Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Portland, OR

Registered
    Nov 2002

Portland, OR

I am off to Portland (the younger) this week for a work trip. I will probably have some spare time while I am there. Any recommendations for more unusual development/planning things to see out there?

Registered
    Jun 2009
    No trip to Portland is complete without seeing:

Just walk around the Pearl District - you'll have plenty to see
    Powell's City of Books - the biggest book store ever
    Deschutes Brewery - Yum
    Japanese Rose Gardens up in Forest Park
    Ride the aerial tram up to Oregon Health and Sciences University (breathtaking view of the city from there)
    The Kennedy School - an old elementary school converted to a B&B and restaurant/brewery. They serve a great brunch!
    The Grotto - cool to see even if you aren't religious
    Ladd's Addition is an interesting neighborhood - it's the one shaped like an "X" from the air
    Lot's of funky shops, etc. on Sandy Blvd.
    Hike or drive to the top of Mt. Tabor in Mt. Tabor Park - another great view!
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    No trip to Portland is complete without seeing:

Just walk around the Pearl District - you'll have plenty to see
    Powell's City of Books - the biggest book store ever
    Deschutes Brewery - Yum
    Japanese Rose Gardens up in Forest Park
    Ride the aerial tram up to Oregon Health and Sciences University (breathtaking view of the city from there)
    The Kennedy School - an old elementary school converted to a B&B and restaurant/brewery. They serve a great brunch!
    The Grotto - cool to see even if you aren't religious
    Ladd's Addition is an interesting neighborhood - it's the one shaped like an "X" from the air
    Lot's of funky shops, etc. on Sandy Blvd.
    Hike or drive to the top of Mt. Tabor in Mt. Tabor Park - another great view!
    Thanks. Ended up with less free time than I thought, but make it to Ladd's Addition, Mt. Tabor, Pearl District. What a great city.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Photos from our recent visit to Portland.

Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Check out the food trucks.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    They looked nasty, like something at a low rent carnival.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    I loathe roach coaches. They seem to ring every downtown parking lot in Portland. They hold a distinct advantage over my preferred brick and mortar businesses. I will not waste electrons on them.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Too bad, some good eating to be had at the trucks.

"He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2007
    The gf and I are are planning a long weekend in Portland in October. We are bringing 2 small dogs so we are limited to dog friendly hotels. The real question we have is should we stay downtown and pay a bit more, or stay out in the 'burbs and take the Tri-Met into downtown. The disadvantage of staying on the 'burbs is that we would need to make a day out of going downtown and we don't want to leave our dogs alone. The advantage of downtown is we could run back and forth to our room, or even just walk our dogs around downtown. Is downtown dog-friendly? Any other things we should consider?

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Great pics, RJ! Makes me want to go back!

Masswich: Glad you got to at least see some of the best parts!
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by rcgplanner View post
    The gf and I are are planning a long weekend in Portland in October. We are bringing 2 small dogs so we are limited to dog friendly hotels. The real question we have is should we stay downtown and pay a bit more, or stay out in the 'burbs and take the Tri-Met into downtown. The disadvantage of staying on the 'burbs is that we would need to make a day out of going downtown and we don't want to leave our dogs alone. The advantage of downtown is we could run back and forth to our room, or even just walk our dogs around downtown. Is downtown dog-friendly? Any other things we should consider?
    There are dogs everywhere. I'd say spring for the hotel downtown if that's where you intend to spend most of your time, that way you can easily come and go during the day.

Here's a link to pet friendly restaurants http://www.bringfido.com/restaurant/...ortland_or_us/ and a bunch of other dog info for Portland like hotels, parks, trails, etc. I'd book a hotel somewhere between the Waterfront (Naito Parkway) and I-405 & Burnside and I-405. The two main public transit corridors are 5th & 6th Avenues and Morrison & Yamhill Streets, non-service animals are supposed to be in a carrier on public transit just so you know.

If you feel like getting a rental car, hit up the Enterprise on Pine/Oak for the best deals.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    There are dogs everywhere. I'd say spring for the hotel downtown if that's where you intend to spend most of your time, that way you can easily come and go during the day.

Here's a link to pet friendly restaurants http://www.bringfido.com/restaurant/...ortland_or_us/ and a bunch of other dog info for Portland like hotels, parks, trails, etc. I'd book a hotel somewhere between the Waterfront (Naito Parkway) and I-405 & Burnside and I-405. The two main public transit corridors are 5th & 6th Avenues and Morrison & Yamhill Streets, non-service animals are supposed to be in a carrier on public transit just so you know.

If you feel like getting a rental car, hit up the Enterprise on Pine/Oak for the best deals.
    We saw dogs on leashes but not in carriers on every train we took. But, who wants to test that?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Only in Portland
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 26 Jul 2013, 5:15 PM
  2. Hello from Portland
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 16 Mar 2007, 6:24 AM
  3. Portland here I come!
    Friday Afternoon Club