Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Siting sewage disposal systems

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Siting sewage disposal systems

In reaction to a couple of poor recent designs, I've been given the assignment to develop location standards for lift stations, package treatment plants, and spray fields. We're thinking of requiring them to be located internal to the project, screened with solid fencing and landscaping, and located to not adversely effect adjoining properties. Has anybody else had experience with this issue and have you developed standards? Thanks in advance.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

I can't resist, sorry...

Plug-in air fresheners?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    When you say "poor designs" are you talking about them not functioning properly or poorly placed?

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    In reaction to a couple of poor recent designs, I've been given the assignment to develop location standards for lift stations, package treatment plants, and spray fields. We're thinking of requiring them to be located internal to the project, screened with solid fencing and landscaping, and located to not adversely effect adjoining properties. Has anybody else had experience with this issue and have you developed standards? Thanks in advance.
    I've seen examples which the site was made into a park, due to advances in anti-stinky technology. One example I'm trying to think of is in Federal Way, WA - it's a park that people are willing to go to.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon
    When you say "poor designs" are you talking about them not functioning properly or poorly placed?
    Poor location. One developer placed the spray field on the corner of his property to serve a residential subdivision in one of our rural communities. As you can imagine, the adjacent neighbors are lit.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by teshadoh
    I've seen examples which the site was made into a park, due to advances in anti-stinky technology. One example I'm trying to think of is in Federal Way, WA - it's a park that people are willing to go to.
    I had a project that was going to have a small sewage facility for 55 homes. They proposed to use the adjacent County gold course for the spraying field, it almost went though until they found out they had to put up signs that said it was treated sewage (even though sometimes cleaner than ground water) and the golf course didn't want that kind of publicity.
    @GigCityPlanner

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Here's what we have in our standards:

7) Lift Stations shall be located a minimum of 100 feet from any existing residential lot.
    a) Lift stations shall include a back-up generator or other emergency power provisions acceptable to the City to prevent overflows during power outages.
    b) Lift stations shall include odor control facilities to prevent the detection of odors from the lift station at a distance of 50 feet downwind of the lift station.
    8) Treatment facilities shall be located, designed, constructed and operated in accordance with TNRCC criteria per 30 TAC §317.4.
    a) Treatment units must be located a minimum of 1,000 feet from any existing residential lot or property.
    b) Treatment facilities shall include odor control measures so that odors generated by the raw wastewater or treatment units is not detected at any boundary of the treatment facility property.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Our state statutes preempt local regulation. The state DNR and Counties have all control.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Footnote to the spray field and package treatment plant under construction: we learned this afternoon that the developer may not have a development order to authorize this work. We're still doing research. (I can't find any evidence on Cyburbia that he submitted for and received a DO. But I'm still searching ).

Registered
    Aug 2001

Update

This morning, our Board approved this:

SECTION 2709. Sewer Construction and Connection.

12. Location and Buffering Standards for Lift Stations, Package Treatment Plants, and Spray Fields.

a. Lift stations shall be located a minimum of 100-feet from any existing residentially designated lot, include a back-up generator or other emergency power provision to prevent overflows during power outages, and include odor control facilities to prevent detection of odors from adjoining properties. At a minimum, a Landscape Standard D as shown in Section 2808 and solid fencing shall be provided to completely screen the facility from adjacent properties.

b. Package treatment plants shall be located interior to the development, include a back-up generator or other emergency power provision to prevent overflows during power outages, and include odor control facilities to prevent detection of odors from adjoining properties. At a minimum, a Landscape Standard D as shown in Section 2808 and solid fencing shall be provided to completely screen the facility from adjacent properties.

c. Spray fields shall be located interior to the development and a minimum of 1,000-feet from any existing or proposed residentially designated lot. At a minimum, a Landscape Standard D as shown in Section 2808 and solid fencing shall be provided to completely screen the facility from adjacent properties.
    d. All facilities shall be maintained so as not to cause a nuisance to surrounding properties.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Pet waste disposal stations
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 19 Mar 2009, 12:10 PM
  2. Dryer Lint Disposal
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 34
    Last post: 03 Aug 2007, 5:31 PM
  3. Sewage lagoon ordinances
    Land Use and Zoning