Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Question about land survey

     
    Registered
    Jun 2006

Question about land survey

Lindale, Texas.
    My surveyor charged me 898.77 to survey 2 acres.
    The purpose of the survey was to determine boundry lines and
    for closing at the title company.

The survey I get from the surveyor; what size should the paper be?
    What kind of paper should be used?
    Shouldn't it be the manila type paper?
    What size should the survey be?
    Shouldn't it be like 20" x 30" ?
    Thanks,
    Ray
    rp@2d.com

Umm, you needn't shout.

The fee does not sound out of line to me, but I'm in S. Indiana and things are cheaper here. My mortgage survey in 1994 was $400 -- and it was hand-drawn on legal sized stock paper (not archival or otherwise anything special). The scale of the survey is important: typically, scales of 1:10, 1:20, 1:30 through 60 or 1:100, 1:200, 1:300 to 1:600 would be utilized depending on the size of the parcel surveyed. (Two acres will probably be scaled at around 1:200 or so, I'd guess). These scales are important because you can purchase an engineer's scale to measure and these are the pre-selected scales.

What's most important is if the surveyor finds any discrepancies, such as in the lines of occupation, and how he/she documents them.

Good luck.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by rayp
    Lindale, Texas.
    My surveyor charged me 898.77 to survey 2 acres.
    The purpose of the survey was to determine boundry lines and
    for closing at the title company.

The survey I get from the surveyor; what size should the paper be?
    What kind of paper should be used?
    Shouldn't it be the manila type paper?
    What size should the survey be?
    Shouldn't it be like 20" x 30" ?
    Thanks,
    Ray
    rp@2d.com
    If the survey is going to be formally filed in a municipal clerk's office or submitted to a municipality as part of a development application, then the size of the survey and paper type should conform to the filing or review authority requirements.

Otherwise, survey size and paper type probably really doesn't matter.
    All these years the people said hes actin like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    As the survey was done to meet the requirements of the title company, ask *them* what their standards are.

The paper is generally standard bond, but it could be vellum. Still, it doesn't matter that much. As to the page size and scale, the drawing should be at a scale to represent the property and be legible, on a page size that is sufficient.

If you have a simple rectangle, it could probably be done at 8.5x11. If it's more complex, then larger. I've worked with properties that required multiple 24x36 pages.......

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    The price does not sound out of line if there was a lot of field work and record research required. If it is a vacant property in a recently subdivided development where corner pins and monuments can be found easily it may be a little high. Next time ask if an Improvement Location Certificate (ILC) would work for the title company. It is not an actual survey and will have a disclaimer on stating that it not a survey but it might cost you half as much as a full survey and basically pick-ups most encroachments.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    If you are creating a new 2 acre parcel from a larger tract, and are having a survey done to determine the boundary and create a legal description, the price sounds VERY reasonable. That is the low end of what I would do it for here in Illinois. That would get you the corners marked and a Plat of Survey depicting the boundary. Any encroachments on or off the parcel would be shown. There would be no improvements or easements shown unless specifically requested. The plat would be 8.5x11 or 8.5x14 on regular bond paper at a convienient scale to that size of paper. Vellum is hardly used anymore since large format copiers and plotters are economical.

It is really hard to determine if that price is fair as there are a lot factors that affect the price. Has there been any surveying done in the area or are you starting from scratch? Is the parcel or surrounding land wooded? Is the site developed or wide open? Rough terrain?

Surveying costs a lot more than people reailize, and like everything else, you get what you pay for. Going for the cheapest price may end up costing a lot more in the future. It sounds like you got a fair deal. Good Luck!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'd echo the comments in that the price is reasonable assuming it is a decent survey, while I will say that IMO some licensed surveyors are much better than others. As someone else stated, typically you will receive a copy of what will be filed with the county records office. Usually, each county has their own preferences on what they want a survey/plat/etc... to look like - title block, legal description, paper size etc. So I'm guessing he probably gave you what was required by the county. That said if you want a larger copy, that might be easier to read, etc... I would request this from the surveyor. It is not much trouble to print out a survey on a larger format. Timewise you might be talking 5 minutes or so to adjust the scale etc...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Uses Existing land use survey
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 20 Sep 2012, 9:55 AM
  2. Rural land use plan survey
    Rural and Small Town Planning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 13 Aug 2009, 10:46 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 02 Dec 2008, 10:29 AM