Thread: Tempe, AZ will go wall-to-wall wireless

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Tempe, AZ will go wall-to-wall wireless

Article from the AP Wire:
    http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...orld-headlines

Highlights:
    Call it a municipal status symbol in the digital age: a city blanketed by a wireless Internet network, accessible at competitive prices throughout the town's homes, cafes, offices and parks.

Tempe officials hope that by making high-speed Internet as accessible as water or electricity across its 40 square miles, it will attract more technology and biotech companies -- and the young, upwardly mobile employees they bring.

Roughly 400 antenna boxes mounted on light poles throughout the city will be used to stitch together the network,...

The city of Tempe gave the company access to its light poles in exchange for use of the network in transmitting data to and from city offices and vehicles,...

Elsewhere in the nation, cities have run into heavy resistance from telecom companies, which argue that the free market should dictate the cost and availability of service.

At least 14 states have passed laws limiting municipal Internet service, and other states are expected to consider similar limits, Leanza said. Arizona does not have such a law.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    In a city like Tempe, the availability of inexpensive wireless broadband is hardly an incentive for economic development. It is already available to the talented professionals who want it, and businesses will have their own T1 or other source. The economic development benefits of broadband are mostly limited to smaller rural communities that would not be served by the private market.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Isnít Philly like that too?

I know Grand Rapids Michigan is in the process of it.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Oakland County, Michigan 2000 population 1,218,000 is working towards being 100% wireless. There are a number of news articles regarding the project.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Downtown Detroit is supposed to be wireless too, although I don't have a notebook so how the heck am I supposed to know? I do know we have several large hi-tech companies with major facilities here (Compuware, EDS, Visteon IT Department).

Remember isn't Toledo supposed to be the leader in this stuff. Its interesting to see this stuff happening in places like Philly, Detroit, Toledo, Grand Rapids, all those towns that were left for dead, now leading the charge.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Downtown SLC is going wireless as well, with several hotspots already in place. I think the plan is to have the whole downtown area wireless in the next 6-9 months.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004
    Dntn Spokane did the same thing as well. . . I think it's a good thing for tourism for instance 2 co-workers of mine were complaining that they had a hard time finding wifi while at a conference in San Fransisco recently. . it sucks having to duck into coffee shops or drop money for wifi at the hotel. . . etc, etc.

And it woudl be really great for the students at ASU. . .

     
    Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by planner?
    Dntn Spokane did the same thing as well. . . I think it's a good thing for tourism for instance 2 co-workers of mine were complaining that they had a hard time finding wifi while at a conference in San Fransisco recently. . it sucks having to duck into coffee shops or drop money for wifi at the hotel. . . etc, etc.

And it woudl be really great for the students at ASU. . .

As an ASU student I can say that yes it will be nice. There are many spots around campus that have signal now, but city wide would be great. And I don't understand how anyone can work on a computer for hours on end at a Starbucks?!

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by eabos
    As an ASU student I can say that yes it will be nice. There are many spots around campus that have signal now, but city wide would be great. And I don't understand how anyone can work on a computer for hours on end at a Starbucks?!
    Does ASU have a planning program?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Bar Harbor is working on this too - 2 million plus visitors a year, makes sense to have this -

Registered
    Sep 1999
    St Cloud, FL (2 counties south of me) went wireless today!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by silverthorne
    Does ASU have a planning program?
    Masters program, I believe
    "You can measure the health of a city by the vitality and energy of its streets and public open spaces.Ē-- William H. Whyte..

Registered
    Oct 2003
    ASU's program has undergrad and graduate. It is under the College of Design.

http://www.asu.edu/caed/sop/html/program.htm

Tempe should have another high speed competitor here soon as well. Internet over powerlines. At least one company is trying to have a rollout for next year. Tempe needed more options the phone company (qwest) had lines so old that DSL was an option and the cable company (cox) only recently (last couple years) provided high speed internet to many areas of Tempe.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Aurora, IL is doing this too... free wi-fi to everyone, anywhere in the city, but you have to watch advertisements. You can pay $20/month to get it commercial-free.

Registered
    Sep 2005

Why free wireless?

My gut instinct is that free wi-fi would be a wonderful marketting tool for our small struggling city, but I am not sure exactly what its limitations are. Could a business use it, or would it mostly be for casual use by residents, visitors, etc. who have laptops? Any thoughts?
    Thanks!

Registered
    Jun 2006
    How does city-wide wireless work? Is it free-access to anyone? No ISP or payment?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Occupy Wall Street
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 209
    Last post: 16 Jul 2012, 3:20 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Jul 2010, 9:12 AM
  3. Wall heights
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 17 Apr 2006, 3:21 PM