Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: General Courses Leading up to a MURP Course.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

General Courses Leading up to a MURP Course.

Well, I have begun the search for higher academia and have looked into grad programs.
    Now, I have seen some programs state that incoming grad students should be weel versed in many subjects of social science including: economics, social science, sociology, environmental studies, geography, etc.

I have also been thinking of learning CAD, and have signed on to take a couple courses at the local community college (hoping too, that good grades there will help in grad school admission), the only course I am not well versed in is Economics (macro and micro).

Which economics course (macro or micro) would be best taken to benefit studying for a MURP?

Also, any other general course one would recommend to brush up on?
    It has been a little over 2 years since BA graduation for me.

Thanks.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2005
    i took micro in undergrad and thank god they let me take that pass/fail! other wise no graduating cum laude for me.

what was your BA in? are you looking to specialize in your MURP?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol
    what was your BA in? are you looking to specialize in your MURP?
    My BA is in Applied Geography (i.e. GIS/Planning)

I am looking to either specialize in Urban Design, Socialogical Aspects of Urban Design/Planning, or Environmental Planning.

I signed up for a CAD course and a micro economics course for fall, but I have been thinking of maybe a sociology/environmental studies course to add. This all depends on whether I get this state of Colorado program initiated to help with tuition. That could be the difference between $900 and $450, as well as the difference between 2 night courses or 3 this fall.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmm....

Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Well, I have begun the search for higher academia and have looked into grad programs.
    Now, I have seen some programs state that incoming grad students should be weel versed in many subjects of social science including: economics, social science, sociology, environmental studies, geography, etc.

I have also been thinking of learning CAD, and have signed on to take a couple courses at the local community college (hoping too, that good grades there will help in grad school admission), the only course I am not well versed in is Economics (macro and micro).

Which economics course (macro or micro) would be best taken to benefit studying for a MURP?

Also, any other general course one would recommend to brush up on?
    It has been a little over 2 years since BA graduation for me.

Thanks.
    My friend....I would suggest that you enroll for a class at the CU Boulder campus or Denver, Greeley or Ft. Collins in classes at the graduate level. Geography at CU Boulder or CU Denver or one of the economics classes in the Planning Dept. at Denver....maybe Real Estate Finance or similar.... a graduate class would look good on an application.
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I would say take both macroeconomics and microeconomics, related yes, but still different enought to warrant taking both of them. It will give you a solid understanding of economic influences and pressures in the world at large and in your town. Sometimes summer session at a community college offers both of them in a compressed schedule.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 17
    Last post: 15 Mar 2010, 5:09 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last post: 13 Dec 2007, 1:03 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 16 May 2006, 2:31 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last post: 09 Nov 2005, 5:42 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last post: 14 Mar 2005, 8:02 PM