Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Toronto Cottage Country

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005

Toronto Cottage Country

North of Toronto lies Cottage Country. Obviously considered the "refuge" away from the city.

Last edited by Copper; 06 Jun 2006 at 5:01 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    This'll be a thread that I will revisit often. Thanks, Copper.

What great pictures of a soulscape of mine.

I love north country lakes.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Oct 2003
    What a great collection of photos!

I also must comment on the homes: they're HUGE for cottages! What gives?

Having seen the slow traffic on Hwy 400 from the Muskokas (that's the name of Toronto's Cottage Country) back to Toronto on tv numerous time gets me wondering what's so great about going away to the cottages for two days and fighting through Friday night traffic to the cottage and the Sunday night traffic back from the cottage! Can anyone give some explanation about this?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    This'll be a thread that I will revisit often....
    Right, the babe on the beach, huh? No, she's not calling you.

Very nice pictures.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jun 2005
    There are a few awesome shots there! what camera did you use?

oh and it looks like a great spot too!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hceux
    I also must comment on the homes: they're HUGE for cottages! What gives?
    Yuppie migration. Wealthy Bay St. folk. etc.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Looks like N Michigan!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    Looks like N Michigan!
    Yep...not suprising though since they are also in the northern Great Lakes region...some of those look like they could have been taken in and around Hubbard Lake and Grand Lake.

I grewup around scenery like these and I would take it over ocean front property anytime (simply because I have little experience with ocean front living).
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    I love the area north of Cottage Country. Cottage Country is nice but a little too overpopulated when you really want a reprieve from city life. My aunt and uncle usually get a cottage up on the Pickerel River or on a lake northwest of North Bay (can't remeber the name right now) and I usually spend a weekend or two up there fishing during the summer. Absolutely beautiful up there and very remote. Thanks for the pics though, its getting me excited to go fishing!
    'Planning Rockstar in training';-)

So are these timeshares?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by passdoubt
    So are these timeshares?
    I don't think there are many timeshares. Most people buy. There is a significant rental market though, for people who can't afford a cottage but would like one for a weekend or something.

Cyburbia Administrator
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Historically, were Torontonian "cottage country" folks Anglo-Canadian? I just can't picture Greek, Italian or Asian immigrants joining the crowds on the 400.

I don't know if it's true or not, but I have heard that Buffalonians are increasingly getting priced out of their "cottage country" areas - the north shore of Lake Erie in Ontario, Chautaqua Lake, and some of the smaller glacial lakes in western New York, because upper middle class Torontonians that have been priced out of the Muskokas and their cottage country areas are heading south. Buffalo's cottagers tended be a slightly-below-middle-class crowd; factory workers, railroad employees, low-level white collar workers, and other working families.

As a child in the 1970s, my family a lakefront cottage in Long Beach, on the north shore of Lake Erie about 15 km west of Port Colborne, for about two weeks every summer. Ironically, we usually timed our cottage stays so we spent the 4th of July west of the border. I drank my first beer ever in Long Beach, and met my first pseudo-girlfriend despite my being a skinny, somewhat socially inept kid with thick glasses. Good times.

Many of Buffalo's wealthy and old money elite had summer homes just across the border in Fort Erie. I went to some parties at the summer homes of rich friends when I was a kid, and I didn't see the appeal; the beach was rocky, and the Buffalo skyline was right there across the lake. It didn't seem like much of a getaway. I remember one party when I ws 14, at the summer house of a family where the father, someone who was allegedly connected, was under trial for racketeering charges.

I don't think the "cottage country" culture in Buffalo was ever as strong as in Toronto or Detroit. Buffalo never had the massive Friday night urban exodus traffic jams that always seemed to make the news in Toronto.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Historically, were Torontonian "cottage country" folks Anglo-Canadian? I just can't picture Greek, Italian or Asian immigrants joining the crowds on the 400.
    If the community I work in and the people I work with (coworkers and applicants) I would say not true. New money immigrants are the ones most responsible for the increasing proces of all things that used to be considered WASP. Examples include cottages, golfing and skiing.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Thanks for posting this...i'm far away this summer, and missing weekends up (or down from where I am) there.

From what I've seen, it is mostly Caucasian anglos that go to cottages. Not sure if it is because many of them are inherited and passed down (thus immigrants not having as much of an opportunity to get into the market), or if it is a cultural thing.

It is startling to imagine wanting to sit in the traffic jams, but I think a 3 hour traffic jam is still well worth the relaxing you get from the rest of the weekend.

This one is actually Buffalo cottage country on Lake Erie Crystal / Bay Beach. No?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Beautiful photos! I have a friend that is a doctor in one of the cottage country towns. I may try to make it out there to visit, now that I know what it looks like!

Registered
    Mar 2006
    It's always interesting to see what is being considered cottage country- it's always getting further and further. Crazy to think that western Mississauga was once the place to have a place.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by steel
    This one is actually Buffalo cottage country on Lake Erie Crystal / Bay Beach. No?

Could be off of the Lake Huron shore by Cottage Country as well. That leads to another observation all together: I am sure that the N Coast of Lake Erie is Cottage Country from Buffalo, the Same Way the N coast of Lake Erie is cottage country for Detroit. Detroit also goes north too. Do Torontoians go to Lake Erie shores in any numbers? Or is is all N towards Lake Simcoke/Lake Huron/Muskoka Lakes?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    Could be off of the Lake Huron shore by Cottage Country as well. That leads to another observation all together: I am sure that the N Coast of Lake Erie is Cottage Country from Buffalo, the Same Way the N coast of Lake Erie is cottage country for Detroit. Detroit also goes north too. Do Torontoians go to Lake Erie shores in any numbers? Or is is all N towards Lake Simcoke/Lake Huron/Muskoka Lakes?
    Honestly I don't know where that beach is located. This thread was made somewhere else and someone added the beach picture. Everything else is pretty much from the Muskoka's.

To answer the other question, everyone goes north. I haven't heard of anyone going to Erie although im sure there are a few that do.

Quote Originally posted by Copper
    Honestly I don't know where that beach is located. This thread was made somewhere else and someone added the beach picture. Everything else is pretty much from the Muskoka's.

To answer the other question, everyone goes north. I haven't heard of anyone going to Erie although im sure there are a few that do.

Yup it is Crystal Beach near Buffalo. It is interesting to see the contrast between a Great Lakes beach and the north country rmote and wild lakes though.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Uses Cottage food operations
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 01 Feb 2013, 4:54 PM
  2. Cottage cheese
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 15 Feb 2012, 8:30 PM
  3. Replies: 32
    Last post: 01 May 2009, 2:39 AM