Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: People That Look Like Us

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

People That Look Like Us

This Bear was cruising down Airport Highway early Saturday morning. As I rumbled past a classic car (Ford Galaxie, about 1966) I noticed that the driver looked very much like a well-respected member of our Cyburbian community, Budgie. (Less the pigtails. )

I almost rolled my window down and yelled his name because this cat really did look like the pics that have been posted that shows our friend in Kansas. I know, though, that he spent the weekend with his kids and was not anywhere near the metropolitan Toledo area.

Couple weeks ago in a restaurant I watched a dude walk in that looked a lot like me, albiet with a little less profile (stomach ) and a little shorter. Same greyish hair, same missing hair , same age group.

About a month ago, this guy comes up to me and makes a comment about "my motorcycle". I told him, "You have me confused with somebody else." He thought I was kidding and kept talking about the bike. I had to repeat the fact that I wasn't who he thought I was. He finally "got it" and was then very embarassed. ( wonder when I bought a bike? )

As the United States approaches 300,000,000 people, you have to wonder how many folks out there look very similar to you (not counting identical twins). Over the years I have seen a few that look a lot like me.

What say you? Do you have a "look-alike" out there?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    No one looks like me. I am utterly unique -- probably a good thing. Who on earth would want my lopsided face and ...uh...other Identifying Features.

More seriously: I have occasionally had people walk up to me and think I was someone they "met at a party last week" or some such...or maybe they were HOPING I was said female.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Last week one of my City Councilmen asked if I had a boat. I said, no why? He said he saw me on a giant cabin cruiser. Wasn't me.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I am adopted, so I always wonder. 20 years ago, a friend attended a real estate class in the town where I was born and saw an older woman who looked just like me. But didn't have the nerve to say anything. When I lived in a small FL town, until 11 years ago, I heard from several different people about a guy who looked just like me. I rolled into a gas station once there, and the proprietor asked how my brother was, turned out it was my double once again. He was also spotted on the highway, and at an area Burger King. Never met him.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    When I was in elementary school, the class was watching one of those culturally enlightening films about South America. Then a scene involving a bunch of Catholic acolytes went across the screen. All the class pointed and said “hey, that’s RJ.”
    Well, they didn’t say "RJ," but it seems there is someone in SA that looks very much like me. I think. I was sleeping and missed the action.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Once had this lady staring me down. Just when I was getting ready to ask WTF, she said I looked so much like Jerry Seinfeld she was trying to decide if I was really him

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I occasionally get told that I look like someone, somebody knows.

King B gets it ALL the time. People always make a comment when they come into my office and say.. Where does your husband work or has he lived around here all his life he sure looks like someone I know.

They come up to him in the store. It doesn't matter where we are someone thinks they know him.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I look like my brother

My sister used to get told she looks like Meg Ryan.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    I look like my brother
    LOL...I was gonna say the same thing. I used to get it all the time in school from my teachers, and even from my own relatives. I still get it to this day, even from people our age.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Ive met mine, freaked me the hell out. I was a teen, doing the family gathering thing in BFE South Carolina (Beauford). The family had rented out the fellowship hall of some little country church for the gathering, and man did folks come from far and wide-dont think have of them spoke English (they talk STRANGE in the lowlands of of SC)

There was this girl, she looked just like me to the point my grandfather gave her money thinking she was me. Turns out she was the ministers daughter and no relation to me but it was extreemly shocking.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    What say you? Do you have a "look-alike" out there?
    Apparently, the answer for me is "yes" and he lives in the Toledo area. I may not always be really great remembering names, but I never forget a face. There have been times that I've double taked at a complete stranger thinking that they were somebody I know from the past. I've approached people I haven't seen in decades, but I have never approached someone mistakenly.

It's kinda like life on other planets, the odds are way to great for there not to be life out there, just as it is a sure thing that someone out there looks like you.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Nov 2002
    In 1982, I met someone at a ski retreat that could have been my identical twin. We were unrelated, to the best of our knowlege.

'Twas strange.....
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    I am adopted, so I always wonder. 20 years ago, a friend attended a real estate class in the town where I was born and saw an older woman who looked just like me. But didn't have the nerve to say anything. When I lived in a small FL town, until 11 years ago, I heard from several different people about a guy who looked just like me. I rolled into a gas station once there, and the proprietor asked how my brother was, turned out it was my double once again. He was also spotted on the highway, and at an area Burger King. Never met him.
    wow ZG - what a story

I am adopted too and wonder who looks like me other than my 7 year old daughter (the other 2 look like Dad)

when I was thinner, people used to call me Scully, I started watching the X-Files because during the first episode a friend from California called me in Boston to say I had to watch this show becasue she looked just like me -

unfortunately I don't look like her much now - ah well - keep working out...

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I once pulled up to a drive-thru and the cashier asked me what was wrong because she thought I was the same guy who was there before returning to complain.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    No one on earth looks anything like me. I am UNIQUE!!!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    It recently came to my attention that George Clooney is getting really annoyed when people stop him on the street and say, "Otterpop?"

But seriously, what I get a lot, or used to get a lot, was women telling me I looked like their best friend's brother. And I got the feeling it wasn't the best friend's brother that they had a crush on and wanted to shag.
    Last edited by otterpop; 10 Jul 2006 at 11:56 AM.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I used to get told I looked like Jennfier Aniston all the time. Not so much anymore (short brown hair) and a tennis player that I cannot for the life of me remember her name.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I am convinced that there is realy about 10 different types of people in the world. You know, sort of along the lines of this thread, but I have seen look-alikes that could be lumped into categories of people that look alike. It is weird. I thought of this last night as I watched a TV program that was interviewing a woman that had the same type of face as a friend of ours. Not likely to be related, but they looked similar all the same.

Onto my story:
    In HS there was a guy that looked like me and we were easily confused with eachother. (which can happen in a school of 4,000)
    In college there was a guy that not only looked like me, he had the same build, wore the same color hat, and even drove the same kind of car as I. (Which being a white Volvo 240, was unusual in its own right). I found out about this on a date. The girl I was seeing at the time went off that she waved to me as I was driving away from a building on campus. I insisted that she was wrong, I hadn't been to that building that week, but she kept going.
    He was in your car, wearing a red hat and driving like hell!

Never did meet the guy, but on another occasion I was at a friend's house enjoying a couple cold beers when his roommate came home.
    "Where's Vic? What's he doing here?"
    "Who the hell is Vic?" we replied.
    "The guy in the white Volvo? Is he downstairs?"
    "Dude, that's my car,"
    "What is the hell are you doing with Vic's car?"
    and so on...
    I never did meet the guy. Word around the city was that I was much cooler.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

A lot of people have said they've seen my "twin". I feel sorry for the guy if he is out there, looking like me.

When I was younger and had hair, people said I resembled Mickey Dolenz.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    In high school a boyfreind told me I look like Dana Dalaney (around her China Beach days), and other people have said it since, most recently a couple years ago. Then when I was in grad school, working in the government docs. floor of the library a young girl told me I looked like Kate Beckinsale in Pearl Harbor. That sure made my day, but I really don't see it. Now I get a few people telling me I look like the mom on Gilmore Girls, I think her real name is Lauren Graham. I'm surprised how many strangers have told me out of the blue that I look like some celebrity, although I don't really agree with any of them. A few times in college people would walk across a plaza towards me waving, and then they'd get closer and say "sorry, I thought you were somebody else." I always wondered what that somebody else was like.

My husband is a dead ringer for Chris Daughtry (american idol rock guy). They even carry themselves the same, same head, same mouth, eyebrows, build, everything. Every week everyone in his workplace (even people he never talked to) would see him and say "congratulations for making it to the next round." At first he didn't know what they were talking about, cause we never watched the show.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    I used to get told I looked like Jennfier Aniston all the time.
    I used to be compared to John Belushi. I don't know why.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I get compared to complete unknowns all the time like:

When my hair is beatle-like... a young paul mccartney (who the heck is he?)

and back in college, Billy Joe from Green Day.

other than that.. I look like myself.. almost uncanny resemblence.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I look exactly like my birth mother except fairer skin and lighter hair. When I met her ex-husband I gave him a fright because of the uncanny resemblance. My daughter looks like me but a little darker.

When I was in my 20's I went to buy a new car and the salesman kept staring at me and said "I'm sorry but I have to show you something." Whipped out a photo of his daughter and she could have been my twin, down to the hair style and the glasses. Come to find out I went to school with his niece.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    About 20+ years ago I have been told that when I have a full beard I looked like Kevin Kline in "Silverado". The GF at the time thought I was pulling her leg until in a check-out line a cashier said I looked like that guy in that movie. The GF's jaw dropped to the floor since she was there and I had told her just the day before of the comments I was getting. About 12 years ago I didn't have a beard and had shorter hair and a co-worker said I looked like Kevin Kline in the movie "Dave". I wonder if I could fool his wife Phoebe?

I always have people mistaken me for someone else. The funniest time was when a woman mistakened me for her boyfriend and kissed me. It was in a dark bar but it was only about 9:00 p.m. so it can't be blamed on drunkeness. We were both a bit red-faced over that one.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I must be the only one who gets mildly offended/irritated when compared to someone else. "Oh you look just like so-and-so...blah blah blah." Well, I don't know so-and-so, so what's your point in telling me that?
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 48
    Last post: 02 Jun 2013, 2:43 PM
  2. What people think I do
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 17 Apr 2012, 6:21 PM
  3. Replies: 74
    Last post: 08 Dec 2004, 11:24 AM