Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Happy with your planning program??

Happy with your planning program??

Hey guys,

Im ophir, first year urban planning student at the Technion (Israel institute of technology, which is...ahhh...in israel )

I was just wondering, since Im not so happy with my school over here,if any of you is satisfied with the planning programm you are attending, and where that might be.

Since I have very limited options here (The technion program is the only one in israel) and i recently got admitted to the mup at Mcgill and Boston university, I was wondering whether transferring might be a good idea.

I find the planning profession exciting, so switching to something else is not an option for me, but the course is hard and is not presented to us students in a very coherent and professional way (just for example, i still dont know how to plan anything actually...every idea or concept i come up with i have to look up in the library or the net to see if it was tried anywhere and how etc...the professors dont really teach us any concepts or guide us through the process).

Have you guys over there at the states or canada any different experience? Has the school you went to or are going to really taught you how to plan? Any recommended schools?

Thanks a lot..help is appreciated and will be paid back by a free hebrew lesson

Ophir

Registered
    Aug 2005
    hi and welcome to cyburbia!

i think a common complaint that you'll find among planners and planning students is the disconnect between academia and applied planning. in school we tend to focus on theory and an idealistic planning world. whereas in real life it is completely different. there don't seem to be any "Sign Enforcement 101" or "How to pacify an irate citizen 201" etc. classes.

i'm happy with my planning program because besides the fact that my professors are nice and committed to the profession, they are also well connected in the planning community in my city.

if i had any advice to share with someone looking for a new planning program it would be see what the internship possibilities are for the program. are internships required? suggested? or completely ignored? also find out what connections the departments have to the communities. smart professors who research are great, but a professor with a lot of contacts can be a lot more valuable when you're searching for a job.

shalom!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

I soooo agree!!!!! this is what I have found to a major degree. the contrast was so profound!!!!!!!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    here are some comments on programs and people's expereinces at school

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23041
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 05 Apr 2010, 7:43 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 22 Aug 2009, 2:39 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 May 2009, 10:04 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last post: 02 Feb 2006, 1:45 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last post: 01 Mar 2005, 8:20 PM