• Hurricanes

10 26.32%
  • Oilers

19 50.00%
  • I donít give a puck about the game!

9 23.68%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hurricanes v Oilers Game 7 tonight. Who do you want to win?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Hurricanes v Oilers Game 7 tonight. Who do you want to win?

Well, it happened, Stanley Cup Finals, game 7. The second seed Carolina Hurricanes go up against the surprising eighth seed Edmonton Oilers. Edmonton has little to prove after recovering from a 3-1 deficit in this series and working there way and beating some of the best teams in hockey, often on away ice. Tonightís game in Raleigh will be a huge advantage to the Canes. The RBC Center is a very loud arena, and will no doubt be packed. Additionally, only two or three teams have won a game 7 on away ice for the cup.

Edmonton however was thinking ahead when playing game six by being the more physical team, and putting every cane into the boards or onto the ice every chance they could, in hopes that the pain would linger for a few days. The best thing that Edmonton has going for it is the fact that they have won the past two games, including the game six shutout where the Edmonton defense limited shots on goal and created a lopsided stats sheet.

Personally, I want Edmonton to win. I donít like southern teams winning in Hockey, Edmonton has the history (even though the Hurricanes were the Harford Whalers), and they have been the seeded as the underdogs the entire playoffs. Oh, and if they beat the Wings, they better be good enough to win the cup.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

I don't want to jinx them, so I won't say anything slick, but I think there's one team that has really greased their way and are functioning like a well-lubricated machine.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Brass Bonanza
    According to Erik Kuselias, the song is bad luck for the Carolina Hurricanes. He played it before games 5 and 6 of the 2006 Stanley Cup Playoffs and the Hurricanes lost to the Edmonton Oilers. Before game 6 on his radio show The SportsBash, he announced that for him to play the song, the mayor of Edmonton, Stephen Mandel, would have to phone in and request it. Mayor Mandel did and the Edmonton Oilers won the game 4-0.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass_Bonanza

I wonder what Erik Kuselias will be saying today on his radio show ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    My day: hitting up the World Urban Forum and then catching the game downtown.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Brass Bonanza

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass_Bonanza

I wonder what Erik Kuselias will be saying today on his radio show ?
    If it were the Whalers, I would be going for them. But since it isn't, I will be playing the mp3 for the Brass Bonanza tonight in the hopes that the jinx continues. Go Oilers!!!!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Ah, you silly, silly saaaaaaaaaaaaaad little men.

All I can say is this......

GO CANES GO!!!!!!!!!!!

But other than that, this has been a great comeback season for the NHL and one of the best playoff's I have seen in a long, long time.
    Forechecking is overrated.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    It would be nice for the Southerners to win one! Go 'Canes!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2001
    You guys should be witness to the insanity up here. Every other car has an Oilers flag on it, every other house has a 'Go Oilers Go' placard in their window. It's amazing to see firsthand. For the fans alone, I'm hoping the Oilers get the Cup.

GO OILERS GO!

Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek
    It would be nice for the Southerners to win one! Go 'Canes!
    Last time I checked, Tampa is in the South. Canada's turn!

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Edmonton however was thinking ahead when playing game six by being the more physical team, and putting every cane into the boards or onto the ice every chance they could, in hopes that the pain would linger for a few days. The best thing that Edmonton has going for it is the fact that they have won the past two games, including the game six shutout where the Edmonton defense limited shots on goal and created a lopsided stats sheet.
    I agree that they played a smart game on Saturday. I think that the two-day (instead of three-day) break between games will hurt the Canes. The Oil is used to one day between games being spent for travel, what with how large the Western Confernce is (area wise), and so travel is part of the rigor of playing out West. Those East Coasters have it easy comparitively travel-wise, and I think they are out of practice during the playoffs. Whatever happens, the Oil have done a tremendous job in these playoffs, and I'm sure that fans will be proud no matter what.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    I will speak for every Buffalonian with this:

GO OILERS GO!!!

We're not bitter, we just know a better team when we see one! (and it's not the Hurricanes)
    'Planning Rockstar in training';-)

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    Last time I checked, Tampa is in the South.
    Florida really isn't the South...too many yanks
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by CCMNUT39
    All I can say is this......

GO CANES GO!!!!!!!!!!!

But other than that, this has been a great comeback season for the NHL and one of the best playoff's I have seen in a long, long time.
    I find it funny that more people say that they donít care for the game, then those who want the Canes to win!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek
    Florida really isn't the South...too many yanks
    Off-topic:
    Careful... I am still nursing a black eye from this statement...
    But I agree...
    Ducks... runs....
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2006
    It time for North Carolina to win its first professional championship. Besides the Oilers will be in the US in a few years continuing the exodus of Canadian teams.

Go Canes!!!
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Really?

I find it funny that more people say that they don’t care for the game, then those who want the Canes to win!
    Too funny. Just shows the beauty of this thread...people who don't know hockey already chirping.

But that's ok...because we going to be "ROCKING YOU LIKE A HURRICAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANE!!!!!"
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 19 Jun 2006 at 1:47 PM.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Who do i want to win... hmmm.... detroit... not playing....montreal... not playing... buffalo... not playing.... I guess i'll go with the 'canes.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by CCMNUT39
    Too funny. Just shows the beauty of this thread...people who don't know hockey already chirping.

But that's ok...because we going to be "ROCKING YOU LIKE A HURRICAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANE!!!!!"

And like most Hurricanes, they can do some damage, but those are few and far between. They had their time, (the 5-0 shut out) but now, they are nothing more than a bunch of hot air blowing around. I hear that NC is expected to see a Canadian Cold Front come in.

I couldn't choose who I wanted to win so I put money on both teams.

And like most Hurricanes, they can do some damage, but those are few and far between. They had their time, (the 5-0 shut out) but now, they are nothing more than a bunch of hot air blowing around. I hear that NC is expected to see a Canadian Cold Front come in.
    No worries, bubba. I expect a full apology tomorrow!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    The seventh game of the Stanley Cup final on the day before the first day of summer and several of you are beoytching about southern hockey teams. What doesn't look right here?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Oilers all the way. I tend to think people pick the Canes because they think we're talking football and/or can't locate Edmonton on a map.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    It is just plain wrong for a hockey championship to go to a city where Ĺ inch of snow causes mass chaos, where 'skiing' automatically assumes a boat will be used, or where 'white christmas' involves spray paint.

My vote's for Edmonton.
    What luck! A random assemblage of words never sounded less intelligent.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Here I was thinking it was some really, really early football game.

I voted who cares. Who wants to sit in a really cold place in the middle of summer?

I voted for Buffalo.......oh well

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Off-topic:
    Careful... I am still nursing a black eye from this statement...

Rumpy really gave it to you, didn't he?

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by njm
    It is just plain wrong for a hockey championship to go to a city where Ĺ inch of snow causes mass chaos, where 'skiing' automatically assumes a boat will be used, or where 'white christmas' involves spray paint.

My vote's for Edmonton.
    Call me when the NHL starts playing all its games outdoors. Until then, ya'll are just going to have to suck it up. Professional sports have long been about which city can attract the best whores to play for them. Sadly, more and more, college sports are going to same way but with the promise of exposure to the pimps from the professional leagues rather than payment right away.

If you really want to get upset, wait a couple of year until the Oilers move to Mexico City. The NHL could be renamed the Nafta Hockey League but by then, there might not be any Canadian teams left

(Don't tell babble on about the Maple Leafs. Everyone knows Toronto isn't really Canadian.)
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Tonight on CNBC!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 10 Nov 2004, 3:23 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 20 Sep 2004, 11:25 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 14 Aug 2004, 11:15 PM
  4. Tonight on Fox!