Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Well known town planners of the world

Well known town planners of the world

Hi all,
    I am writing to this forum from India.
    Currently I am doing a research project on Town Planning.
    So i would like to speak to some of the well known town planners across the world.
    Can anyone suggest me some of the well known town planners across the world along with their contact details so that I may contact them for their insights.
    I will be grateful to that person.
    Regards,
    Rajat Kumar
    India

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    Moved out of the Land use subforum, where this post is really off-topic. Please don't post the same message in multiple subforums.

Also, you're definitely not in Las Cruces. You should change the location field in your profile.

hi dan have changed my location. now can you please help me.

Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Moderator note:
    Moved out of the Land use subforum, where this post is really off-topic. Please don't post the same message in multiple subforums.

Also, you're definitely not in Las Cruces. You should change the location field in your profile.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by rajatssharma
    hi dan have changed my location. now can you please help me.
    Moderator note:
    One more thing I have to remind you of, is one of our rules:

2.8 Homework
    Specific questions about parts of an assignment, or general advice or guidance are permitted. Requests to complete homework assignments are not.

We can guide you in the right direction, but we won't do your research.

That being said, when I read this:

Currently I am doing a research project on Town Planning.
    So i would like to speak to some of the well known town planners across the world.
    It seemed akin to:

"I'm doing a research paper on Catholicism. Can you tell me how to contact the Pope?"
    "I'm doing a research paper on modern architecture. Can you tell me how to contact Richard Meier, Zaha Hazid, Frank Gehry ..."
    "I'm doing a research paper on early personal computing. Id like to talk to Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak ..."
    "I'm writing a paper about the history of Tibet. Can I talk to the Dalai Lama?"

Just like the examples I gave, the best known planners out there are inaccessible to most people except their clients, journalists, authors, and planners and architects that have been in the profession for decades. If I send an email to Andres Duany or Leon Krier, it will probably be deleted without them even reading it. Few of us here are in the "inner circle" with the most well-known planners. Even if I was, the high-profile planners get flooded with requests like yours -- which they ignore for the most part -- and I wouldn't bother them with yet another. That's the main reason why you don't see Peter Calthorpe or Peter Katz posting on Cyburbia. Instead, they have closed listservs so they can communicate amongst themselves, without us riff-raff pestering them with questions.

If you look around a bit, you can find who is highly regarded in the profession, and maybe see find of their writing. Also consider that planners who are well-known in the US might be unknowns in the UK, and vice-versa.

For insight into the profession, best practices, and so on, just ask us. You have to be specific about your questions, though -- no "Please tell me about planning in the US" or "Tell me about urban design" -- and you can't expect us to write your paper. Like I said, we'll point you in the right direction, but ultimately it's your project, not ours.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 18
    Last post: 09 Nov 2010, 9:11 PM
  2. Replies: 47
    Last post: 03 Apr 2006, 8:33 AM
  3. World town planning day
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 08 Nov 2004, 5:22 PM
  4. World Town Planning Day
    Friday Afternoon Club