Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bring on the tinfoil hats....

Registered
    Mar 2004

Bring on the tinfoil hats....

Is it something that I'm just beginning to notice or has there really been a big increase in the number of 'tinfoil hat' nutcases lately?

I'm thinking of the recent increase in the number of people in places of intellectual power (ie, university instructors) whom are saying that the 2001-09-11 attack was entirely a grand conspiracy involving high-ranking people in the USA's federal government and not the actions of a small group of Islamic hotheads.

Any thoughts?

Mike

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Didnt you know that Dubya planned the whole thing. So we could finish his Daddy's war, get cheap oil (thus sell gas for $0.25/gal), and get a nice phatty contract for Dick and his boys at Haliburton?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    One doesn't have to wear a tinfoil hat to believe that W took advantage of 9-11 to start a war that had among its multiple causes many of the factors Jeff dismisses so snidely. The public record shows that PNAC was advocating a war in Iraq since the 1980s, the Downing Street Memo show that prominent administration officials explicitly saw 9-11 as an opportunity. And, it's not like prominent members of the Administriation have not had a long history of somewhat nefarious activities. John "Nun Muderer" Negroponte, for example.

Of course, the public record is becoming more and more circumscribed. W has refused to release Reagan Adminsitration papers that might embarras key members of his Administration (in violation of the law, I might add). Those who state boldly that we should not always talk about Vietnam forget that many of the same players are still involved.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920
    Is it something that I'm just beginning to notice or has there really been a big increase in the number of 'tinfoil hat' nutcases lately?
    I'm thinking of the recent increase in the number of people in places of intellectual power (ie, university instructors) whom are saying that the 2001-09-11 attack was entirely a grand conspiracy involving high-ranking people in the USA's federal government and not the actions of a small group of Islamic hotheads.
    Quote Originally posted by Jeff
    Didnt you know that Dubya planned the whole thing. So we could finish his Daddy's war, get cheap oil (thus sell gas for $0.25/gal), and get a nice phatty contract for Dick and his boys at Haliburton?
    So you guys are saying these statements are not true? Just wanna make sure.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    There will always be conspiracy theorists. Nothing can be as simple as they seem, so they argue. Kennedy was too great a man to be cut down by a miserable loser like Oswald, so the Mafia or the Cubans had to have put him up to it. Marilyn Monroe had to have been killed by the Kennedys. The Tri-lateral Commission and the Jews control everything. And so on.

These people usually have a personal agenda of their own. To sell books. To sell themselves for speeches, or just to get someone to listen to their lunatic rants.

Actually I like hearing some of the stuff. Some of it is imaginative, and no less implausible than, say, the belief that God sent his only begotten son to Earth to die on the cross for our sins. Whose execution was of course a conspiracy by the Jews!
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    I take most of your comments with a bit of sarcasm, but 25 cent gas? Now I am rolling on the floor.

And sometimes, it's really only about the hats.......

http://people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/helmet/

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920

Any thoughts?

Mike
    I disagree. Sure there are some crazy folks out there but to me it doesn't seem like there are alot of people who really believe that that are worth mentioning.

hmmmmmm 9 out of the 11 high jackers were from Saudi Arabia and the training base was in Afganistan so lets attack...... IRAQ! Makes sence to me. W wants to protect his oil interest.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I have seen more of the the 9/11 conspiracy theorists as those fearful of the New World Order than the ivory tower types.

The Pentagon Missile attack theory was the one I came across the most until they released guard shack footage of American Flight 77 hitting the Pentagon.

I am with Otterpop their will always be conspiracy theorists.

Does MArk Cuban fall into the tinfoil club by claiming the NBA is rigged?
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Everyone knows where I stand on these issues and the theories so I am not going to say anything other than this.

Some people need to stop B****ing about Bush and the War.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Some people need to stop B****ing about Bush and the War.
    I'm not going to fall in line just because of a few who say it is good for me. This nation was built on dissent, revolution and questioning.
    Last edited by zman; 05 Jul 2006 at 3:32 PM.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I love the protect the oil interest theories. Just great.

We got tons of it right here in our own country I'm interested in.

Alaska anyone??

Kool Aid?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by BeansandCod
    And sometimes, it's really only about the hats.......

http://people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/helmet/
    OMG that is hillarious!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    A special prize for the first person to tell us where the U.S.A. gets most of its oil...

Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    A special prize for the first person to tell us where the U.S.A. gets most of its oil...

As for me, I'll say we had Saddam contained and we didn't have Osama contained. What's different today?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Anyone else care to come to the table w/ the next DNC talking point?

Registered
    Oct 2001

versus YOUR next parrotting of Ann Coulter or Michael Savage? Are WE to be rounded up in the "Containment Centers," Jeff? For our own good? One more terrorist attack, and the brave United States will fall all over itself to sign away any remaining constitutional liberties. At least, you realistic, manly conservatives will. Remind me again why liberals are the weak ones? "Save me, President Bush."

The Whig Party...oops, I mean the Democratic Party, is almost 100% uninterested in touching any of the key issues facing the United States. Hillary? Come on. Joe Biden? Give me a break. Obama, the latest "hero"? Another meek moderate who can't even respond to the attacks from the far right.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Kool Aid anyone?

-Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I love the protect the oil interest theories. Just great.

We got tons of it right here in our own country I'm interested in.

Alaska anyone??

Kool Aid?
    Uh... That's not a wise strategy pal... if the US uses up all of their own reserves in non critical times like now... when it becomes scarce you'll have to be begging for it to producing nations... so that's why anybody with half a brain would buy foreign oil before using up their own...

Now, not all oil in the US comes from the middle east.. most oil used for heating in the US comes from Venezuela... but the oil for cars does come from middle east.

Now onto the conspiracy theories about 9-11... I've heard many... fell for a few (the missile against the pentagon sounded somewhat plausible if you forget the physics involved in crashing a hollow metal tube(with wings of course) at high speeds loaded with fuel against a reinforced concrete wall)
    The US government couldn't have done it... although it did a very lousy job preventing it.

One of the most stupid theories I've seen is the one saying that the WTC was a demolition job.. (i.e. they loaded it with explosives and demolished it....) but calculating and planning a controlled demolition is way complicated and evident.

Why worry about conspiracies when there is so much corruption out in the open?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jaws
    Why worry about conspiracies when there is so much corruption out in the open?

The problem is, too much of what is "in the open" is increasingly hidden under the rubric of "National Security." Like the entire body of Reagan Presidential papers, hidden by special Executive Order of the President.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    Uh... That's not a wise strategy pal... if the US uses up all of their own reserves in non critical times like now... when it becomes scarce you'll have to be begging for it to producing nations... so that's why anybody with half a brain would buy foreign oil before using up their own...
    We havent even begun pulling the stuff out of AL, pal. I dont know about you, pal, but to me it makes more sense to get the stuff from our own soil, rahter than have to get it from rogue nations in the Middle East. But hey, what do I know, I only have 1/4 a brain.

Registered
    Jun 2006
    Forget oil! Why isn't anybody taking the challenge to build new, renewable energy industries? Everytime there's a hiccup, there's money to be made. W's war will eventually end and the taps will open again and Ford will make bigger Expescursions. Why isn't anybody tapping the biodiesel keg or similar technology now while there's a market? Taking advantage of opportunities used to be a stereotypical American trait. Did we lose it when we started flushing our freedoms in the name of "security?"

I therefore stand firmly behind Kool Aid as a solution.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jim potter
    I therefore stand firmly behind Kool Aid as a solution.
    But what is the net energy produced by Kool-Aid after the embedded costs of producing the lovely pink powder?

More seriously, I don't think there is a "solution" that will enable 300 million people to live like consumer society middle class Americans today. We'll be extremely lucky to have enough energy to run society at the level of 1890, or maybe even 1790. If not 1090

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Work sample question - to bring or not to bring
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 03 Jan 2013, 1:40 PM
  2. The (proper) wearing of hats
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 25 Oct 2010, 2:27 AM
  3. Hats