Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Mississippi River

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

The Mississippi River

This Bear has seen the Mississippi River in a few places.....northern Minnesota, the Minneapolis area, the Minnesota-Wisconsin border, the Quad Cities, and St. Louis, MO. Being a geography nutcake I always looked forward to crossing the Mighty Miss, no matter if it was a crowded interstate with the Gateway Arch in view or the 2-lane smallish bridge in northern Minnesota.

The Mississippi has served as a kind-of half-way mark for the United States, with sentences created in manuals and textbooks that always spoke of "East of the Mississippi" or "West of the Mississipp". It served as a canvas for the stories that Mark Twain spun. It was (and continues to be) imbedded in our culture, from Mud Island to the delta.....from Itasca to Cairo.

The source of the river was "discovered" by Henry Schoolcraft.....yes, that same Henry Schoolcraft that named many of northern Michigan's counties and that same Henry Schoolcraft who has roads, a city, and a county in Michigan named after him. Lake Itasca (in northern Minnesota) is 1475 feet above sea level, so the river has quite a drop as it meanders to the south (and The Gulf of Mexico).

The second-longest river in the United States has huge and lengthy lakes, incredible dams, navagational waters (via locks) through much of its' length, great cities, beautiful bluffs, and some kind of history.

My experiences with the river are minimal.....but I would venture to guess that the Mighty Mississippi holds many memories for a number of our Cyburbian residents.
    What say you?

Bear Finn
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Has anybody crossed by ferryboat ?
    I have on The Dorena, Missouri - Hickman, Kentucky Toll Ferry.

Another cool place to cross is on US 60 south of Cairo where you can cross both The Mississippi and The Ohio in less than 1/2 hr.

Did you know that here is a small piece of Illinois on the westbank of The Mississippi ? at Kaskaskia.

And many more ...
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2003

the muddy mississip

Mrs. H is from a small Mississippi River town in the Mo. Bootheel, they used to party on the banks in High School (some folks still do I think). I go there every x-mas and we have to cross from Kent. to Ill. to Mo., crossing the mighty Mississip on a rickity two-lane bridge that maybe covered in ice and full of tracter trailers... I frichen hate that part of the trip.

I have seen it also at Cape and St. Louis in Mo.

Oh, and my little brother got married two weeks ago (July 1, 2006) in Natchez Miss. That is a cool little historic river town.

I have also gambled on the river off of Vicksburg, MS; Greenville MS; and Tunica, MS... but dont really remember the river.

Sure I saw it in N.O.L.A. those times in college when I went to Mardi Gras, but again, dont really remember the river.

But I do have fond memories of seeing concerts at Mud Island in the river off of Memphis... the sun set behind us and light up the glass of the Memphis Skyline ohh so nice. (that same day a few people died trying to swim accross the river to the island to avoid buying tickets... can you say "Whirlpool" boys and girls?)
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I've crossed it at the Minnesota/Wisconsin line and at the Quad Cities. I've also stayed at a hotel right on the river in Minneapolis and crossed it many times there.

While I'm very familiar with other rivers like the Fox and Illinois Rivers, I think I'd like to explore the Mighty Miss some more. Maybe go to Mississippi Palisades State Park sometime, go to Galena, or just take a drive along the river.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 2005
    my fondest memory of the mississippi is the fact that i've seen bald eagles at the top, in MN, and at the bottom, in the louisiana wetlands.

my BF's father's family is from a small town in IA on the river. most of the family lives on the river and uses the river for recreation and income. i had the pleasure of celebrating Fish Days in that town and road in a boat parade. pretty fun small town pleasures.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    As I've mentioned on here before, I'm from Burlington, IA.. a mississippi river town. I didn't grow up a "river rat" cause my family never had a boat, but I knew plenty of people who did. People always party on the sand bars in the river. I even camped overnight on one once. It is pretty gross water to swim in, but everyone does. Been out on the river on jet skis, and various types of boats, for fishing or just to hang out.

My grandpa use to work the toll booth on the old bridge crossing the river. It was an old 2-lane green thing called MaCarthur Bridge, you had to slow down to 25 mph to cross. I always got a little scared when my family would drive across that thing when I was little. Then when I was in high school they completed the bridge they have now, a 4-lane continuation of the highway through town, so you don't have to slow down or pay a toll.

I spent a lot of time in my youth climbing around on the bluffs, in an area called Blackhawk Trail, where Chief Blackhawk supposedly hung out. Above those bluffs is the first place where the US flag was raised on Iowa soil, by Zebulon Pike. There are a lot of scenic overlooks in Burlington.

A good restaurant/bar right along the river is called Big Muddy's. You can dock your boat right by it and go in for a bite. A line painted on the wall inside denotes the water level during the flood of '93.

Down the way, in Fort Madison, IA (my husband's home town) they've got the longest double-decker swing-span bridge in the world. Cars drive along the top, while trains run beneath you, and the whole thing swings to allow boats to pass under.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I grew up in south Louisiana. I've been back and forth across it thousands of times. We would cross the Huey P. Long Bridge on our way to Grand Isle.

When visiting family we crossed the Sunshine Bridge, a bridge constructed during the administration of Gov. Jimmy "Sunshine" (writer of the song "You are My Sunshine", singer and singing cowboy). The bridge was considered a boondoggle at the time it was constructed and for years saw little traffic, but now it sees a respectable amount of traffic. Perhaps Gov. Davis was just thinking way ahead.

The father of my best friend in grade school told us once he and his brother swam across the Mississippi River above the Huey P. Long Bridge. I was impressed, though I also wondered if he was pulling our legs.

In college, we used to catch the ferries south of Baton Rouge, just for the hell of it.

I think that "Life on the Mississippi" is Twain's best book. An absolute joy to read, especially for an Otterpop.
    Last edited by otterpop; 11 Jul 2006 at 12:00 PM.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2003
    My uncle used to play piano on a riverboat cruise at the Quad Cities.

I have crossed at the Quad cities and many points all the way south.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I cross the Mississippi River every day. On the weekends, Big Easy King and I like to take the ferryboat across the river to hang out downtown and in the French Quarter. Despite seeing it all the time, I never take it for granted, and occasionally stop to marvel at its beauty and its signficance in terms of commerce.

"A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I gazed down at the river from the bluffs in Bettendorf, IA nearly every day of my childhood. Spent many days fishing, boating, swimming from under the the I-74 bridge, then the Iowa-Illinois Memorial Bridge. I have just returned to the shores after 22 years. I missed the big river and now a major part of my job is to continue to exploit its benefits for the Quad Cities. In fact, I think I'll walk 2 blocks down the street and watch the barges on my lunch hour.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Like Bear pointed out, there is a lot of talk about "... on this side of the mississippi" and I always found that interesting. For instance, my high school football stadium had the first electronic scoreboard "west of the mississippi".

Does everyone know that radio/television station call numbers west of the mississippi start with K, while east of the mississippi they start with W. I wonder why that is.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by cch
    Does everyone know that radio/television station call numbers west of the mississippi start with K, while east of the mississippi they start with W. I wonder why that is.
    Not every station.....KDKA, Pittsburgh. WHO, Des Moines. Probably some others, too.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Re: Bear's comment

There tends to be an especially wonderful mess in the metros along the river. In M/SP, studios and transmitters lie on opposite sides of the river, making the K/W naming contentious and/or pointless.

The Mississippi was a daily occurance for me as well. The University of Minnesota's campus straddles the river just downstream from St. Anthony Falls (the only natural falls on the river, though now set in concrete.) Furthermore, the Twin Cities have a number of 'abandoned channels' where the Mississippi has run over the last 10,000 year (since the recession of the last glacier.) One such is the valley just to the east of DT St. Paul (marked by the railyard in aerial photos) stretching up to McCarrons Lake at Rice & Larpenteur (the channel has been obscured by landfilling west of the lake.)

Also, a fun fact: St. Anthony Falls has actually migrated 13 miles over the last 10,000 years. The falls were originally at the confluence with the Minnesota River. One result of the falls' recession is the glen through which Minnehaha creek now flows below its falls in Minnehaha Park (50th & Hiawatha in Minneaplis)
    What luck! A random assemblage of words never sounded less intelligent.

We just got back from vacation in which I crossed the Miss. several times. First at St. Louis, then stops at Ft. Madison, Iowa, McGregor, Iowa (Pikes Peak State Park) and Prairie du Chein, Wisconsin. We even canoed for several miles in the east channel by St. Fariole Island. It was quite a nice place.

Quote Originally posted by cch
    Down the way, in Fort Madison, IA (my husband's home town) they've got the longest double-decker swing-span bridge in the world. Cars drive along the top, while trains run beneath you, and the whole thing swings to allow boats to pass under.
    I was in Ft. Madison a couple of weeks ago but I didn't see the bridge. Well, I saw it from a distance but didn't realize it was a double-decker. Too bad, I think the kids would have really got into it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hello from Mississippi
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 03 Feb 2010, 8:39 AM
  2. From Mississippi
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 15 Jun 2009, 11:54 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last post: 26 Oct 2005, 12:30 PM