Thread: Trouble in bloom at California development site

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Trouble in bloom at California development site

Headline and Article from the AP Wire:
    http://www.newsday.com/news/science/...ence-headlines

Hightlights:

SEBASTOPOL, Calif. -- Did someone in this wine country town illegally plant an endangered flower to sabotage a proposed housing development? That is the question at the center of a quarrel folks here have dubbed "Foamgate."

... opponents seized on the discovery of the federally protected species in hopes it would force the developer to scale back plans for 145 houses and apartments.

But state wildlife officials investigated and concluded that the meadowfoam had been transplanted there. They ordered it dug up.

"Our community takes a very hard, careful look at development," said Kenyon Webster, the town's planning director. "That small-town character is the reason a lot of people want to live here."

When the meadowfoam appeared in April 2005, and the Department of Fish and Game determined it had been planted, it appeared to be the work of zealous conservationists.

"The people who planted it mistakenly believed that it would be the silver bullet that killed the project," said Scott Schellinger of Schellinger Brothers, the developer behind Laguna Vista.
    Anybody have any stories about the length / efforts taken to delay / stop a subdivision project ?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Anybody have any stories about the length / efforts taken to delay / stop a subdivision project ?
    When I was working out in California, a neighbor opposed to a proposed development would drag a garden hose to the center of project site each night and turn on the water. Lo and behold, a "seasonal vernal wetland" developed. WTF is that? More delays. More environmental assessment. Only in California thanks to CEQA. Oh, those days out on the left coast....I'm sure I'll remember more when the fog of this past weekend clears....
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I know of some little kids who pulled out all the survey stakes for a subdivision in the woods where we, I mean they, played.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    When I was working out in California, a neighbor opposed to a proposed development would drag a garden hose to the center of project site each night and turn on the water. Lo and behold, a "seasonal vernal wetland" developed. WTF is that? More delays. More environmental assessment. Only in California thanks to CEQA. Oh, those days out on the left coast....I'm sure I'll remember more when the fog of this past weekend clears....

A vernal pool is a seasonal depression that is covered by shallow water for a few months out of the year and is dry for the remainder. It can provide habitat for many different types of rare and endangered species- including fauna that may lay their eggs that remain dormant during the dry months. Many different types of animals also use them as a seasonal food and water source.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Hmm....

Quote Originally posted by Otis
    I know of some little kids who pulled out all the survey stakes for a subdivision in the woods where we, I mean they, played.
    Let me guess......did that happen in Florida perhaps.......and were there owls involved.....hmm......I hope your getting some of the royalties........

Hey, is this Carl?
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    Let me guess......did that happen in Florida perhaps.......and were there owls involved.....hmm......I hope your getting some of the royalties........

Hey, is this Carl?
    OT: You're a real hoot. Weren't your rights to read his books revoked when you moved out of state?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 12 Dec 2009, 10:29 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 13 Mar 2009, 11:53 AM
  3. Site development in the middle of single-family
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Jan 2007, 10:02 AM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 03 Aug 2005, 4:23 PM