Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Do you support chartibable organizations?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Do you support chartibable organizations?

I was going back through a bunch of my financial stuff for the quarter and got to thinking about all of the charities I donate money and time to. What are some of the organizations that you contribute to?

Church - I do a weekly contribution, but I also volunteer to help with the teenagers as kind of a mentor and organize service projects in the community.

Animal Shelter Society - I help organize a large fundraiser every year and make a monthly contribution. I also go to the shelter every couple of weeks to help bathe and groom the animals, and will assist with pet adoption days.

Boy Scouts of America - I'm a merit badge councilor for several different badges, but most commonly for the Citizenship in the Community badge (a required one).

Youth Soccer League - I'm a volunteer referee for the 12-14 age group, mainly because I'm one of the few adults that can routinely run the length of a regulation soccer field for 90 minutes. I also contribute to a fund that buys low-income kids soccer equipment (shin guards, cleats, uniforms, etc.).

Habitat for Humanity - I donate a lot of sweat for this one. I most frequently pull roofing duty, which can be brutal during a central Texas summer.

Childrens Miracle Network - I have a niece with disabilities from seizures. They get $$$ from me and I go up to DFW every year for a big relay event with my brother.
    Last edited by Suburb Repairman; 10 Jul 2006 at 11:36 AM.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I give to my church

I'm in the Rotary Club so that eats up alot of cash I don't have and it covers the literal hundreds of non-profits competing on this island which is a big plus

I give a little extra to my kids' camps for their scholarship funds, and to the museum downtown (museums are important for downtowns as we all know)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Every year I usually donate time, money and/or labor to the Humane Society, United Way, and our local public television station
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Time - IMBA - trail building
    Time + money - cycling organizations - provincial and national
    Money - meals on 2 wheels
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Give to public television and public radio every year.

Not really charitable orgs, but certainly valuable non-profits.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    i give to the local humane society, and other animal/environmental groups.

after katrina i donated $$ mostly to the ASPCA, the Zoo, and the Aquarium.

back in the day i used to donate to a ton of groups, i hope to start that up again once i'm employed. plus i'd like to volunteer in person for local organizations.

i always donate to goodwill or salvation army. i can't imagine not doing it. to me that's where you take stuff (in decent condition) when you no longer need it.
    Last edited by dandy_warhol; 10 Jul 2006 at 1:18 PM.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    United Way (payroll deduction) and Salvation Army (mostly in clothes/toys).
    Only thing that bothers me somewhat about United Way is that I have given to them for years and there was a time a few years back that I needed some help with an electric bill (I couldn't afford it at one point when the baby was first born and no second income at all) and they told me I made too much money for thier assisstance. Was a little hard to swallow but I made things work anyway.

I have also heard that many of the items given to Salvation Army are just thrown into a truck and smashed down into trash. I don't know that I believe that but makes me leary. I may start just giving things to the local churchs/directly to the shelters instead.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Church - weekly offering and mission $upport.
    Community - worked in shelter/service center kitchen for thanksgiving dinner for 2,200 + people.
    - payroll deduction for United Way.
    - helped with needs assessment / grant writing.
    - had been active as a Boy Scout Leader.
    National - various environmental groups.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Yes, I give money to the Red Cross, the United Way, and my Church.

I also spent a few years as a Life Teen Core Member (Youth Leader) at my church and was skiing coach for the Special Olympics several years ago.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    You mean causes other than ZMan's Hoppy Ale Fund? (don't flame me... I kid)

When things are used up at my place, but still have miles left on them I donate things like clothes, kitchen supplies, to various shelters/organizations/etc.
    I have volunteered for cancer research relays.

As far as money goes I'll usually send cash to the food bank around the Holidays.

But it is looking like I do not do much..

I have wanted to work for Habitat for a while now to learn some skills and help some good people.

It looks like I need to be getting busy.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2000
    I belong to the Elks Club (Secretary) and Rotary Club. I deliver Meals-on-Wheels every Thursday and get involved in several other charitable functions here and there.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I give $$$ to the Paralyzed Veterans of America quarterly.
    I buy things from Heifer International (organization dedicated to helping the poor in foreign countries learn to provide for themselves). Most of my gifts are the I-bought-three-rabbits (or chickens or ducks, you get the picture)-in-your-name-for-a-family type thing.
    I support Italian Greyhound Rescue through auction help and promotion materials. I want to do more with them, but am limited by the fact that I can't foster a dog.
    I was on the Habitat list for site research in Houston, but have since moved and haven't gotten into the Dallas chapter (yet!).
    I donate used clothes through the church to their various charities.

Once I get settled into the new house, I plan on donating more time to Habitat and/or some other local group. For a lot of charities, a volunteer's time is as valuable as a donation.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Church-via the collection and I used to watch the children of the ESL class students.

Red Cross

Nature Conservancy

I'd like to do Habitat for Humanity when I have weekends free again.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Church, United Way, Habitat for Humanity, Red Cross, YMCA and a YMCA Board Member. The are also a couple of local groups which I donate. In the past I've given to other various charitable groups.

One of the main things we do is that a group of friends (3 couples) obtain a "family in need" for Christmas through contacts in different organizations. We buy gifts for all family members and a gift card at a grocery store.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I give to the United Way for local needs, Oxfam for famine relief, NPR for their news and music and also donate discards to Goodwill every year.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Wow, there appears to be a lot of charitable people here.

I give to my chruch regularly and drop change in the Salvation Army bucket during the holidays.

What has inspired those who do much more than what I do to donate as much of their time/money as your do? Is it a family history of charitable works? Do you have a role model that you're trying to emulate or is it a pure, selfless drive to help the disadvanted?

I'd love to participate in more chartible stuff but I commonly find that time is the biggest factor against doing so.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    no surprise... I support the ASPCA... including the adoption of a dog out of foster care.
    I have given to the Red Cross, donations to the Salvation Army. I also give to the Riverkeeper.

I also give to APA..oh...they aren't charitable.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    What has inspired those who do much more than what I do to donate as much of their time/money as your do? Is it a family history of charitable works? Do you have a role model that you're trying to emulate or is it a pure, selfless drive to help the disadvanted?
    A good bit of mine comes from my father--one of his heroes was Carnegie and he wrote his old MBA thesis on philanthropic activities and their effect on customer attraction and retention (it was called something like that). My dad always said "with privalege comes responsibility", which was his way of saying we should give back because we have been given so much. Boy Scouts had a major impact on my belief that I should perform community service. our religious beliefs also impacted our giving back (helping the needy, etc.).

A lot of times my other beliefs/past experiences drive which charities I'm active in:

Childrens Miracle Network because of my niece

Boy Scouts because I enjoyed it while I was in it and believe it teaches principles that develop strong, mature young adults. Also, it gets kids outdoors and any many cases puts them with good role models (especially good for those that lack a good male role model in their lives).

I help with the soccer league because I enjoy the game and loved playing it as a kid. It also helps keep me from getting any more out of shape. It gets kids outdoors--they spend way to much time indoors now. I donate for equipment because I don't want kids to have any barriers to keep them from doing something that may keep them steered on the right track. I also love kids.

Animal Shelter Society because I like animals and hate people that don't take care of them properly.

Habitat for Humanity because its something my dad & I do all the time together. I like how they screen applicants and really give them a hand up. I also get to improve my do-it-yourself skills and getting to know the people that get the house.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I have a strict personal policy of contributing only to non-religious organizations such as UNICEF, Oxfam, Amnesty, and others. There are the standard other organizations too, cancer societies, MS societies, etc. And, of course, endowment fund for my faculty.

I'm also trying to get involved with Habitat for Humanity locally, given that I have building code experience.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Midwest Labrador Retreiver Rescue , the NRA , the RNC , and I'm a sucker for putting money in jars at public places for various causes.

I've also donated my time to children's organizations (baseball camps, reading programs, art fairs, etc.) and my local planning department as an unpaid intern before they hired me for pay.

I'm sure there's more, but I just can't think of any right now.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I give money to the red cross and donate blood as much as i can.

I am not sure if it is so common everywhere else- that there are special 'days' for a number of charities where you can donate money- i always donate money to the Make a wish foundation and the Breast cancer foundation
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. List of regional planning organizations
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 12 Jan 2011, 5:53 PM
  2. Membership in private organizations
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 06 Mar 2009, 10:56 AM
  3. Music organizations and city planning?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 03 Oct 2008, 10:08 AM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last post: 04 Oct 2007, 11:14 PM