Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: My Plan to fix our problems

     
    Registered
    May 2006

My Plan to fix our problems

Best title I could come up with. Basically this is my plan to generate the money required to research and develope solutions to our problems like AIDS and Cancer and Poverty and everything. Basically, there were 281,421,906 people in america according to the 2000 census, so let's say, for simplicity sake, there are 300,000,000 people now living in America. nad say there are 10 problems in America that need a lot of attention. Well, if every person in America gave $10 to a cause of thier choosing, then we'll have $3 billion dollars to distribute amongst our problems. It's not taking tax money to support problems because people make the choice themselves so it's more like donating the money in an organizational fashion. What think you?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    They already do that. It's called "charity".

I'm really not trying to be a smart ass. But it takes more than "money" to solve such problems. A lot more. According to my sister, most cancer research is some variation of the same theme with almost nothing genuinely new and interesting going on. Poverty? That's a human problem which money alone does not solve. AIDS? My understanding is that it was the first venereal disease where political pressure from the gay community caused the U.S. to take a "medical miracle" approach to try to treat it in place of the historically effective "social management" approach. Basically, people did not want to admit they were gay or IV drug users, did not want to give up the names of all their lovers and people they shared needles with, and acted like asking them to do so was "an invasion of privacy" as well as an attempt to dicriminate against them for their socially unacceptable behavior. So while everyone looked for some miracle drug or vaccine, the epidemic raged on. Historically, epidemics of some VD or other were relatively rapidly contained by contacting everyone who had slept with the infected person and then asking the names of the people they slept with, etc.

Frankly, I think I know how to make CF patients lots healthier and I know of many people treating autism successfully. The people/organizations with money generally don't want to support "controversial" and "unproven" approaches which parents are successfully pursuing. And the parents are, understandably, very leery of anyone who wants to hit them up for money or sell them something. They mostly trust the word of other folks like them who are sharing their information and experiences freely. Anyone who even has published a book to effeciently distribute what they know and, gosh, make a buck or two is viewed with skepticism by many people in these communities who feel so screwed over and abandoned and generaly damned. It's a conundrum that I don't know the answer to...at least not yet.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    3 bn? People/institutions in the US give an estimated 200-400 bn a year.....
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Registered
    Mar 2004
    $10??? I give more than twice that every check (not including church)!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Problems when I try to PM someone
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 20 Nov 2010, 9:45 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last post: 26 Feb 2010, 10:59 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Jun 2009, 10:02 AM
  4. Gallery problems
    Cyburbia Issues and Help