Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Transit oriented developments - new topics

Registered
    Apr 2005

Transit oriented developments - new topics

I am tired of seeing the same old what TODs can do for planning, zoning for TODs, the benefits, etc. I'm trying to come up with a topic that is refreshing. I'm looking at it from a transit perspective rather than urban planning. Any new, fresh and/or seminal research being done? Looking for other experiences outside of what TRB is doing.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    I guess it depends what you find interesting. This top ten list should get you started:

http://www.metro-magazine.com/t_feat...fm?id=90509756

My interests center on number 5, the automation of rail transit. Offshoots from your choice(s) might include the technology, the demographics, or the politics of changing transit trends.

Good luck.
    Psychotics are consistently inconsistent. The essence of sanity is to be inconsistently inconsistent.
    -Larry Wall

hmmm...look at what Portland is doing with the re-design of the downtown bus mall. the bus mall is the bus hub and will be the focal point of a new light rail line. furthermore, the bus mall also connects to other light rail and streetcar lines. I will have to see if I can dig them up but I found some articles a while back about how that TOD area was looking to compete with suburban shopping centers by offering more amenties and shopping/entertainment options.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2006

u-car

u-car, the use of cars as a public utility within the urban area. it is outlined in Moshe Safdie's The City After the Automobile

i am an amateur urbanist, i have been designing cities since i was five years old, and i have moved in recent years towards transport (and transit) oriented urban design. i have drawn a city ( though with many incomplete areas) covering 90 pages of 8.5X11 paper with a scale of 5 cm=1 km.

my current project is on a similar scale, and this time I have incorporated U-car facilities into the design (alongside integrated TGV rail, commuter rail, buses, trams and metro).

in order to mitigate heavy traffic, a comprehensive network of reserved lanes (on expressways and major boulevards) partly inspired by the grands boulevards of paris, for the use of commercial traffic only (though the lanes can be reassigned easily in case of a traffic detour or major event causing traffic chaos). certain exits are assigned only for the use of commercial traffic ( i cannot thank jane jacobs enough for that simple idea).

and i continue to draw these cities, emphasizes complete efficiency in intermodal transit and hope that i have created a workable and liveable reality.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 31 Oct 2010, 3:39 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 15 Oct 2009, 1:36 PM
  3. Hollywood transit oriented developments
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 Jul 2007, 9:35 AM
  4. Transit Oriented Design
    Transportation Planning