Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Grad school for Sustainable Design

Registered
    Jun 2006

Grad school for Sustainable Design

As a fresh planning undergraduate from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo we learned a lot about sustainability and it had always interested me. Im working for developers doing entitlements and due dilligence and writing EIRs to further my education on environmental policy and plan on going back to grad school in a couple years, hopefully to learn more about sustainable development, etc.

My question is...

What jobs are out there for someone like me, I've looked at it and its difficult! It seems like sustainable planning is just nice planner conversation and chit-chat with others in the field, but when it comes to implementation and making money from these ideas, it seems quite bare. Any suggestions?

Registered
    Nov 2005
    sustainable development, sustainable design, and sustainable planning are all discrete (although related) topics. you've mentioned all three. are you most interested in development, design, or planning? whichever one of these topics interests you the most is the one you might want to consider following. if you only know that you are interested in the sustainable part of all three of these fields, you may have to do a little soul-searching.

Registered
    Jun 2006
    Well... I'm interested in the concepts of sustainability and I have education and work experience in planning. See, to me it seems like there are so few jobs actually implementing and working with sustainability that I was considering going to grad school to learn sustainable design or development to find a way into the biz.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 02 Sep 2013, 12:11 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Mar 2013, 2:56 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 30 Jun 2008, 10:18 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 04 May 2003, 1:24 AM