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I wonder if his contract prohibits such activities that are deemed "dangerous" or "high risk"? Most professional contracts these days have some sort of stipulation like that.

He's absolutely lucky to be alive.

Registered
    Aug 1997

Trade, anyone ???

He's mine in the Cyburbia Fantasy Football League . . . . anyone wanna trade ? ? ? . . . . anyone?

Oh well. At least my starter Peyton Manning is not a likely candidate for such a lapse in judgment.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Obviously it is way too early to make predictions on how this will affect Big Ben's 2006 season and his career. Even though I love the dude and anxiously await the new season.....what an idiotic thing to do.

My guess is that Bill Cowher was waiting for Ben as he was wheeled out of the operating room and the spit started flying.

Back-up QB is Charlie Batch, not a bad back-up. Next in line after that is an ex-employee of this Bear, Omar Jacobs.....recently drafted by the Steelers. I would hate to see my friend Omar get into the rotation in this fashion, though.

Important to note.....the Pittsburgh Steelers are more than just a good young QB.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Why all the angst? Sounds like another stupid kid on a crotch rocket (and nobody pays any attention to all the others....)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    I mean, his riding without a helmet is almost as dangerous as his brief fling with Terra Reid.
    Tara... But I bet he wore a helmet on that ride!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I guess we will see if he has learned his lesson if and when he gets back on a bike.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Roethlisberger lost most of his teeth, fractured his left sinus cavity bone, suffered a nine-inch laceration to the back of his head and a broken jaw, and injured both of his knees when he hit the ground, police said.

was thrown off his motorcycle, flying head-first into the car's windshield "with a pretty good force," said a veteran city police officer.
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_457685.html

Sounds pretty serious to me. IMHO from an old EMT.

Pretty sage advise from Terry Bradshaw "Ride it when you retire."
    I wonder if it is now "rode to retire."
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    This is terrible news. I live in a state where we do have a helmet law, I'm amazed the Michigan seems to be the only great lake state these days that has one. Everytime I leave the state and see folks driving around without them I freak out. It is just something I am used to seeing; but then again, most other great lake states are not speed demons or are as large geographically as Michigan. Here bikers are exposed to a lot with 70 mph speed limits and rough road conditions (due to our 3-4 freeze-thaw periods over the average winter).

I hope he heals, and I hope all of the press coverage will make those who live in non-helmet states the wisdom to choose the correct option.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2006
    It sounds like they put him back together after seven hours of surgery yesterday. Sounds like there's nothing too serious, but he'll be sore for a while, no doubt about that. Also, there was no clause in his contract forbidding him to ride a motorcycle, which could have cost him millions. Just ask Kellen Winslow or Jason Williams about that.

Bear, Omar Jacobs worked for you? That's pretty cool. How was he as a worker and as a person? I'm a BGSU fan and enjoyed watching him the past few years. Tell me more por favor...

Registered
    Dec 2001
    In PA I can get a ticket for not wearing my seatbelt in the car, but not for going without a helmet on a motorcycle.

Crazy.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    There was a State Rep that ran successfully in our area on the platform of getting our helmet law reversed, we at one time in PA, did have a bit of common sence, REALLY! HONEST! I SWEAR....

I think its time to move...

Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    Well, never saw this coming... http://www.postgazette.com/pg/05127/500755.stm

It sucks, and I hope he's doing okay, but I cannot bring myself to feel bad for people who are so thick skulled as to sit sit on top of an open aired missile and not wear head protection.

He owes his teammates and his fans more respect than what he's been giving them by making such irresponsible choices. I mean, his riding without a helmet is almost as dangerous as his brief fling with Terra Reid.
    I, too, hope he's okay, as it looked like a nasty accident by all accounts. Ironically, I do not think helmet wearing should be mandated (along with seat belt wearing) - one should have common sense enough to do those things automatically. And if you don't I do not want to have to pay for your institutionalization with my tax dollars. But that's a story for another day.....

Tara Reid strikes again, huh? Best have a thorough checkup after that affair. She's been a busy girl......

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    [QUOTE=DetroitPlanner]This is terrible news. I live in a state where we do have a helmet law, I'm amazed the Michigan seems to be the only great lake state these days that has one. Everytime I leave the state and see folks driving around without them I freak out. [Quote}

Let's just hope that the talk of repealing this helmet law in Michigan cools after seeing how deadly a small accident can become when you don't wear a helmet.
    I personally refer to motorcycles as "murdercycles" since I have seen a number of deaths and serious injuries of my family members over the years.

I always look at the smashed bug parts splattered on my windshield and think what that would feel like in the face on a bike without a helmet.

Ben's a lucky boy indeed. But his teammates should rightly be highly pixxed off, IMO.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Now they're reporting he didn't have a license to drive a motorcycle.

This was sent to me this morning....where Ben's head kissed the windshield.

RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    May 2003
    It's funny how this all boils down to wearing a helmet or not in the popular arguments.

Helmets offere substantial protection, they reduce head trama incidents by something like 30%, but there's still a very large chance he would have ended up with serious head trauma even if he had been wearing one. Especially if he smacked into that car going fast enough to do that much damage to it. Helmets are designed to protect against glancing blows with the ground, after falling off at speed. They're not designed to protect you against being slammed headlong into a blunt object.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Bike/ped plans
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 22 Jul 2009, 1:05 PM
  2. Why not use bike lanes?
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 41
    Last post: 03 Feb 2009, 11:06 PM
  3. Replies: 41