Urban planning community

Thread: It's kinda bad

Cyburbian Emeritus Perry Norton's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

It's kinda bad

In response to: It's worse than you thought, Earl posted by John Yoegel on December 15, 2000 at 08:25:26:

There was a major mess, largely created in Florida, but just imagine that pretty much the same sort of thing would have happened in any state where the count was so low. I blame the federal court for "not" fixing that mess, but I'd go easy on the personnel of the court - they had little to go on.

Let's go with PollyAnna for awhile, John. After all there was a number of law professors from NYU who urged the same thing. Besides, Christmas is close. After then, well it's a new day.

Registered
    Aug 2001

It's kinda bad

I agree with all of you who have posted comments on the Supremes and the Florida mess. Perry, you are right about trying to let this go and enjoy Christmas and get on to a new day.

But something is sticking in my gut. Some political science I took in college, along with planning

In this country, we are supposed to have three branches of government ----Legislative, Executive and Judicial, which keep each other honest. Checks and balances.
    As this came down the stretch, my hope was that the U.S. Supreme Court would either stay out of it, as something best left to the State of Florida, or else do something profound ----a solution of non-partisan, and enlightened leadership. But they did not, in my humble opinion.

They caved in to politics and wrote a hotly debated majority opinion which seemed much more political than judicial.

Even if the result had been the same, I would have slept better at night if the Supremes had done their job in a professional manner. But they did not.
    Now I am fearful that there is no lofty branch of government and no real checks and balances.

But maybe everyone will wise up and do their job once this matter settles down.
    We need leaders and judges who love this country and the ideals upon which it was founded.

Again, all this is in my humble opinion.

Have a wonderful Christmas everyone.

And together, we will all have a good 2001. My dream of the Cubs in the World Series may also come true.

Earl in Barrow

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 270
    Last post: 07 Aug 2014, 4:54 PM
  2. Fetal position/desk fort kinda days
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 18 Jan 2011, 9:53 AM
  3. Question and kinda rant-
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 13 Nov 2002, 4:10 PM