Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Changes In The Birth Process

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

The Changes In The Birth Process

Just viewed the pics submitted by NHPlanner of Casey. (Great pics!) Technology is sure something. And it is amazing how much the whole birth process has changed since the late 1960's, early 1970's.

Back in my day, the father never had the chance to witness the birth of his child. Most small and mid-sized companies had health insurance policies that did not pay for the costs of the birth. A father couldn't take protected time off (as with the American FMLA laws) to help care for a child after it was born. Most mothers and child stayed in the hospital for about 5-7 days.

My son was born in June, 1970. I lived a city block from the hospital so I could walk over every night after work and spend time with mother and child. But they kicked me out at 9:00 PM. (About the second day, the mother wanted a "special" blanket so I did get back in the room, just for a minute, to give her that blanket.)

In the period before my son was born there were no trips to big clinics for pre-natal care. It was a trip to the family practice doctor who's office was in his basement, on a side street off of Sylvania Avenue. He didn't even have a nurse or a receptionist.....he answered the bell.

There was no technology to tell us the sex of the child. It was a wait and see period. (There was the usual spattering of old wive's tales, superstitions, family patterns, etc.)

Everything went well.....we had a very healthy boy child. (Even without the insurance card. )
    _____

What was your experience with your children? Did you know in advance their sex? Did you know of problems ahead of time (because of technology)? Did you (or your spouse) come home from the hospital within a day or so?

What say you?

From The Cradle To The Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2005
    With our first child, we did not know, nor want to know, the sex. It was a boy. We did not even have an ultrasound, which is par for the course these days.

For the second, my wife had turned 35 and so was in a different "demographic" with increased risks for a number of defects (such as Downs Syndrome) and so they insisted on ultrasounds. We had also lost a baby before that and so were a little more amenable to this prying. As my wife has difficulty not knowing something that others know, we decided to find out the sex. It was a girl. Our rationale was that parenthood has enough surprises, and so knowing the sex didn't spoil anything for us.

As for the actual birth, the first was supposed to be born at home with midwives. We had some problems at the pushing phase, though, and had to transfer to the hospital where they sucked him out with a vacuum. They stayed in the hospital for 24 hours and I was not allowed to spend the night with them. He also went back in for jaundice a few days later and they stuck them in a room so small that allowing me to stay would have violated the fire code. Go figure...

The second child was also born with midwives out of a hospital program and they were fantastic. In fact, we never saw an actual physician all the way from prenatal care to birth. Of course they were there should it have been necessary, but it was rather nice and kept the anxiety level low. Not that I have anything against doctors...

We had a great experience with midwives here in New Mexico where, I believe, the highest percentage of births are attended by them (compared with the rest of the US). The program at our hospital began in the 1970s, but the tradition is, of course, much older, dating back to the Spanish presence, and before them, with the Native communities.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Sep 1999
    My son was born in a hospital that only had old-fashioned labor and delivery rooms. They brought him in during the day but he stayed in the nursery at night. Actually, I listened to the jackhammers and such constructing the "new" labor wing, with the "birthing suites", during much of my 22-hr labor. I am glad there was not a way for D*ckhead to stay with us because he would have kept me awake all night with his snoring. I was in 3.5 days because it was a caesarean birth. The -ex could have tagged along for the birth but chose not to (big clue there!).

I knew what sex Conner would be. Almost lost him, so I had a bunch of ultrasounds to confirm he was still there, and finally I had to ask. That was only 13 years ago, but boy, the difference in the ultrasound images is astounding!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    One of the pro-family aspects of the military seems to be that if it is feasible for the dad (if he is the service member) to be there for the birth, they will do their best to get him there. My husband was given some special duty the last few weeks of my second pregnancy so he would not be deployed at the time of my due date -- some school or some such. I don't recall the details. He was there, holding my hand, for both births and it was kind of "his finest hour" as a husband.

I didn't know the gender of either child beforehand. With my second pregnancy, a combination of "wive's tales" and the fact that my husband was hoping the second one would be a girl so he could have one of each meant we had a pink snowsuit and other girly clothes at the time of birth. The snowsuit was exchanged for a blue one before I checked out of the hospital. We also had a girl's name picked out months ahead of time but chose a boy's name after I started labor "just in case".

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Emily was born in 1993. Since I was 19 and did not have insurance at the time, I was referred to a clinic of certified nurse midwives who were probably the best thing that happened to me in the whole process. I had one ultrasound but the tech was unable to be determined. I had to have an amniocentisis at about five months due to some abnormal test results so I had definitive proof I was having a girl. The only downfall was that I had to deliver at another hospital than I had planned on because the original hospital was overly busy, the substitute hospital hadn't yet built the new labor-delivery suites so I had a room like a closet and had to go down the hall to use the bathroom. The great thing about the nurse midwives was their patience and acceptance and non-judgment of a single and pregnant 19 year old. They even visited us at home after we came from the hospital to make sure I was healing properly and Emily was feeding well.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I knew the sex of both sons before they were born via ultra-sound. Both were born thru c-section. The second after the adulteress had been diagnosed with Guillain-Barré Syndrome.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    My boys were born in 1997 and 2001. I knew the sex of both prior to delivery. Jacob was a cesarean and I stayed in the hospital for a week, my EX was in the surgery room and was able to stay at the hosptial at night with me. As a matter of fact, Jacobs birht was such a big deal to my entire crazy family that EVERYONE was there. I was in labor for 36 hours so all of my aunts, the ex's (we were not married at the time) mother, my father, my brother EVERYONE was in the room at some point of labor. It was a freakin circus!! I kept Jacob in the room with me as much as possible but sent him to the nursery a few times.
    Samuel was born naturally and only my ex an I were there this time. It was a normal birth, and the ex did not stick around this time (he had a date with his 19 y.o. GF ). I was in the hospital for 2 days. (Recovery was SOOOOO much better than the first time).
    I didn't get the feeling I was being kicked out quickly either time, I was ready to go home by the time they released me.
    I didnt have any extra testing done other than the typical ultrasounds. I think the advances in tehnology are amazing and help ensure more healthy births.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Josie was born in 2004. I did not know her sex only because I didn't want to know (which, was the best thing EVER finding out what she was!). As far as office visits go, I can't really remember how often you went, except during months 7 and 8, you went every other week, and the last month you went every week. I had the usual ultrasounds throughout, I am much too anal not to. My water broke at home at 2am - husband was working and I didn't bother to call him because he would freak out (he's a firefighter/emt, you would think he would be calm - no way, he was a nervous wreck the entire day) and I wasn't having any contractions anyway. So, he gets home, I shower and we leave. I make him drive to Big Apple Bagel for a bagel and coffee since I know they won't feed me when I get to the hospital.

I was in labor all day but progressed very slowly, and then about 10pm her heartrate dropped drastically and they rushed me to surgery. By the time we got down there it had went back up, but they still did the c-section. Anyway, everything was fine, but it was so completely scary. They broke the door of my room getting my bed out and the whole time I was praying to please let everything be ok. She ended up being over 9 pounds and the dr. said she would have most likely required a csection anyway. Wow, this is probably more info than asked....

Anywho, the hospital where I go is up north about 30 minutes - they have birthing suites, so you stay in one room the entire time you are there. Husband was there during the csection, but no one else. During a vaginal birth, you can have two people in the room with you is all. They have a chair that turns into a cot that hubby slept on, that complained about it the entire time (he even asked if he could go home to sleep). You have the option of keeping the baby with you, or in the nursery. I choose the nursery only because I was exhausted.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    the birth process got changed?

Registered
    Mar 2006
    My mom and I both have Lupus (an auto-immune disease, that can be hereditary). I was 2 when she was diagnosed, clear back in 1979, and she was told she definitely could not have any more children because of the possible complications. When I was diagnosed, in 1990, they said I could definitely have children someday, but I would be considered a high risk pregnancy. Because of this, I had to go to the doctor a lot during my pregnancy, especially in the 3rd trimester, when I had to have one non-stress test and one ultrasound a week. But, I didn't mind getting to see my unborn baby so often. Too bad they didn't know earlier that it is possible to have a baby when you have Lupus. My mom would have liked to have more kids.

As for everything I went through during labor, I think in the past they would have taken me to have a c-section right away (or maybe if I was at a different hospital today). My amniotic fluid was low, which caused my daughter to get stressed, which caused her to poop before being born, which caused her to ingest some of it, which caused her heart rate to dip dangerously low. But, with medicine and procedures today they got us stablized and I had a totally natural birth (no epidural or anything). My daughter had to stay in the NICU those two days before we went home. But my husband still spent the night with me, and I'd go to nurse her whenever she was hungry. If she was in better health she could have stayed in my hospital room all I wanted.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 36
    Last post: 27 Aug 2008, 6:48 PM
  2. Birth order
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 102
    Last post: 23 May 2007, 2:15 PM
  3. Birth of a freeway
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 12 Jan 2005, 9:47 AM