Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: PUD as land use?

  1. #1
    Member
    Registered
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    9

    PUD as land use?

    This may seem like a silly question, but do you think it's a good idea to use 'PUD' as a land use category, rather than a zoning classification or actual physical space? I've been asked to review a comp plan for a small town (pop. 5k) in a rural area, and there are some strange distinctions on the land use map, one of which is a separate category for land use.

    It seems to me that it would be better (and by better I mean simpler and clearer) to use a traditional land use category in this case - residential, open space, commercial, or mixed. Maybe it would be different for a larger jurisdiction, but we're talking about three small sections of a very small town.

    So what do you think? Is it acceptable to use PUD as a land use category? Wise? Depends on the situation?

  2. #2
    Cyburbian zman's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    9,035
    Blog entries
    2
    Quote Originally posted by chan_dragon
    This may seem like a silly question, but do you think it's a good idea to use 'PUD' as a land use category, rather than a zoning classification or actual physical space? I've been asked to review a comp plan for a small town (pop. 5k) in a rural area, and there are some strange distinctions on the land use map, one of which is a separate category for land use.

    It seems to me that it would be better (and by better I mean simpler and clearer) to use a traditional land use category in this case - residential, open space, commercial, or mixed. Maybe it would be different for a larger jurisdiction, but we're talking about three small sections of a very small town.

    So what do you think? Is it acceptable to use PUD as a land use category? Wise? Depends on the situation?
    With us, PUDs can differ greatly depending upon the language and uses outlined within each. To use the PUD designation as a land-use category seems to breed trouble and confusion down the line.
    My short answer, I would NOT use PUD as a designation, unless PUD is considered to be only one thing and it is specifically defined as one thing within the Zoning Code.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

    You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

  3. #3
    Cyburbian Habanero's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,662
    Because PUDs can encompass so many different uses I'm not sure how you could use it as its own classification, but that's just my first thought.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

  4. #4
    Cyburbian SGB's avatar
    Registered
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Champlain-Adirondack Biosphere Reserve
    Posts
    3,387
    We shows PUDs as a categorie on our zoning map, and note that each PUD has its own distinct set of use and area regulations.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

  5. #5
    moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    at the neighboring pub
    Posts
    5,429
    Did they use "PUD" as a substitute designation for mixed use? Perhaps they weren't comfortable placing the phrase "mixed use" on a map or had a difficult property owner that didn't want the damned guvmit telling them what to do on their land, etc.

    We show PUD on our zoning map, but not on future or existing land use maps. PUD is a set of uses, not a use unto itself.

    "Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

    - Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

  6. #6
    Member
    Registered
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    9

    Yep.

    You've all reinforced what I was thinking. There's either been a mistake, or there's some other reason I don't know about. Thanks for the reinforcement.

  7. #7
    (for now) Frozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    Staff meeting
    Posts
    8,704
    My experience that PUD-like things are usually a land use designation or a process that allows for board review for permitted "as-of-right" projects.

    I lean toward PUDs being similar to a special use approval. Meaning that something is designed using the standards (setbacks, FAR, street design, etc.) of the underlying zoning district, but must conform to a paln approved during the PUD approval process.

    Though, the files/backup material regarding the approval had better be well documented and accessible, because it can be an administrative nightmare otherwise.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

    The ends can justify the means.

  8. #8
    Member
    Registered
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    My experience that PUD-like things are usually a land use designation or a process that allows for board review for permitted "as-of-right" projects.

    I lean toward PUDs being similar to a special use approval. Meaning that something is designed using the standards (setbacks, FAR, street design, etc.) of the underlying zoning district, but must conform to a paln approved during the PUD approval process.

    Though, the files/backup material regarding the approval had better be well documented and accessible, because it can be an administrative nightmare otherwise.
    so it is a land use designation? as in, you go out into the field, write down what is actually there, and put it on a map as a pud? not as mixed, or split it up into, say, residential, open space, etc.? where was it used - the chicago area?

  9. #9
    Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in a meeting
    Posts
    8,747
    I agree with zman

  10. #10
         
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Funky Town, CO.
    Posts
    432
    I once worked for a small community where most of the undeveloped land was zoned something like PUDZ . Every new development had to go through a PUD process. Nothing was a use-by-right. However, either the community plan or area plan created a bubble map that included uses planned for those areas (residential, commercial, industrial, open space). If a developer wanted a different use they had to amend the plan before applying for a preliminary PUD approval. There should be something to guide applicants, citizens and staff as to what is an appropriate use in a general area.

  11. #11
    (for now) Frozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    Staff meeting
    Posts
    8,704
    Quote Originally posted by chan_dragon
    so it is a land use designation? as in, you go out into the field, write down what is actually there, and put it on a map as a pud? not as mixed, or split it up into, say, residential, open space, etc.? where was it used - the chicago area?
    No, where I work now, it is bascially just a development approval process, but the underlying zoning bulk regulations and permitted/special uses apply.

    But some munis. have them as dstinct zoning designations and the applicable bulk regulations/permitted uses are part of it.

    I prefer PUD or Planned Development as a review process when the 'as of right' development process is present.

    In a mandatory commission review environment, PUD as a distrcit dsignation seems fine.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

    The ends can justify the means.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Definitions Land-use or land use?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 01 Feb 2012, 5:51 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 02 Dec 2008, 11:29 AM
  3. The land of Oz
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 01 Feb 2006, 11:56 AM
  4. Replies: 32
    Last post: 08 Jun 2004, 7:35 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last post: 18 Aug 2003, 8:53 AM