Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: PRO roundabout editorial

Registered
    Mar 2006
    To be honest, I thought it was something the mayor was pushing on his own.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by cch View post
    To be honest, I thought it was something the mayor was pushing on his own.

You must be reading the blog, That guy blames the Mayor for everything after getting trounced in two elections.

The original idea was his, and I was skeptical at first, but the more I looked at it the more sense it made.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Mar 2006
    No, I haven't read any blog. I just read the newspaper online everyday. The way the roundabout story was written sounded as though Division hadn't been pushed through to Gear yet. You're right, I haven't driven in that area for awhile.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by cch View post
    No, I haven't read any blog. I just read the newspaper online everyday. The way the roundabout story was written sounded as though Division hadn't been pushed through to Gear yet. You're right, I haven't driven in that area for awhile.
    The Hawkeye is just as full of mis-information.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post

Nice simple to the point - design, sign, and educate.

Does anybody's State Driver Manual address how to drive in a roundabout ?
    I don't think we've included anything in the State Driver Manual on roundabouts, but the AKDOT/PF did send out a postcard explaining how to navigate the new roundabout in Juneau before it opened: http://dot.alaska.gov/stwdplng/proje...rd_mailing.pdf

See page two of the postcard for a pretty good explanation of how drivers, bicyclists, and pedestrians should use the roundabout differently (color-coded according to mode).

Of course, at first there were still plenty of people who tried yeilding in the roundabout, which led to lots of short-term problems.

This roundabout (see more info at http://dot.alaska.gov/stwdplng/proje...an/index.shtml) replaced a "bent T" intersection where there were quite a few accidents, and southbound folks turning left onto the bridge were essentially stuck until a kind-hearted northboud driver would stop to let them enter traffic.

The only complaint that has come very often since the construction of the roundabout is that now the northbound folks are at the disadvantage, as the southbound drivers enter the roundabout at will and the northbound drivers have to yield to them, where it used to be the opposite situation.

Oh well, at least it's safer than it used to be.

     
    Registered
    Oct 2004

Roundabout centers

Are there any good examples of roundabout-centers becoming usable space? Obviously, putting businesses with parking there is a bad idea. But as green space, all it does is look good, since nobody's gonna cross the roundabout to use any sort of green space there.

It's fine if you intend the center to be just eye candy, but it seems kinda odd for New Urbanists to be recommending these. They are large road features with large areas of dead space at the center, and they impair pedestrianism on both of the intersecting thorofares, since there is never a lull in traffic that can be used to cross.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Does anybody's State Driver Manual address how to drive in a roundabout?
    Rotaries (large disorganized roundabouts) have been all over New England for decades. I am sure that the driver manuals address the issue.

The only problem is that in Connecticut the law is the opposite of the other surrounding states. Those in the rotary are expected to yield to those entering.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ardecila View post
    Are there any good examples of roundabout-centers becoming usable space? Obviously, putting businesses with parking there is a bad idea. But as green space, all it does is look good, since nobody's gonna cross the roundabout to use any sort of green space there.

It's fine if you intend the center to be just eye candy, but it seems kinda odd for New Urbanists to be recommending these. They are large road features with large areas of dead space at the center, and they impair pedestrianism on both of the intersecting thorofares, since there is never a lull in traffic that can be used to cross.
    Check out Campus Martius in Downtown Detroit
    http://www.campusmartiuspark.org/park_siteplan.htm
    http://www.pps.org/great_public_spac...c_place_id=913

Although not a true traffic circle because it is signalized, it is large enough to have several activities happening at the same time.

Washington DC has much the same thing going on in several circles. The largest and most well known one being DuPont Circle.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Nov 2005
    I believe, by definition, some of the above examples are not considered "roundabouts". My understanding is that modern roudabouts must have 'yield on entry' right of way, deflection around the center island, and flared entries. Everything else is a traffic circle or a rotary or something else...

Alaska has a great roundabout page (with cool animations!):
    http://www.alaskaroundabouts.com/index.html

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Iron, I agree 100% that these are not in the strictest sense the same thing. Operationally they work very differently. Howeverthey are axamples of how you can incorporate it (a la new urbanisimesque) into a city.

How can you utilize that space without some sort of safe pedestrian crossing? Only thing else I can think of is an underground passage which would eat up far too much space, and have a high expense.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Crazy roundabout design
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 04 Dec 2007, 5:19 PM
  2. Roundabout designs
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 02 Dec 2005, 9:30 AM
  3. Best. Editorial. Ever.