Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Important Events in Your Lives

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Important Events in Your Lives

Today marks the completion of two years of employment for me in Florida. Wow, where did the time go? Iíve grown, learned, and accomplished a great deal during my time here (notwithstanding hiring Rumpy ). Iíll commemorate the occasion with a touch of juice from the fruit of the vine and hoist a toast to the Cyburbians and friends who helped me along the way. Life is good for me at this point, Iím looking forward to bigger and better things, and achieving more life goals. Things can only get better. Iím an eternal optimistócall me foolish if you like.

Sorry for the rambling post, but:
    How do you acknowledge important events in your lives? Are you feeling good about life at this time?
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Life is good for me at this point, Iím looking forward to bigger and better things, and achieving more life goals. Things can only get better. Iím an eternal optimistócall me foolish if you like.
    Remember your cards...your present card was the Wheel of Fortune. You have endless possibilities and you choose your own destiny.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Depends on the event!!
    Each year of my employment anniversary i drowned my sorrows
    Each anniversary of the day I got married, I try not to look at the calendar at all, then I drowned my sorrows
    And anniversary of the day the divorce was final (my birthday ) I celebrate by...you guessed it friends and cocktails

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by sisterceleste
    Remember your cards...your present card was the Wheel of Fortune. You have endless possibilities and you choose your own destiny.
    Your memory is superior to mine. But I'm sure it has nothing to do with the and consumed at Po'Boys.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    always keep a bottle of champagne in the fridge because you never know when something good is going to happen...

and dewars on the shelf when it sucks

lol

on the fence on life right now but it's okay...

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    Depends on the event!!
    Each year of my employment anniversary i drowned my sorrows
    Each anniversary of the day I got married, I try not to look at the calendar at all, then I drowned my sorrows
    And anniversary of the day the divorce was final (my birthday ) I celebrate by...you guessed it friends and cocktails
    I agree with you on every point Jax!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Weeeeellll, I normally celebrate important events out with friends. Sometimes they "get it" more than my family does. Probably not a good thing. But, family doesn't always understand that important doesn't always translate into "good".

Anyway, it's good now. Good job, kid passing summer school, and "there they go again....". Hey, I get to celebrate something every other weekend with a bottle of champagne.....

Registered
    Nov 2002
    In the past week my important events have been being at a job I really like and am excelling at for 3.5 years, my wife starting a career in a great field, my birthday, and as of today, putting myself in debt for the next thirty years on this:

Ordinarily I'd mark the occasion with libations, but tonight I'm celebrating by searching through Cyburbia for ideas on a presentation I'm giving. Can't have party everyday you know.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Congrats on the new digs. Life can be a dream. Looks good.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    In the past week my important events have been being at a job I really like and am excelling at for 3.5 years, my wife starting a career in a great field, my birthday, and as of today, putting myself in debt for the next thirty years on this:

Ordinarily I'd mark the occasion with libations, but tonight I'm celebrating by searching through Cyburbia for ideas on a presentation I'm giving. Can't have party everyday you know.
    That is great!!! Congrats, from Santa!!!! Great looking place!

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    and as of today, putting myself in debt for the next thirty years on this:
    congrats biscuit! looks like a great place.

Tasty beverages of some variety are required at celebrations in our house. Sounds like we are not alone in that...

And yes, life is currently pretty good. My brother is coming to visit tonight through the weekend. We plan to do some mountain biking and go to the benefit bash for the local bike advocacy organization. he's also volunteered to tackle some projects for us... trimming the hedge, repairing the cracks in our front steps... Guess I should pick up a case to celebrate that too!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Off-topic:
    Congrats on the beautiful house, biscuit. I am jealous because I love the housing stock where you are and your's is exactly the form of house I really want (3 story townhouse on a small lot in the center of an urban city).

To celebrate good events, I usually have cake or brownies and maybe turn up the music real loud.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Iím an eternal optimistócall me foolish if you like.

How do you acknowledge important events in your lives? Are you feeling good about life at this time?
    Eternal optimist.... me too. I'm also a hopeless romantic, which makes the two a bad combination.

I really don't have any rituals I go through for events. I don't even think about the day I got married, the day I got divorced, the day this happened or that. However, there are a couple of exceptions. I become very reflective on the birthday's of my children and on the day my Grandma H died.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    to celebrate good events, I usually have cake or brownies and maybe turn up the music real loud.

my kind of par-tay! most of my celebrating involves food. to celebrate my upcoming 30th birthday my BF and i are planning on going out to an upscale restaurant in NOLA. haven't decided which one yet, but that's part of the fun.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The fabric of our lives
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 07 Dec 2012, 4:50 PM
  2. Dog with 9 Lives
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 21 Sep 2007, 2:37 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 16 Oct 2006, 10:09 AM