Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Rate this waterfront development

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005

Rate this waterfront development

This is Cobourg, Ontario, pop about 20,000. There has been significant redevlopment of former brownfield lands near the towns core and waterfront. It has been built in a number of phases and is still on going. Im not 100% sure but I believe the 1st was built about 10 years ago. Anyway here are some pictures.

Built as part of 1st or 2nd phase.

Although not really shown here, resident parking is provided either underground or in laneway garages.

These specific condos have a direct lake view.

Interior courtyard. Cream coloured building just recently constructed.

Town Hall looming

Just steps from the marina

Another phase under construction, seperate development though.

There was no retail built in any of the developments, however they all close to the downtown strip. One of the goals of the developments is to keep the downtown going strong.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    On the Kunstleresque Scale of Klusterf***ing Design, I give it and a half out of .

Well it's hard to really judge without a general idea of the area. I'll nitpick at something's I do and don't like.

Pics 1& 2 look really nice I like the layout of the building & street.

Pic 3 -I'm bored, I want retail

Pic 4 -I'm still bored.

Pic 5 I like it, are there benches? I could drink a cup of coffee there every morning. Now if only I could walk to the coffee shop, can I?

Pic 6 I feel like I might be in Seaside, Fl. The church in the background look's nice.

Pic 7 I like that new building. I don't like the old apartment buiding with the balconies and the setback's for the street is blah.

Pic 8 I like

Pic 9&10 I'm indifferent

Pic 11 That's what I'm talking about!

I think I'm showing my bias. Look's like a upscale sleepy little town. Is it a seasonal type town?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Truely dazzle me and tell me these are not high(er)-end units.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I would agree with some of Irish One's points.

Overall, though, a pleasant, livable moderate density townscape that I could certainly live in. I prefer the brick buildings, myself. Hopefully, over time, the gardens and lawns will beecome more interesting and diverse-that's the blandest part of the townscape, to me.

Pic 3 -I'm bored, I want retail
    I would revise this comment to say: I could be bored if retail shops aren't near. The street does have a quiet quality to it and I like a closed street. Is that an enclosed street?
    I did a google map search and this look's like a really nice location.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I think we can all agree that developing reasonably dense residential within easy walking distance of an existing downtown is admirable and a very good idea economically.

The detailing on the buildings is very uneven. Just looking at the brick buildings in pics 1, 2, 5 and 8 -->

Good: Foorways, crenellation below the corniches, sash windows, pillar posts.
    Bad: The half-assed quoins, the warehousy side elevations in the middle segment; also, the common-bond brickwork looks a bit veneerish? (could be jut the pics).

The acutal downtown buildings look very good and very English. That pciture could be in any mid-Victorian part of London (other than the flags , unless it was a Canadian themed bar)
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Looks kind of like a typical beachside town.
    Those buildings are very common in towns and villages found throughout Ontario...
    It's nice, but nothing new.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 15 Jan 2008, 7:04 AM
  2. Waterfront development
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 16 Jul 2007, 4:21 PM
  3. Waterfront development in Hong Kong
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 3