Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Should USA Soccer Rules Change?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Should USA Soccer Rules Change?

This thread is somewhat related to the World Cup thread.....only because of the subject matter, the quick exit from same games by the USA, and the lack of enthusiasm for the game in this here US of A.

I was listening to a talk radio show on Friday and the commentators were saying that the US should change the rules of soccer that is played here in the states. The reason.....increase the scoring opportunities.

Face it, America.....we can't compete at the level of those other countries, so why not make changes for our internal enjoyment? Most Americans who are only very marginal soccer fans would rather watch a game that is 7-5 rather than a 1-0 game or a 2-1 game. We like scoring.

OK, purists.....bash me. I can take it. But I know I am right.....the game in the USA will remain confined to soccer mom suburbia unless we open the scoring gates.

What say you?

Renaldobear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jun 2005
    They tried to "americanize" the game before, and it usually fails miserably..

The MLS tried using a countdown clock that stopped for injuries... widening the goal, having tied games end in a shootout, etc... within 4-5 years all these rules were abandoned and they play international rules now.

I think the old NASL used an "offisides" line 35 yards from the goal and used that for offsides (broke the field into zones similar to hockey.

Frankly i don't like the idea of changing rules... you wind up alienating the fans of the game that follow it internationally. Attendance has grown at every level of the game (NCAA, USL 1st division, and MLS)... I don't think soccer will ever realistically compete with baseball/football.. but it is finding its niche and is becomming more popular. I think fans that take the time to get interested in the game will learn to like it.

I think internationally, FIFA needs to make some tweeks to the game to ensure less stalling. Something needs to be done to punish players that stall and fake injuries... They also need to forget this harsher enforcement of rules that caused so many otherwise good games to be ruined by yellow and red cards by over egotistical refs...

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I think the notion of Americans liking scoring is a misnomor. A footgame usually has 3 or scores a side its just they give a higher point value to them. Basketball is declining in popularity and it has a ton of scoring.

The first generation that grew up playing soccer is in there thirties and with them it has gained in popularity. All of the best players for the US are in Europe. Until something happens that captures the imagination of Americans. The US won the gold in hockey in 1980 but it took another 12 plus years until hockey even started entering the main stream conscience of Americans.

Soccer should focus on the regions of the country where it is popular, LA, Columbus, OH, DC area, upstate New York and retain talent within the sport. Most kids quit playing soccer when they are 12 as they move to other sports.

When the MLS brings in one of the European teams to play the US national team or an MLS team they uually sell out quickly. The MLS is a minor league soccer league. But ultimately the market will decide is soccer is to be popular in this country. But with the lingering notion that soccer is a communist sport and is unamerican soccer. Rule changes will not make the sport more "American."

Rule changes are short term answer to a long term question.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon
    I think the notion of Americans liking scoring is a misnomor. A footgame usually has 3 or scores a side its just they give a higher point value to them. Basketball is declining in popularity and it has a ton of scoring.

The first generation that grew up playing soccer is in there thirties and with them it has gained in popularity. All of the best players for the US are in Europe. Until something happens that captures the imagination of Americans. The US won the gold in hockey in 1980 but it took another 12 plus years until hockey even started entering the main stream conscience of Americans.

Soccer should focus on the regions of the country where it is popular, LA, Columbus, OH, DC area, upstate New York and retain talent within the sport. Most kids quit playing soccer when they are 12 as they move to other sports.

When the MLS brings in one of the European teams to play the US national team or an MLS team they uually sell out quickly. The MLS is a minor league soccer league. But ultimately the market will decide is soccer is to be popular in this country. But with the lingering notion that soccer is a communist sport and is unamerican soccer. Rule changes will not make the sport more "American."

Rule changes are short term answer to a long term question.
    A radio guy in Milwaukee made that good point a week or so ago, too, saying that, for example, an NFL game that ends 21-14 has three scores by one side and two by the other. And a thought that I then had is that a 'fútbol' game normally lasts a total of about two hours while it often takes 3.5 hours to complete an NFL 'American football' game.

I also fully agree with you, the FIFA rules are fine as they are and in the rest of the World, the game as played by those rules is wildly popular.

If anything, the USA professional/semi-professional game should be further 'internationalized' by combining the various leagues into one 'federation' and dividing it into various strength-related divisions, with teams being promoted and relegated between those divisions at the end of each season based on their playing records.

The now dominant in the USA NFL did not enjoy immediate success. It was organized in 1920 with teams entering and exiting at a torrid pace until the 1930s, when it finally settled on eight 'survivors'. From then on, it slowly grew and added teams but never really got past the level of being a 'niche' sport, much like today's NHL, until the marketing and financial genius of Pete Roselle came along in the mid-1960s, 45 years after the league started.

I see 'fútbol' following a similar track with the added bonus being that it is so simple and cheap to play and that everyone on the field has a chance to meaningfully handle the ball at any time. Add to that the fact that those kids are running around the whole time, burning oodles of energy while having fun doing it makes that a long-term no-brainer.

Mike

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920
    I also fully agree with you, the FIFA rules are fine as they are and in the rest of the World, the game as played by those rules is wildly popular.

If anything, the USA professional/semi-professional game should be further 'internationalized' by combining the various leagues into one 'federation' and dividing it into various strength-related divisions, with teams being promoted and relegated between those divisions at the end of each season based on their playing records.

I see 'fútbol' following a similar track with the added bonus being that it is so simple and cheap to play and that everyone on the field has a chance to meaningfully handle the ball at any time. Add to that the fact that those kids are running around the whole time, burning oodles of energy while having fun doing it makes that a long-term no-brainer.
    FIFA rules are not fine. I can't believe they went back to the extra time rule where if someone scores they continue playing. I don't understand that rule. I think the golden goal rule should be back into play. I think they should play until they drop.

Also, I also thought they were calling more for diving. I guess that rule was thrown out.

Well MLS is becoming internationalized. Chivas USA, although based in LA has some Mexican flavour. As well FC Toronto will be coming in next year. I sure hope they bring in some international talent. Not has beens. I know MLS has some sort of salary cap in place but I think if Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (the owners of FC Toronto) can bring over a player or two from Europe who is half decent then MLS will be recognized as a league to be reckoned with. Don't see it happening though for at least 5-10 years.

Speaking of international flavour, there was a report in the Toronto Star over the weekend saying how Canada will be "minority -majority" within the next 10 years. In that there will be a decline in interest for hockey and baseball and growing interest in soccer and cricket. If that's the case then "football" will flourish and will probably raise the interest in North America.

The other night there was a great game that ended 1-0. A rookie pitcher with the Cardinals threw a no-hitter until the eighth inning and gave up a home run against the Pale Hose. First time in 92 years (+/-) a Cardinals pitcher threw a 1-hitter and lost. I'd say the 45000 people that watched it thought it was a pretty durned exciting game.

People that don't understand soccer certainly have no idea what it feels like to play/watch a nil-nil game that is in the 88th minute. To me, at least, it is as thrilling as a no-hitter in the top of the ninth.

What I don't get is the idea that since the US is out, people should no longer be interested. Just because BGSU loses in the NCAAs doesn't mean people stop watching the tournament, does it? There's still some great games being played. Pick somebody to root for (or against) and enjoy great soccer.

Registered
    May 2005
    Personally, I think the issue with the level of play by the US team could be best served by more of these kids going to Europe to play in the clubs. The level of competition is very high and its difficult r even impossible to get that kind of seasoned experience here. This is a how a lot of teams outsid eof Europe build their capacity. In the US, with such a wide range of professional (and even just recreational) sports options, our bets athletes are shared among a lot of different sports (and soccer is not as attractive as some). Somehow the professional players need to be consistently face tough teams to get their chops up.

Unfortunately, it seems many young US players would rather get into the American pro league and cash in rather than slug it out for a few more years in the European clubs. Call it the impetuousness of American youth.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by andreplanner
    FIFA rules are not fine. I can't believe they went back to the extra time rule where if someone scores they continue playing. I don't understand that rule. I think the golden goal rule should be back into play. I think they should play until they drop.

Also, I also thought they were calling more for diving. I guess that rule was thrown out.

Well MLS is becoming internationalized. Chivas USA, although based in LA has some Mexican flavour. As well FC Toronto will be coming in next year. I sure hope they bring in some international talent. Not has beens. I know MLS has some sort of salary cap in place but I think if Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (the owners of FC Toronto) can bring over a player or two from Europe who is half decent then MLS will be recognized as a league to be reckoned with. Don't see it happening though for at least 5-10 years.

Speaking of international flavour, there was a report in the Toronto Star over the weekend saying how Canada will be "minority -majority" within the next 10 years. In that there will be a decline in interest for hockey and baseball and growing interest in soccer and cricket. If that's the case then "football" will flourish and will probably raise the interest in North America.
    I agree with your first point and in fact I didn't know that the 'Golden Goal' was dropped until just a couple of days ago. I am also not really up on the finer points of parsing what is a 'play on', what is a foul and what is a red card. Overall, though, FIFA rules are fine. As for breaking ties in games that must have a winner, I too would drop the PK shootout and go until they drop, but I would also allow an additional substitute for every OT period. Again, this is dressing around the edges, but the basic FIFA playing rules are just fine as they are.

I definitely am seeing a growing interest in 'fútbol' here in the Appleton area (there was a BIG regional tournament here over the weekend) and it is now not unusual for me to drive past a local park and see a pick-up game going on among Asians and/or hispanics, or even among those locals of multi-generational European descent.

I also remember the 'Cricket' thread discussion from last year and the tidbit on the fact that if it were not an east coast-west coast rift among cricket-playing immigrant groups, the USA would be now a 'Test' nation.

(I wish that there would be more of these sports shown on TV here. Grrrrr.... )

Mike

Registered
    Aug 2005

Ot

Quote Originally posted by mgk920
    snip

(I wish that there would be more of these sports shown on TV here. Grrrrr.... )

Mike
    i think this is part of the problem with popularity in the US. if US television broadcast more international games, including the leagues where US players have gone, i think more people would be interested and attracted to watching (and playing) the game.

personally, i am not a huge watcher of sports on TV, but if i knew that there were good soccer games, US & international, be televised, without me having to buy super supreme cable so i can get Sky Sports and Fox Sports i'd probably watch more games on TV.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2003

Injuries

Have to say I enjoy watching World Cup. But as a hockey fan, the dramatics that happen from bumps and bruises are laughable. Props to the American who's eye was cut against Italy, he just ran off the field. That gurney is stupid.
    Ohhhh Mama, can this really be the end!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. MLS and the State of American Soccer
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 05 Aug 2012, 12:31 AM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 09 Jun 2011, 6:01 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last post: 28 Oct 2010, 3:46 PM
  4. Replies: 6