Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Graphic Novels

Registered
    Oct 2003

Graphic Novels

Graphic novels are not exactly comic strips.
    Graphic novels are "long-form work(s) in the comics form, usually with lengthy and complex storylines, and often aimed at mature audiences." (Refer to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphic_novel for more information)
    Graphic novels are not always humourous. At times, they can take on a very serious tone.

Lately, I've been reading some graphic novels and enjoyed reading them.

I read and enjoyed reading these ones:

Paul Has a Summer Job by Michel Rabagliati
    Paul Moves Out by Michel Rabagliati
    It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken by Seth
    Pedro and Me: Friendship, Loss, and What I Learned by Judd Winick

Do any of you Cyburbians read graphic novels?

Do you have any recommendations?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Do the old Tintin or Asterix publications count? They're are a little bit older and different from the modern Frank Miller-esque novels that are out today.

I read them as a kid, and I will revisit them a couple times a year when I want to go back to being a kid.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Hceux
    Do you have any recommendations?
    Alan Moore's "V for Vendetta" and "Watchmen" are always great.

I recently picked up "The Quitter" by Pekar and Haspiel.

Be sure to read "Indentity Crisis" by Meltzer if you like an intersting take on superheroes and conspiracies. It's a DC GN, with the usual Batman, Superman, etc pathos.

Anything by Paul Chadwick about "Concrete" from Dark Horse are fun.

I like "Sandman" by Gaiman, but I think it's an aquired taste. My favorite chapters are "Brief Lives" and "The Kindly Ones."

And you must get "Jimmy Corrigan" by Chris Ware, published by Pantheon/Fantagraphics. Unforgettable.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I had already posted this over in the reading thread, but have deleted it and moved my answer here.

my list of recommended graphic novels

maus - art spiegelman

contract with god -will eisner
    the plot
    name of the game

beg the question - bob fingerman

ghost world - dan clowes

ego and hubris - harvey pekar

Not graphic novels but good collections

The Big Books (especially urban legends and vice)
    cerebus (aka the phone books - over 500 issues collected)
    Hate (50 comics or so collected into readable volumes) peter bagge
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    May 2003
    How could anyone mention graphic novels without mentioning American Splendor by Harvey Pekar? It's the only one I've read but I liked it very much.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

The "Paul" graphic novels you mentioned by Michel Rabagliati are excelent. They're translated from French (I think he's a Quebequois). Unfortunatley there aren't enough high quality graphic novels in english (at least not enough to quench my appitite), so looking to originally foreign published sources is a good way to find new and interesting works of art. Other Graphic novels translated from French that are excelent include:

Epeleptic by David B.
    Persepolis (books 1 and 2) and another title called Embroderies by Marjane Satrapi
    both are autobiographies, and extremely well done.

There are plenty of English speakers putting out great work too.

Joe Saaco has taken a journalistic approach to his nonfiction works in Palestine and Safe Area Gorajde (about Bosnia)

Jar of Fools by Jason Lutes is great, also check out the first book in his series Berlin (the second should come out soon).

Box Office Poison by Alex Robinson, is a good phone book sized story, I liked it better than his later work called Tricked.

Jeff Smith's Bone is now also available in Phone Book size... it's kind of a Walt Kellys Pogo meets J.R.R. Tolkien, a great read and (unlike most of this list) suitable for children.

Craig Thompson put out an incredibly personal work called Blankets about growing up in a Born-again Christian home and he does it without resorting to the type of bitterness that usually accompanies that type of tale. He also has a book I've been meaning to pick up called Goodbye Chunky Rice, I'm told it's very good.

As was mentioned before Daniel Clowes is a great source for material, as well as Chris Ware. I've often found that certain publishers don't really put out "bad" graphic novels, In my experience you can't go wrong picking up anything put out by Top Shelf, Drawn and Quarterly, or Pantheon (a division of Random house and perhaps the top of the comics as literature crowd).

I could go on and on... I have a 7 ft. tall book shelf filled with my graphic novels collection (to be fair many of them are my girlfriends X-Men Trade paperbacks), maybe it's good that their arent aren't enough high quality graphic novels in english.. I'd be in the poor house.

Registered
    Mar 2004

What....

No fans of Milo Manara .....or Heavy Metal (a fun magazine to read sometimes.....was much better in the 90's)

Anyone ever read a comic book called "PLOP"
    Skilled Adoxographer

Quote Originally posted by The One
    Anyone ever read a comic book called "PLOP"
    Is that by Sergio Aragones? I've read some Groo and some of his Mad Magazine work but never anything else by him. Is it worth looking for?

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Wow, what a bunch of recommendations! Yaa, I look forward to checking them out. I just hope that the city's public library system has some of these books that you Cyburbians suggested.

Today, when I was doing my tourist bit in the city, I read a graphic novel: Bannock, Beans, and Black Tea: Memories of a Prince Edward Island Childhood in the Great Depression by John Gallant and Seth.

In the book, Seth reveals his real name! What a shocker that was for me!

This book really had me thinking about how much I take things for granted and I didn't think I was that bad of a "taking-things-for-granted-too-easily" person!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Elfquest.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I forgot about the Joe Sacco books, they are really good. Interesting views of world events told in a different media.

For history buffs, you migh want to check out Louis Riel by Chester Brown.

For people interested in art and the process of art try Matt Madden's 99 Ways to Tell a Story. This is based on a french work of the 1940's . He draws and tells the same story 99 different ways.

Final reccomendation, for now, is Joe Matt's Peep Show. Funny stories about a cheapskate.

[b]BGS[/b} my collection is about the same size as your GF's, and growing
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Just Read Will Eisners last Book

The Plot:The Secret Story of The Protocols of the Elders of Zion

It was a decent historical novel, informative but not completely riviting. But as the man who invented the Graphic Novel Genre it's worth picking up.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yes....

Quote Originally posted by Big Green Scott
    Is that by Sergio Aragones? I've read some Groo and some of his Mad Magazine work but never anything else by him. Is it worth looking for?
    With only 24 issues, I will try to collect them all over the next few months. Basil Wolverton did the covers and this comic is a must have for those fans of the weird.
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 29 Nov 2010, 3:13 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 26 Mar 2009, 11:59 AM
  3. Urban design graphic standards
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 06 Jun 2005, 12:35 PM
  4. Historical Novels About Places