Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Getting a job in planning without a planning degree

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006

Getting a job in planning without a planning degree

I am very interested in the field of planning. Also, I am not very interested what I currently do; I am an auditor for a bank. Had I known there was an Urban Planning degree, I would have got it, but I was not aware of it when I went to college. I have been out of school and working at the Bank for about 2 yrs. As of now, I am going to go back to school to get my MUP this fall, however, I sometimes feel as though I would like to keep working. Is there a way for a person with a B.S in Finance to enter into the Planning field, and if so, where are the best places to look?
    Thanks,
    Mark

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Maybe start by looking in to CDC's (Community Development Corporations) or similar types of non-profit organizations. These types of orgs often help plan city and neighborhoods development such as affordable housing or neighborhood revitalization.

Another suggestion is to look at organizations like DDA's (Downtown Development Authorities). These are quasi public-private groups whose projects often include things like business district development, downtown beautification, etc.

You might not be doing work directly related to planning at first. But I think your finance degree and banking experience is a great way to get your foot in the door into community and economic development if your interested in that type of thing.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by modonnell15
    I am very interested in the field of planning. Also, I am not very interested what I currently do; I am an auditor for a bank. Had I known there was an Urban Planning degree, I would have got it, but I was not aware of it when I went to college. I have been out of school and working at the Bank for about 2 yrs. As of now, I am going to go back to school to get my MUP this fall, however, I sometimes feel as though I would like to keep working. Is there a way for a person with a B.S in Finance to enter into the Planning field, and if so, where are the best places to look?
    Thanks,
    Mark
    Economic Development types of fields (business development) would be a good direction for you also. Try looking at Chamber of Commerces or independent/municipal economic development offices.
    Satellite City Enabler

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 03 Dec 2013, 3:06 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 05 Jun 2012, 5:15 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 31 Dec 2010, 10:41 AM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last post: 12 May 2009, 10:38 AM
  5. Replies: 5