Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Annexation questions

Annexation questions

I have a couple questions on annexation that may be viewed as "duh" questions.

1) The consulting firm that wrote our comprehensive plan (before I was around) included an area that we are currently targeting for annexation as within the city limits. So the annexation map of the comp plan does not show the area as property needing annexation as the map shows it within the city limits. Can I just ammend the annexation map of the comprehensive plan before (and in the same meeting as) the annexation of the property?

2) We are going outward from the city's limits in one direction through a stack of lots on top of each other. In essence the other 4 properties heading eastward from the contiguous property are non-contigous and couldn't be annexed unless they first property was annexed. The engineer kept these properties apart so that they would each be approved by diff ordinances. Can I write one study for the entire area, yet have multiple ordinances?

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Solman15
    I have a couple questions on annexation that may be viewed as "duh" questions.

1) The consulting firm that wrote our comprehensive plan (before I was around) included an area that we are currently targeting for annexation as within the city limits. So the annexation map of the comp plan does not show the area as property needing annexation as the map shows it within the city limits. Can I just ammend the annexation map of the comprehensive plan before (and in the same meeting as) the annexation of the property?
    Do you have restrictions within your State Statutes concerning comprehensive plans and land use decisions (i.e. Smart Growth regulations)? Here in Wisconsin, after 2010, our land use decisions have to be consistent with the adopted comprehensive plan. At this point, we amend the comprehensive plan to show the correct information at the same meeting as the annexation; however, the comp plan amendment occurs first. Our comp plan is amended mostly in conjunction with rezonings. Anyway, review your State Statutes concerning comprehensive plans and annexations and consult your City Attorney to verify.

2) We are going outward from the city's limits in one direction through a stack of lots on top of each other. In essence the other 4 properties heading eastward from the contiguous property are non-contigous and couldn't be annexed unless they first property was annexed. The engineer kept these properties apart so that they would each be approved by diff ordinances. Can I write one study for the entire area, yet have multiple ordinances?
    I am having difficulty answering your second question; what do you mean by "study"? Do you mean special studies for the comprehensive plan? If so, then yes, I see no problem with doing one study.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    1. I see no reason why you cannot do both in one meeting, provided that all notification requirements are met. Of course, there are differences in legislation from state to state, and yours may have provisions I am not aware of.

2. Again, it should be no problem to complete a single study for all of the properties.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Piecemeal annexation problems
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 23 Apr 2009, 9:06 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 11 Feb 2009, 11:52 AM
  3. Annexation services report
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 2