Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Le Tour 2006

Registered
    Dec 2001

Le Tour 2006

http://tinyurl.com/km8g7

This race just got blown wide open. Lets go Bobby J (that is if CSC as a team doesnt crash and burn in this fiasco as well)!!!!

Race starts tomorrow. With Jan out, I'm looking at Z man or Bobby J in yellow tomorrow nite.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I use to be a fan of Laurent Jalabert but since he has retired, I haven't kept up with the Tour very much. I still check out maps of the course but I don't think I've watched a stage in the past couple of years.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Dec 2001
    That was one heck of a finish yesterday, lotsa blood!!! Oy vey, like a field spring is hectic enough, throw in getting hit with stuff from fans leaning over barricades, and it gets that much more sketchy.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Were those green hands made out of plastic? They look like the large foam ones that use to be popular at sporting events in the US but foam wouldn't have caused that kind of injury.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Dec 2001
    ^^Apparently they were cardboard. Thats a vicious paper cut! Europe is weird with how they refer to things too, could've been that plastic cardboard stuff? Regardless, they are now banned in the final 2K of the race.

A big sentimental victory yesterday for Kessler....and the loss of Freddy, Dekker, Valverde.

What happened to O'Grady yesterday?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I think he was caught up in the Freddy/dekker wreck.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    http://tinyurl.com/efdcj

Some pics from Tuesday's stage, from a friend who was there. Mostly of the crowd. Seen one bike, you've seen them all.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Yeah, we've been talking about this years tour here at work, now that the Lance Show is over. But now with the doping scandel going on, seems like it's wide open for the new heros to step up. The route is also very interesting and seems to favor someone with a bit of depth, not just a speciality.
    I wonder if birds know it's Tuesday?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Floyd Landis or Bobby Julich.

Battle of the PA dudes!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    We're pulling for George Hincapie around here since he's a local
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Ok, I'm on board with Floyd, he seem's cool. I don't know about anyone else but I really appreciate Phil liggett's anouncing. Some quote's from over the years.Tier 1 has some funny bits http://www.liggettfan.com/

Paul Sherwin is a great announcer as well. I get more info from these two.....

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The Irish One
    ......I don't know about anyone else but I really appreciate Phil liggett's anouncing......Paul Sherwin is a great announcer as well. I get more info from these two.....
    We must get the same coverage down under - Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwin are the two announcers on the network that has the rights to it - SBS. I really like their infectious enthusiasm for the sport. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't find it interesting without their commentary, in fact they would be one of the few sporting commentary teams I find add to the occasion rather than detract from it.

I have a question for the knowledgable Cyburbians - is Cadel Evans really a chance in the TdF this year? Or is it just local media beat up?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Rem
    I have a question for the knowledgable Cyburbians - is Cadel Evans really a chance in the TdF this year? Or is it just local media beat up?
    Lets wait until the mountains. He can climb. I would expect him to be a top 10 guy for sure with an outside shot at the podium.

When he raced mtb's he was not well liked by other racers.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Quote Originally posted by The Irish One
    Ok, I'm on board with Floyd, he seem's cool. I don't know about anyone else but I really appreciate Phil liggett's anouncing. Some quote's from over the years.Tier 1 has some funny bits http://www.liggettfan.com/

Paul Sherwin is a great announcer as well. I get more info from these two.....
    Ditto for Floyd. I was shocked to hear about his hip replacement surgery after this event. Could be a real career killer. Other than that, I don't have any particular preference. It's always fun to watch Robbie McEwen throw himself into the finish at the final sprint. I get just as much out of marveling over the landscape and pretty towns as I do the race itself. Since I love church architecture (especially Medieval) it's a feast for the eyes. The stage through Normandy on the way to Caen was wonderful.

I'll also put a plug in for Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen. They seem to get along well, and their knowledge is crucial to a viewer whose understanding of the point system is nil. Of course for me, most of it is just the accents. Yum!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I think you're going to see alot of unkowns coming to the front tis week. T-Mobile in yellow could be very interesting.

Cadel Evans...dowsnt have a prayer IMO. The ability to climb is one thing, but you need to be able to attack in the mountains to get any real time, which I cant see him doing.

Can he TT?

Forget the Rider's Look at How Hard Les Girls travaille

Registered
    Sep 2001
    This site provides the route mapping layed over google earth

http://www.letour.fr/2006/TDF/LIVE/u...gle_earth.html

It is odd to see discovery implode, especially when Hincapie was a favourite.

Maybe the lack of calft placenta is having its toll.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Great link, thanks.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Yesterday was an entertaining day, and today is even better. The flying axe handles are being thrown and no prisoners taken. this is what bike racing should and can be. Who needs lance for a good race?

Floyd, what the hell was that?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    ^^Drug free tour.

I raced against Floyd about 6 years ago, at Univest, and he commented on "why doesnt this thing ever go downhill.""....as we were both going backwards on some climb which pales in comparison to anything with an "Alpe" prefix....

Drugfree tour.

The shot of his PowerTap were only showing ~350 watts, Impressive, but not too impressive for a solo ride off the front that goes uphill.

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Will any American ever win the Tour without being accused of doping?

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Senior Jefe
    Will any American ever win the Tour without being accused of doping?
    Not anymore no.

Perhaps a more important question is will anyone from any country ever win without actually doping?

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. US Study Tour
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 07 Dec 2004, 9:39 PM
  2. Tour De France
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 21 Jul 2004, 12:18 PM
  3. the tour