Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: "The Daily Show" wants to interview you. What Do You Do?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries

"The Daily Show" wants to interview you. What Do You Do?

Today's newspaper had a story about "The Daily Show" doing a story on the city of Butte charging people to view the Berkely Pit (a huge open pit mine full of toxic water) as a tourist attraction.

One of the people interviewed is the planning director of Butte-Silver Bow City/County. Heck of a nice guy, by the way. He went along with the joke. Figured it was good (free) publicity for the project.

So, a Daily Show correspondent wants to interview you to lampoon something your city or county is doing, what would you do? Do the interview or decline the interview? If you do do it, would you play it straight or play along the the joke?

I was thinking about it. It is my favorite show, so I would be inclined to do it, unless the higher up absolutely forbid it. The hard decision is whether to play it straight. Sure, you want to seem hip, but sometimes the best "stories" are when the interviewed person is totally serious. Maybe I would be willing to be the designated "clueless" "straight man" for the betterment of the art.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2003
    ^-- Play it straight. It's classy to be able to make fun of youself.

One of my favorite Daily Show interviews was when they were talking about Paris IL, and the interviewer asked one of the spokespeople "So do you think Paris is the 'city of love'" and she says, with a straight face, "Well, we do have one of the highest teen pregnancy rates in the state."
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I am sure that my superiors would rather fire me/see me dead before I did an interview with the Daily Show.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    One of my favorite Daily Show interviews was when they were talking about Paris IL, and the interviewer asked one of the spokespeople "So do you think Paris is the 'city of love'" and she says, with a straight face, "Well, we do have one of the highest teen pregnancy rates in the state."
    ooohhh!!! I gotta find out who said this. I used to work in Paris and know most of the players there. I never heard this before

BTW there is nothing else in Paris for teenagers to do

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I would play along, and if the powers that be don't want me to, I would play extra dumb.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    May 2004
    I dont know- playing along might make it less funny.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I would probably play it straight, although it would be hard not laugh. My lovely ex-employer, Davis CA, had its crazy mayor interviewed soon after the Daily Show debuted. It was hilarious, they called out everything wacky about that town: the frog tunnels, the gal that got arrested for snoring too loud, etc. Best laugh I had for years. I wish they had old archived shows on the internet. I'd love to find that one again.

     
    Registered
    May 2006
    Yeah I would play into the joke being a straight man and just making everything absurd

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Play it straight, because if you (the interviewee) tries to be "funny", you probably won't be.

Let the interviewer do the "funny". They're the professionals.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    May 2003
    I imagine they coach you on how to act and give you more takes if you screw up. It's not like you're doing it live.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    I would probably play it straight, although it would be hard not laugh. My lovely ex-employer, Davis CA, had its crazy mayor interviewed soon after the Daily Show debuted. It was hilarious, they called out everything wacky about that town: the frog tunnels, the gal that got arrested for snoring too loud, etc. Best laugh I had for years. I wish they had old archived shows on the internet. I'd love to find that one again.
    Off-topic:
    LOL, Frog Tunnels! Now I remember, you were the winner of the first "Identify the Structure".

I agree with the others that say play it straight / go dead pan serious.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Paris Illinois?! God I hate that town....
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Paris Illinois?! God I hate that town....
    Bad experience in Paris? I can't imagine that Discussion on Paris would probably be more appropriate in the "Brain Drain" thread

Registered
    Aug 2001
    What, you mean there are, or ever were, people in Paris Illinois with a brain?! Not in the early 1990's. "Culture" meant the Legion, and fine dining was limited to Hardees.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I think I would be inclined to brush up on the topic and try to play it "straight" but throw in "serious" yet over the top answers (a la "well we do have the highest teen pregnancy rate in the state"). Um, exagerated "straight" so it works well for being lampooned (assuming I could actually pull it off).

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I would have to change my online name handle to Canned Biscuit because I would certainly be fired the moment the episode made air. I say leave being lampooned in Daily Show interviews and such to elected officials who, I assume, aren't even aware that they are playing it straight for laughs.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004
    I think "my" city would be ok with me going along with it, as long as it wasn't anything too ridiculous. Our Mayor is a practical joker (in private) and our City Administrator is very laid back, so i think they would see it as funny, for what it was meant to be.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    What is there to do in Butte besides seeing an open pit of toxic waste?
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon
    I lived in Livingston, MT for about six months and worked at a restaurant on an interstate interchange which would get hordes of tour buses with Japanese tourists doing the Yellowstone to Glacier Nat'l Park run. One day a Japanese tourist comes in and says in very broken English "Tell me how get to Butt." We figure out he is wanting to go to Butte (Byoot, not Butt). We mark his map and my co-worker said "He doesn't know how right he was in calling it Butt."
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon
    A shout out for Butte. If you have never been to Butte on the 3rd of July, then you haven't seen a real fireworks show. Those miners know explosives! We go every year, to one special area (I will not divulge the location). There is an impressive city-sanctioned fireworks show, plus every neighborhood has their own. And we are not talking normal fireworks in the neighborhoods. These people spend bucks to do the displays. Fireworks going off behind you and in front and to either side. WHEW!

Butte also has some amazing neighborhoods and real civic pride. Not many neighborhoods have headframes (structures that hoist ore and people out of the underground shafts). It has a colorful history and some of the most interesting people you will ever meet.

Unfortunately much of it is butt-ugly too.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 9:38 AM
  2. "Practical" Interview for planning position?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 22 Aug 2007, 11:35 AM
  3. Interview question: "what are your weaknesses?"
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 61
    Last post: 12 Jun 2007, 10:09 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 05 Jan 2006, 4:44 PM
  5. Replies: 9
    Last post: 04 Mar 2003, 1:59 PM