Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Calling All Floridians

Registered
    Mar 2003

Calling All Floridians

I need some family assitance and whom better to call on than my "on line" family.

Here is the long and short of it. My younger has been going through an extremely nasty custody battle that he just lost. The woman took him into her life and kept him long enough to have two beautiful children and then she booted him, out. I know that sounds like a harsh description but he found her journal and in great detail it talked about all the things she had done to quite a number of men to get pregnant.

Anyway, she won and the judge has allowed her to go to Florida. He can have visitation 2 weeks out of 8. But how is he going to do that in Kansas?

With nothing to hold him here and two babies in Florida,he is preparing to head that way get a job and try to be a father to his children.

I believe that she is in the Winter Haven area.

He has been doing a fairly brisk handyman business up here. He needs some advise on how to proceed down there but wants to make sure that he is not working without the licenses.
    Even better if anyone knows of anybody that is looking for a worker?????

He doesn't have to be right in Winter Haven, any place around within and hour or two would be just fine too.

Are there areas that are looking for workers??

Let me know what you think.. Thanks
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Construction is big everywhere in the state. Winter Haven is a growth area. With a license in what ever trade, he should find work.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Yes.....

JUST DON'T get caught working without a contractors license....they will put you in jail...no question.... Should be a breeze to find work in the construction trades in Florida, they need a LOT of help down there......
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    JUST DON'T get caught working without a contractors license....they will put you in jail...no question.... Should be a breeze to find work in the construction trades in Florida, they need a LOT of help down there......
    What does it take to get a contractors license? And can he work under someone that has one?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Yes....

Quote Originally posted by Queen B
    What does it take to get a contractors license? And can he work under someone that has one?
    There is the test and it would be worth taking, because it makes registration easy in any? jurisdiction in Florida. Working under another contractor is a good option for the short term, I just hope he gets a good one......The local building officials around Winter Haven might throw you a bone and drop a couple of names. At the very least, have a long list of contractor names and run it by the official for a reaction.....this should work and the one's they don't gag on would be the place to work.....
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Winter Haven is the home of Cypress Gardens, one of the oldest tourist attractions in the state. Unfortunately, that's about it for Winter Haven. It's full of old people and trailer parks. He could be looking in Tampa, Lakeland, Sebring, or even Orlando and it's no big ride to Winter Haven on weekends. If's he's a "handyman"; my mom and I can never find anyone who does that kind of work, he will probably be in great demand down here!

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Winter Haven is the home of Cypress Gardens, one of the oldest tourist attractions in the state. Unfortunately, that's about it for Winter Haven. It's full of old people and trailer parks. He could be looking in Tampa, Lakeland, Sebring, or even Orlando and it's no big ride to Winter Haven on weekends. If's he's a "handyman"; my mom and I can never find anyone who does that kind of work, he will probably be in great demand down here!
    What would his limitations be? What kind of "Handy" stuff can he do without a license?

Registered
    Feb 2000
    ..., he is preparing to head that way get a job and try to be a father to his children.
    There are guys with their heads screwed on straight, but unfortunately they are often unappreciated. He is making the best decision. My children love me without expectations and that's a beautiful thing in these days.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    There are guys with their heads screwed on straight, but unfortunately they are often unappreciated. He is making the best decision. My children love me without expectations and that's a beautiful thing in these days.
    Yeah they are not teenagers yet!!! Give it time...

Registered
    Sep 1999
    What would his limitations be? What kind of "Handy" stuff can he do without a license?
    I'm really not familiar with the licensing requirements here. But, I know I have hired handymen here and there for minor repairs and they haven't all been licensed. He would need to stay away from roofing and electrical, at the least.

One more thing I forgot to mention (and am surprised sc didn't!) which is several of the towns around Winter Haven have spring training baseball.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Well I got word last night that my brother has made it to Floida and has found a house. He will get to move in on Friday. With that out of the way he is concentrating on finding a job.
    He has a big adventure ahead!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. calling all female Floridians
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 16 Nov 2008, 6:21 PM
  2. Calling all Iowans!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 11 Jul 2007, 6:28 PM