Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning direct economic results

Registered
    Jul 2002

Planning direct economic results

Hey Gang!

I am helping a local city assemble some up-front information for preparing a long range strategic plan/urban design plan for a nice, but underused portion of a historic college town. One of the major points that the folks putting this together would like to make is that the plan will directly spark redevelopment that will increase economic activity. What they are looking for is a precentage of increase in economic activity related to redevelopment as a result of a good plan.

Basically we are looking for a number to fill in this blank-

-communities that have undergone strategic redevelopment and urban planning have averaged ___% increase in sales tax, property values, business ownership, etc

Any ideas where this information can be found? Is there any national tracking of economic activity as a result of revelopment? Seems like there should be.

Any and advice is greatly appreciated.
    She has been a bad girl, she is like a chemical, though you try and stop it she is like a narcotic.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    This is a tough one. Personally, I think there are too many variables to give such a blunt answer.

How good was the original plan and did it accuratly reflect market realities?

How dedicated were the elected officials to implementing the plan?

Was there full support from staf and the community to make the hard changes necessary?

Etc.

Do you see where I am going with this. Each city/county is different and I do not know of a single variable that can be used to provide such figures. It may be a better approach to research different communities that have undergne this transformation, contact them directly, and provide "case studies". Good luck!
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Most state Main Street Programs, such as the one in Wisconsin, produce an annual report which documents new investment in downtowns in the state. This might be an approximate source. I think you might be still better off providing estimates of your own. This is commonly the approach we use, especially when calculating potential TIF increments.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Thanks for the input.

I apologize for the vagueness of it all, however there seems to be a mandate to provide a hard number for the old what exactly are we buying? question
    She has been a bad girl, she is like a chemical, though you try and stop it she is like a narcotic.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Economic planning components
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 05 Aug 2008, 5:44 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 20 Mar 2008, 5:09 PM
  3. DISH versus Direct TV
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 16 Jul 2005, 3:01 PM