Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Future planner? (was: for the future)

Registered
    Jun 2006

Future planner? (was: for the future)

Hey everyone, I'm seventeen and i live in Edmonton, Canada.
    I don't know exactly what i want to be, or pursue in the furture in regards to education and so on.
    In my spare time i will draw maps, of fictional intersections, highway interchanges or small communities, all the way to making large cities. Most of my drawings you can see the lanes, crosswalks, where trees would be, and say if i'm drawing an intersection- the barrier of the construction, so when i draw them i don't go into that area ( say thats a building or something )
    I really enjoy drawing them, and i ask my dad and show him the drawings and ( he's a truck driver and has been for 30 years) says theyre really life like, and he can see most of them working in real life.
    I'm not quite sure what proffesion you would call this, urban planning, urban design, or a civil engineer.
    I was just wondering, what should i follow in the line of education to become some who designs intersections, and such?

thanks a lot you guys.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Civil engineering or a specialization in transportation planning is what you are describing. It looks like you are looking at more than just pure movement of cars, and are including pedestrian needs. Do you also look for opportunities to incorporate transit? bike lanes? where appropriate?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    Civil engineering or a specialization in transportation planning is what you are describing. It looks like you are looking at more than just pure movement of cars, and are including pedestrian needs. Do you also look for opportunities to incorporate transit? bike lanes? where appropriate?
    this is fourtyCANADA ( i couldent log back in )

and yes, i always try to add transit, bike lanes and so on.
    i'm a new urbanist when it comes to public transportation and pedestrian needs.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally posted by fourtyINDIA
    this is fourtyCANADA ( i couldent log back in )

and yes, i always try to add transit, bike lanes and so on.
    i'm a new urbanist when it comes to public transportation and pedestrian needs.

Sounds to me like you know what you want to do... your next step = read, read and read. You are only 17?!?! I am 25 and decided less than a year ago I wanted to do something in the planning field. You have an 8 year jump on me... use your time wisely.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. New Future Planner Here
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 08 Feb 2008, 9:32 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 03 Dec 2007, 10:01 AM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 27 Apr 2007, 1:04 PM
  4. Replies: 20
    Last post: 26 Aug 2005, 9:11 AM