Urban planning community

Thread: Polar Reunion

Registered
    Aug 2001

Polar Reunion

Wow! We just finished a fantastic week in Barrow, Alaska the week of July 10-14. Some 1000 delegates and visitors from around Alaska, Canada, Greenland and Russia attended a meeting of the Inuit Circumpolar Conference (ICC).

This is an international group started in 1977 by the first mayor of the North Slope Borough in Alaska --the late Eben Hopson, Sr.

I had the privilege to be at that first meeting in Barrow almost 30 years ago, so it was extra special to be here for this meeting, the first time the group has met in Barrow since the original get-together.

The ICC was formed to help enhance unity among its members, and to speak out on polar issues which transcend national boundaries. These include human rights and the rights of indigenous peoples, including hunting and whaling rights. Also now climate change and global warming.

Back in 1977, communications in Arctic Alaska, and other polar regions, where often very basic. Local folks in Barrow remember limited and varied long-distance phone service, and the big thing ---no e-mail.

"We love our e-mail," a representative from Greenland told me.
    This year's conference was streamed by public radio station KBRW in Barrow and also video streamed around the world.

But old technology or new, the thing that has always struck me about the ICC is that it demonstrates the incredible unity among polar peoples. The distances are great, and the roads are few, but the indigenous people of the Arctic and sub-Arctic have longstanding roots of freindship and sharing.

Wish you could have all been here for this event.
    Earl in Barrow
    Earl the Farthest North Cub Fan

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Wow... that sounds really cool! I'd love to be involved with something like that.

My stepdaughter just went up to Taloyoak, Nunavut on an exchange program in late-April to experience native life on the Arctic Ocean. She even went on a seal hunt, made fox fur mittens, etc. She came back raving about how good caribou tastes, and I can't even get her to eat beef half the time. She wants to go back up there so bad!

Registered
    Aug 2001

Update on Inuit Circumpolar Conference

Hello again ---
    It is now Sunday July 16 and international visitors still here, and getting ready for departure. Can get complex with international air schedules and routes, especially in the Arctic. In addition to post-911 security and international travel concerns.

Folks here in Barrow trying to catch up on some sleep after a super-busy week, with long, long, but very enjoyable and stimulating, days and nights.
    For a town with less than 5,000 people, Barrow was really energized with all the visitors from Alaska, Canada, Greenland and Russia.

Wow.
    Earl
    Earl the Farthest North Cub Fan

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 09 Feb 2009, 1:38 PM
  2. The reunion thread.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 42
    Last post: 10 Feb 2007, 9:42 PM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last post: 18 Mar 2006, 1:17 PM