Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Accessory structures

Registered
    Jul 2002

Accessory structures

I am reviewing a text amendment for a city. They have accessory structures divided into attached and detached structures. To me, an accessory structure cannot be attached. If it is attached, it is part of the structure itself and not accessory. Has anyone come accross this? Why would a community have attached accessory structures?
    WALSTIB

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R
    I am reviewing a text amendment for a city. They have accessory structures divided into attached and detached structures.
    (1) To me, an accessory structure cannot be attached. If it is attached, it is part of the structure itself and not accessory.
    (2) Has anyone come accross this?
    (3) Why would a community have attached accessory structures?
    1 - Agree with you.
    2 - Sorry, No I have not.
    3 - Sorry, I can not think why. Would love to see that definition.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 2005
    I have never heard of attached accessory structures. I also would love to see the definition! And I'd be really interested in what the regulations for attached accessory structures are as compared to detached accessory structures or primary structures....

Registered
    May 2006
    We have accessory apartments that must be attached -- not quite the same thing, but really kinda the same thing.

     
    Registered
    May 2006
    perhaps it is attached, but must be accessed by exiting the building?

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    1 - Agree with you.
    2 - Sorry, No I have not.
    3 - Sorry, I can not think why. Would love to see that definition.
    Same here!

Quote Originally posted by Tom R
    I am reviewing a text amendment for a city. They have accessory structures divided into attached and detached structures. To me, an accessory structure cannot be attached. If it is attached, it is part of the structure itself and not accessory. Has anyone come accross this? Why would a community have attached accessory structures?
    Does the City have a definition of just "accessory structure"? I'm assuming not, and that they define both attached and detached accessory structures. I'm guessing at one time there was a quirky scenario that was thought about where they wanted to identify an attached accessory structure, when maybe they should have been thinking of the situation as an acessory use of a primary structure. Like an in-law apartment, or home office.

Get rid of attached accessory structure.

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally posted by flymykite
    Does the City have a definition of just "accessory structure"? I'm assuming not, and that they define both attached and detached accessory structures. I'm guessing at one time there was a quirky scenario that was thought about where they wanted to identify an attached accessory structure, when maybe they should have been thinking of the situation as an acessory use of a primary structure. Like an in-law apartment, or home office.

Get rid of attached accessory structure.

I agree... get rid of the attached accessory structure definition. Most codes that I've come across typically state that if the accessory structure is attached via a wall, roof, or some other method then it's considered part of the principal structure and regulated as such.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 31 Mar 2010, 5:20 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 20 Aug 2007, 10:51 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 24 May 2006, 11:29 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 18 Jun 2004, 4:26 AM
  5. Twin Homes/Accessory structures
    Land Use and Zoning