Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Trying to fully realize the influence of Globalization

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.

Trying to fully realize the influence of Globalization

Here we are all typing away on a keyboard communicating with people around the world as if they are on the other side of the cubical wall. We are exchanging ideas and sending thoughts at the speed of light. We have the power to learn about new places and cultures, without having to leave our homes.

Globalization is here in full swing and is changing the way we live. People no longer need to choose a place to live based on where they work, bank, or go do school. So much of what we do is on line now, a few days without the internet is like being locked away from society.

We now send e-mails instead of memos or letters, make web sites instead of posters, and Google is the new encyclopedia.

10 to 15 years ago, none of this was possible.

How has globalization changed your life? How do you think it will changed the next few years? How do you think that we can best utilize it?
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    How has globalization changed your life? How do you think it will changed the next few years? How do you think that we can best utilize it?
    I no longer have to mail order my brides only from Russia....I can PayPal them from Latvia or Thailand now.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Globalization?
    That means, that I can have a correct, American meal of McDonald while on vacation in Grosny.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Globalization - Everywhere is somewhere, and somewhere has become nowhere.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Hmmmm.....

My best friend lives in India. We met online when he was working in California on an IT project and I was in Oregon. Friendship has been maintained for 8 years through about 20K emails.

My husband is from Israel. People travel far and wide more than ever before.

I get fresh produce of all kinds year 'round instead of seasonally.

I have a greater exposure to people and cultures other than my own than ever before.

I have to press #1 on the phone when I call customer service to speak to someone in English who doesn't even speak English.

I never visit a bank teller anymore or buy stamps.

Vonage rocks.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

I better be able to teach my kid(s) Calculus and critical writing, reading skills. It would also help to relocate to another continent for a year or two with the kid(s) and immerse them in a new language/ culture. That's what globalisation has taught me. Get competitive because a lot of poor people are enormously motivated beyond the average person's comprehension and they mean business.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Globalization?
    That means, that I can have a correct, American meal of McDonald while on vacation in Grosny.
    You know, there is a theory that no county that has a McDonalds has ever waged war with another country that has a McDonalds!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    How has globalization changed your life?
    If I forget to turn my phone off at bedtime I sometimes get SMS messages in the middle of the night from friends in Sweden, the UK, Germany and Serbia...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JNL
    If I forget to turn my phone off at bedtime I sometimes get SMS messages in the middle of the night from friends in Sweden, the UK, Germany and Serbia...
    Off-topic:
    Be thankful you don't receive text messages at work that cause you to blush
    "Whew, it's hot in here."
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    May 2004
    You know, there is a theory that no county that has a McDonalds has ever waged war with another country that has a McDonalds!

from Wikipedia:

In Thomas L. Friedman's 1999 book The Lexus and the Olive Tree the following theory was presented: "No two countries that both had McDonald's had fought a war against each other since each got its McDonald's". While the observation may be true, the conclusions to be drawn are unclear. The global expansion of McDonald's restaurants is a relatively recent phenomenon when put into the context of the history of warfare, and, with a few notable exceptions, has proceeded into relatively stable markets.

The veracity of the observation itself depends upon a flexible interpretation of the term "war". Some conflicts that provide possible counterexamples include the 1989 United States invasion of Panama, the bombing of Serbia by NATO forces in 1999, and the ongoing skirmishes between factions of India and Pakistan over the Kashmir region. Furthermore, it could be argued that conflict between separatist groups that aspire to nationhood amounts to a type of warfare against what they consider to be foreign governments, thereby pitting the Basque region against the nation of Spain, for example. Additionally, the erstwhile practice of giving Declarations of War at the commencement of a conflict is not generally observed anymore; for example, the USA has never declared war upon another country since the end of World War II, but unquestionably has fought several wars since then. For example, the states of Lebanon and Israel have been under a state of war since 1973, which did not hinder the establishment of McDonald's franchises there in 1998 and 1993, respectively.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner
    from Wikipedia:

Thomas Friedman is a callow, shallow, comfortable idiot who apologizes for the excesses of the current world system.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Thomas Friedman is a callow, shallow, comfortable idiot who apologizes for the excesses of the current world system.
    In many cases, I agree, but I am wondering why you think that?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    In many cases, I agree, but I am wondering why you think that?

too many snarky reviews and analyses of his work. too many apologetic columns.

On the other hand, what do I know?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 13 Apr 2009, 3:04 PM
  2. Apply for jobs not fully qualified for or not?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Mar 2008, 3:29 PM
  3. Replies: 59
    Last post: 27 Sep 2006, 3:14 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 Aug 2004, 1:25 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last post: 18 Dec 2000, 10:08 AM