Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Skatepark designs and function...

Registered
    Jul 2007
    It's great to see all the talk about skateparks. I am new to the board here, and am finding a wealth of info as a Public Rec. Professional. In addition, I am a nearly 30 year veteran of skateboarding, and sit on the Board of Directors for Skaters for Public Skateparks. In all my dealings with countless planners, committees etc. I have found one thing in common. The only information being provided is for the most part based on a sales pitch. "Our stuff is the best". SPS began, to enable professionals such as ourselves and serious advocates a place to gain legitimate data based off of real experience or research. We cover every aspect of skateparks from begginning to end.

Information that seems minor and overlooked can create a $300k fiasco. I noticed V said he is getting a modular park for 300k. The parks maintenance costs are going to big, and the inevitable replacement of all that equipment will most likely result in the skatepark not being long for life. $300k can buy you a considerable concrete park that will last well into the future with little maintenance in comparison to the alternative.

I also see talk of need for proper siting. Bravo! Siting is critical to the parks success or failure, as you all seem to understand. I noticed a few people mentiong the finish of the concrete. This concrete should always be in a fine finish. Reason, injuries. Falling down is a natural occurence when skating, and having a "Broom Finish" will cause tears to the skin rather than just a bruise. Speed is the skaters friend contrary to popular belief. You are more likely to loose your balance when traveling slowly, and minor debris such as peebles become more dangerous to your momentum.

Your skatepark will be made or broken from the start. Design, Siting, etc. None of us want to be saddled with a failure, and SPS makes sure to giuve professionals the tools needed for informed decisions on their skatepark endeavors. I encourage everyone to stop in and have a look. Should you have any questions, please contact one of our Regional Directors or Board Members. We are always happy to help any way we can. We have developed a skatepark development guide for professionals, and are active members of the ASTM as well.

John Leizear
    BoD- Skaters for Public Skateparks
    www.skatersforpublicskateparks.org

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Yes indeed, and ditto on the Charles River skatepark information mentioned above. Integrating skateparks into the rest of the public space is key. Below are a couple more resources to consider. Let me know if you have other questions. Thanks!

http://www.parents4sk8parks.org/Checklist.html
    http://www.parents4sk8parks.org/pdf/...AtADeadEnd.pdf

Scott Shinn
    Director, Parents for Skateparks
    Core Contributor, Skaters for Public Skateparks

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Fashion vs. function...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 46
    Last post: 15 Mar 2011, 3:18 PM