Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Radical Cartography does Manhattan

Radical Cartography does Manhattan

It's like looking at the blue gradation of land value for your Sim City map, but its actually Manhattan 2006.

Whats interesting is that the old "Exception to all the rules" New York is at it again. This time breaking the Cardnal rule that land value is higher near the waterfront. I Guess who can blame them when they have to look at Jersey

In reality it probably has more to do with the data on this Building Heights map

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Well, Hoboken's land values are just as high as Manhattan's (and Hoboken's population density is actually the second highest in the country). And Jersey City is getting there... So I don't quite get your point about New Jersey -- as usual, the state is a victim of jokes.
    Also, here in Philly the CBD itself -- I don't know about land values as the Old City is gentrified and expensive -- is away from the waterfront as well, but Delaware River is definitely a sewer cut off from the city by the I-95.

Registered
    May 2003
    Historically, in most cities, many of the coastal areas along rivers or other bodies of water were working water fronts. They had port facilities and very heavy industrial uses. I would expect many of the same low land value inducing businesses to maintain their poisitions on this land, unless it has been redeveloped. The gentry lived inland away from this. This map bears that out.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Same in London. Well into the 1990s, most of the waterfront was positively blighted (though within notable exceptions). This has been changing for a decade now but there is still plenty of 'girt' along the banks of the Thames.
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Yes, I think you'd find that most cities in the Northeast have ramshackle and devalued waterfronts. Baltimore's the only one I can think of that's had success at transforming it to an attraction. Expressways often ruin any chance of real public access, on top of all the abandoned and underutilized industrial sites.

Looking at that land value map, I can't help but think that if Metropolitan Life has its way and converts the Stuy Town housing projects in Alphabet City to market-rate units, you'd see those land values in the lower right corner shoot through the roof.
    Last edited by passdoubt; 16 Jul 2006 at 6:31 AM.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Same goes for Toronto. Historically the waterfront was about industry, railways, expressway. Like most cities it is slowing making a comeback but still has away to go.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 23 Apr 2011, 7:08 PM
  2. I love cartography
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 04 Oct 2009, 3:48 PM
  3. Radical architecture
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 14 May 2009, 4:58 PM