Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Best Damn Streetscape PERIOD!

Registered
    Aug 2001

The Best Damn Streetscape PERIOD!

Two weeks ago, I went to a family reunion on my wife's side of the family, held in Norwalk, Wisconsin, a little town of 650 people about 100 miles northwest of Madison. We got married last year, so this was my first trip to the region, and of course, the first time I met the cousins and uncles. HOO-BOY! I needn't say anymore, if you know what I mean.

Driving through the area, I found this on the light poles. I thought it was a neat little gem, for a streetscape banner:

Norwalk, Black Squirrel Capital of the World

Totally gnarly! Can you believe it? This is one of the most bizarre things I have ever seen in my life!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Well Olney, Illinois is the Home Of The White Squirrels.
    Their street banners: http://www.thom.org/photos/ILOLbanners.jpg
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2003
    Illinois is a capitol for a lot of things:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/ILGRIpurple.html
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874–1963) (From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Everyone needs a reason to be proud of their town. Even if it's kind of a stretch. So, are black squirrels especially famous for something? Do they attack people?

My current town used to be the Celery Capitol of the World, but that stopped decades ago. Wonder which town has that honor now?

Registered
    May 2005
    The squirrels in my neighborhood are evil. I've never seen such evil squirrels in any other place I've lived. They dig our flower bulbs up and then have the audacity to not eat them. The taunt my dog (this is actually quite amusing, especially when he traps them up in the tree)

A neighbor actually started setting traps for them and actually caught one, although I'm not sure what the outcome was. In my opinion, no town should be proud of its squirrels.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by btrage
    In my opinion, no town should be proud of its squirrels.
    I protect mine. A few years ago, I found my neighbor's older son (older brother of "Fat Boy" who I've referenced before..) walking from his yard to mine with a couple friends and BB guns. Looking to kill squirrels and they'd killed all the ones in their yard. Well, I told him to go away. Then he joined the Marines, and is in Iraq. Guess that killer instinct will manifest itself somewhere...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Everyone needs a reason to be proud of their town. Even if it's kind of a stretch.
    Yeah, welcome to Bloomfield Hills, Birthplace of the McMansion, now that's pride!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Wonder if this town and Norwalk should be twinned

I am going to soon post a thread about one of the most depressing rural place I have ever visited. I would rather move back east than live there, that is how bad it is.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Mar 2005
    The first time I saw a black squirrel was in the Bronx (on the way to see the Sox destroy the Yankees). They don't exist in New England. Our squirrels are all grey.

     
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by jmello
    The first time I saw a black squirrel was in the Bronx (on the way to see the Sox destroy the Yankees). They don't exist in New England. Our squirrels are all grey.
    Any day the Red Sox destroy the Yankees is a good day... but you forgot the red squirrels, which are about as abundant as the greys are out here in the woods...

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I guess this has turned into the squirrel thread? Well, I lived in an older suburb for the first half of my childhood, and there was a ton of grey squirrels. Then I moved to my new exurb and there were NONE to be found. Still none to this day. No trees.

Then I went to college, and I saw all these reddish squirrels. Having only seen grey squirrels before, I was like WTF? But I think it would be interesting to see both black and white squirrels. I guess a trip to Norwalk, WI is in order?
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I forgot to ask if they served squirrel manicotti for dinner?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    Wonder if this town and Norwalk should be twinned

I am going to soon post a thread about one of the most depressing rural place I have ever visited. I would rather move back east than live there, that is how bad it is.
    Twinning? Surely you jest. Those lowbrow Exeter squirrels don't deserve to share the same trees as high-born Norwalk squirrels. In this world there are squirrels and then there are squirrels.

I say, the nerve of some people....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2001
    My favourite so far is a sign I just spied on the way back from Jasper this weekend. Evansburg, Alberta: Home of the 'Grouch'. I was intrigued so I looked it up when I got home, and found this little blurb on the 'net:
    Evansburg, Alberta - As you drive east from Jasper along Hwy 16 (the Yellowhead Hwy and often refered to as the northern branch of the Trans-Canada Hwy) about 100 km before you reach Edmonton you'll notice an odd little sign on the right side of the road. It's for the community of Evansburg. Every year they have an election. No, not for the mayor, not for a beauty queen, but for Town Grouch. The winner is licensed to pester, harass, antagonize, criticize, complain and grumble without fear of reprisal for the whole next year. You can can have lunch in the local diner. Let's just hope you don't get a waitress who's in training.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The signs as you enter Galesburg, MI proudly announce "Galesburg: voted Michigan's best tasting water" or some such. Guess everybody's gotta be proud about something, why not ground water?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    My favourite so far is a sign I just spied on the way back from Jasper this weekend. Evansburg, Alberta: Home of the 'Grouch'. I was intrigued so I looked it up when I got home, and found this little blurb on the 'net:
    OK that sounds like fun! I have to wonder if the person elected really follows through or not.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Guess everybody's gotta be proud about something, why not ground water?
    You know you are in rural Canada when the town sign lists its hockey players.

Quote Originally posted by jmello
    AND BOY, ARE THEY FAT!
    I swear, they are at the point where you could harness thirty or forty of the little critters and have them pull a float in a parade! And yes, they are evil. I have had endless numbers of bulbs dug up and left. I have gotten to the point where I've had to bury the things way deep so they won't get them, or wait until we're so far into the fall/winter before I put them in so they're no longer interested. Personally, a BB gun would be just fine with me. Do they make silencers for them?

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Looks like Norwalk isn't the only town proud of their black squirrels.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/set/squirrelsblack.html

This roadside american site is pretty interesting. Thanks DecatorHawk.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. How many spaces after a period?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 21 Jan 2011, 4:26 PM
  2. Foreclosure and redemption period
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 06 Apr 2007, 3:04 PM
  3. Downtown streetscape
    Make No Small Plans