Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Unusual Home Décor

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Unusual Home Décor

I've done a search through the threads but didn't find anything along this line. If somebody else finds something similar, the Mods are more the welcome to merge.

During an envious phase, ZG was admiring some of my wall furnishings last weekend. Yes, some of it is unusual.

What do you display in your casa that is unusual? Post your images.

Poor quality image, but it's wine corks (yes, from corks collected over the years), glued to a purchased frame. It hangs in my dining area.

Logo golf ball rack. One of two racks. I've played at each of the courses.

And of course, the house warming gifts from my friends here in Florida.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Two events have purged my life of almost all of the unusual decorating items I had accumulated over the years.
    1) Getting married.
    2) Buying and decorating a home with said spouse.

I still have a few things but most have been relegated to either my office or the basement. Granted, Mrs. biscuit has some unusual things of her own, but I suppose they're less tacky than what I came with.
    Last edited by biscuit; 17 Jul 2006 at 10:09 PM.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Hey dumba$$, you stole my idea! If I hadn't flown home from the panhandle and gone to work for 1/2 day today I'd have started this thread!

Oh, and i can tell, your rearranged some items just for the pic!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Hey dumba$$, you stole my idea! If I hadn't flown home from the panhandle and gone to work for 1/2 day today I'd have started this thread!

Oh, and i can tell, your rearranged some items just for the pic!
    I grow impatient with you, Butthead.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Does posting a topographical map on the wall as a focus point of the room count as an unusual home decor approach?

I also have a corner where I've posted up some inspirational quotes on colourful paper.

I've stored my CDs in an old wire shopping basket.

I've put up all the postcards that I've received on my fridge.

I'm actually looking forward to see what unusual home decor ideas and approaches that you are brave enough to share with us.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Hceux
    ...I've put up all the postcards that I've received on my fridge.....
    That counts! ZG and I talked about that, too. POST!

Depending how far this goes, I'll post my 'fridge, too.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    How about 'fridge magnets ?

Fire Dept patches, Alumni Fund raising print of Old Main both framed.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Just saw something else in my apartment that may be considered unusual by some: stacking three vintage suitcases in a pyramidial form, making a tabletop for my tape/cd/stereo player to sit on.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    My house is furnished in a low key manner after having been raised by the knick knack queen. However, I will try and get some photos edited of my three brother-in-laws houses. They are all Arab and the houses are pretty much decorated in that fashion.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek
    My house is furnished in a low key manner after having been raised by the knick knack queen. However, I will try and get some photos edited of my three brother-in-laws houses. They are all Arab and the houses are pretty much decorated in that fashion.
    Heh, lots of gilded details and fluorescent-colored, intricate fabric prints?
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I know i have mentioned this before

Original Comic Book Art
    Japanese toys (where the wild things are, asterix, Buddy Bradley)
    Glass
    books
    bikes
    bicycle pint glasses
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hceux
    Does posting a topographical map on the wall as a focus point of the room count as an unusual home decor approach?
    A number of years ago, I was thinking that if I had a place with a rec room that I'd go down to the map store, buy a whole bunch of local USGS 7.5 minute topographic maps and use them as wallpaper on its 'major' wall. Mosaiced together, I can't help but think that that would be a stunning bit of decor, especially if the house was in a geographically interesting metro area, and at about $7-10/sheet, pretty economical, too!

Mike

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    My uncle, who has since retired from the wine business, has a similar wine cork board underneath his dart board to protect vintage plaster walls from dart throwers who had too much wine.

I still have a bachelor room, where a Rush calendar and a couple sports pictures are hung. I also have an old bowling pin on display and some Hungarian soccer flags.
    The garage has beer and sports poster hanging in it as well.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Luca
    Heh, lots of gilded details and fluorescent-colored, intricate fabric prints?
    Exactly except the prints aren't flourescent but they are fancy. My husband says they don't understand that tasteful and understated are good things.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I have been a collector for too long, so I have some quirky folk art. Probably the most colorful is a carved wooden Balinese dragon hanging from the ceiling. I also have antique Burmese temple carvings, a pair of cast iron Burmese Fu Dogs (quite large and heavy), and a lot of pottery. I also have some quirky modern paintings that befit my liking of certain more bizarre cartoons (Ren and Stimpy, and my absolute favorite, Invader Zim). The one large painting is by a Sacramento artist with some very Invader Zim-esque (or maybe Quisp cereal ) characters superimposed on the scene.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Our kitchen cabinet doors are covered with European road maps and we have a book case in the kids room covered with world maps. I used to have a chair made out of old skis. The spouse got rid of that quickly (to her credit, it was incredibly uncomfrotable). We also have a 2 inch ledge around our kitchen where the wine corks go.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    ultimate in Kool Home Decor

People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Man that looks like the kitchen in our house we had in the 1970's except we had harvest gold and avocado green linoleum on the floor

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Nothing too weird in my home. My husband is a minimalist (every wall of his dorm room was bare! I'd never seen such a thing!), and I have to twist his arm to put up the few things we've got.

Interesting decor elsewhere, that comes to mind, is at my friend's house in high school. Spent a lot of time in her finished basement that had a chair rail all around. And standing upright, lined up on top of all of the chair rail, were her dad's duck calls. There were hundreds of them, and he was very particular about how they were lined up. One wild night a bunch accidently got knocked down and my friend flipped out.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    And you wonder why so many people want to be like you.
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874–1963) (From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    I grow impatient with you, Butthead.
    Such lovely endearing names you have for each other.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ahh.....

Does my key chain with a large rubber chicken count? I have three pieces of antique art in my house and the rest is newer stuff.

RJ, where's the pool table and felt covered bar with the painting of the dogs playing poker? Talk about a bachelor pad, it must drive ZG nuts?
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jul 2003
    At the moment, "decor" of any kind for me is limited to storing my clothes mostly in those extra large ziploc bags instead of a dresser (a few things hang on a hook on the back of the door). When we get tired of the clutter, we throw a few things out and rearrange the grouping of bags on the floor. Occasionally, they get rearranged spontaneously when some huge roach gets into the room and we chase it about with murder in mind.

I be stylin'.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    This is a dolphin my sister and I caught (yep, with 2 lines!) on a deep-sea fishing trip off Ft Lauderdale when we were 10 or so. It's on my family room wall.

This is a display of souvenir spoons my son and I have collected, on our travels, since he was born. I also have a few in there that my great-aunt acquired in the '50's and '60's.

Oh, almost missed this one: it's a Disney animation cel from the original 101 Dalmations movie.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    ...RJ, where's the pool table and felt covered bar with the painting of the dogs playing poker? Talk about a bachelor pad, it must drive ZG nuts?
    No pool table and no painting of poker playing dogs. I think the only thing that drives ZG nuts are the mustard colored walls in my office/third bedroom. She can add to the list, though. Which I'm sure she will.

Here's my refrigerator/freezer. I know, low on wine. Sam's Club tomorrow during my lunch break.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Unusual travel souvenir
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 25 Jul 2014, 4:43 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last post: 13 Dec 2012, 4:15 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 01 Dec 2011, 1:20 PM
  4. Replies: 13