Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Any info on the MUP at UW?

Registered
    Jul 2006

Any info on the MUP at UW?

Hey everyone, I'm a new user here. I'm planning on starting my Masters in Urban Planning the fall of next year, and these forums have been really helpful so far! I'm hoping to do a concentration on Urban Design. Just wondering if anyone out there has completed (or is currently in) the MUP program at the University of Washington? I've seen a lot of posts about other schools in the forum, but haven't seen much on this one yet. I also plan on applying for some other programs (PSU, UCLA, Berkeley, among others), but would like to stay in my home town (and pay in-state tuition, of course). Any info would help. Thanks!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Accredited, in-state tuition; no having to move. Sounds like a very good situation.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2006

UW Sounds Amazing

Quote Originally posted by JMP
    Hey everyone, I'm a new user here. I'm planning on starting my Masters in Urban Planning the fall of next year, and these forums have been really helpful so far! I'm hoping to do a concentration on Urban Design. Just wondering if anyone out there has completed (or is currently in) the MUP program at the University of Washington? I've seen a lot of posts about other schools in the forum, but haven't seen much on this one yet. I also plan on applying for some other programs (PSU, UCLA, Berkeley, among others), but would like to stay in my home town (and pay in-state tuition, of course). Any info would help. Thanks!
    Hey,

I am an accepted student to the MUP at UW for September. Because of a number of non-academic factors, I'm not sure if I am going to attend-- I may stay home in Spokane and attend the program at EWU-- but I attended an open house for the program and was blown away. The program is absolutely amazing, the students all love it, they feel like they have had excellent exposure to real-world planning applications and feel supported by a very widespread network of professionals in the field. I was really impressed with the faculty-- the diversity and the caliber-- and the students were also extremely high caliber. If I lived in Seattle I would go in a heartbeat! I compeletely understand not wanting to relocate-- that's why I'm so torn between UW and Eastern-- but if I were in your shoes I wouldn't hesistate to go to UW.

As far as other programs go, PSU may be a little stronger in the design-specific coursework than UW, but I don't know much more about the program beyond that. I also looked at UC Berkeley- (I used to live there and considered going to school there) and it is also a stellar program but seems to emphasize policy over design. Hope those comments are helpful-- best of luck to you!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. GIS info
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 May 2006, 2:22 PM
  2. USC planning info?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 20 Jul 2004, 2:21 PM
  3. Hey. you FLA planners: info please
    Friday Afternoon Club