Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: burnout

Registered
    Aug 2005

burnout

i am so ready to be done with school! 2.5 years of grad school is enough. i've learned a ton, met a lot of great people, and am now ready to move on to the next stage of my life...

as soon as i get this stupid final project finished.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol
    i am so ready to be done with school! 2.5 years of grad school is enough. i've learned a ton, met a lot of great people, and am now ready to move on to the next stage of my life...

I know what you mean!

I'm just finishing up my second degree, after a three year school hiatus. I'm looking forward to soon getting into a job (and a city) I can settle into a little bit.

Hard to start a relationship and plant roots if you don't know where the hell to dig the shovel into

Registered
    May 2005
    In the spirit of commiserating, I too am slogging through an unfinished professional project. Also 2 and a half years of putting my wife and son through a student-loan funded lifestyle. And now we have a 7 month old baby! Aaaaagh!

I am actually working full-time at a job (just started) which makes me feel like I entered the real world again, only that there is no time to work on the project...

I keep telling myself it is just a report, not my life's work. Just get it done...

So easy to say, so hard to do.

Good luck!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    May 2003
    Yes school is a miserable, grinding experience, but I only have a semester left!

I don't think I hate anything more than I hate those rich kids whose parents pay for their education at easy private schools such that for them, school is sitting around drinking and smoking pot all day.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    *Sigh* I feel your pain....just finished my B.S. which took 6 years to get but only the last year was full time. I too have a daughter and husband and it's been a bit of a struggle taking 20 credit hours a semester, working part time, and trying to apply to grad school and study for the GRE. I survived.

On to grad school in the fall...on a scholarship no less, so it won't be as burdensome and taking 12 credits will be a nice change from 20-23 writing intensive credit hours.

Cheers to all...and keep at it since every day that passes is one day closer to the goal.

Kim
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2006
    How was the math section on the GRE, btw? Just wondering how much I need to brush up.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Clore
    How was the math section on the GRE, btw? Just wondering how much I need to brush up.
    It's pretty much all algebra and geometry, I don't recall any trig or calculus on it. Basically just brush up on all the geometry formulas, and things like quadratic equations, linear equations, properties of exponents (there were a lot of exponent problems).

The mean math score for social science majors is 590 or so and the mean verbal score is 495. The writing section mean is 4.2.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol

My final project is due August 7th...I feel your pain! Good lucky, Dandy Warhol!
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Clore
    I got one of those CDs from the bookstore that has sample tests and some strategic advice. It was actually very helpful just to get into the rhythm of this kind of testing again (I couldn't even remember taking my SATs - I'm not sure I can even count that high...)

There was definitely no calculus on the test and, as noted, I think it only went as far as algebram and geometry.

Good Luck!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Thank Gods I am no longer in school. I hated it from 1st grade through the end of my Master's.

Bleh, phooey, bah, etc., but good luck you guys.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    Yes school is a miserable, grinding experience, .

So is work

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon
    My final project is due August 7th...I feel your pain! Good lucky, Dandy Warhol!
    good luck to you too! i think my final draft is due August 1st. errr, i should probably find that out for sure, shouldn't i?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by wahday
    I got one of those CDs from the bookstore that has sample tests and some strategic advice. It was actually very helpful just to get into the rhythm of this kind of testing again (I couldn't even remember taking my SATs - I'm not sure I can even count that high...)

There was definitely no calculus on the test and, as noted, I think it only went as far as algebram and geometry.

Good Luck!
    Once you register for the GRE....ETS sends you a CD that has a math review on it at no additional cost. If you have concerns about your writing...look at the example material posted there, also there is $10 writing analysis tool that you can purchase from them which was pretty helpful as you write an essay and submit it and they send your score back.

Kim

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Burnout
    Perry's Cantina (archive)
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 30 Sep 2011, 8:26 AM
  2. Overcoming work place burnout
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 46
    Last post: 13 Oct 2009, 3:38 PM
  3. Overcoming work place burnout
    Friday Afternoon Club