Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Community planning vs community development

Registered
    Aug 2005

Community planning vs community development

what are the differences and/or similarities between Community Planning and Community Development?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol
    what are the differences and/or similarities between Community Planning and Community Development?
    In many instances, the difference is in name only. Generally, in the south, Community Development is used in reference to a Department/Agency that contains planning, zoning, CDBG/housing, code enforcement, permitting, building, inspections, and erosion control. I have also seen Community Development Departments with economic development and/or business license.

I have never heard of a Community Planning Department, at least in Georgia, as a name for this type of agency. It may be a regional vernacular.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Aug 2005
    i thought the same thing. however, on thursday i'm interviewing for a position in community planning. according to their organizational chart community development is a different branch.

i think i might have to do with community preservation, do i sound off-base on this?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol
    i thought the same thing. however, on thursday i'm interviewing for a position in community planning. according to their organizational chart community development is a different branch.

i think i might have to do with community preservation, do i sound off-base on this?
    Hopfully there is some web research that you can do to help you find out more about what type of work tjey do. Good luck!
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Where I work Community Development is basically a seperate branch, and it is all about CDBGs and housing assistance (first time buyers and low income rehabs). The Community Development guys have nothing to do with zoning, subdivisions or development plans, like the rest of us work on.

Registered
    May 2005
    I would say that community development is focused on addressing things like economic development, housing, and other issues that lead to social cohesion.

To me, community planning implies more about the process of engaging with local communities to identify what their key needs are (which may or may not be the same as above).

I don't think they are mutually exclusive terms as each approach overlaps with the other in a great many areas.

Perhaps community development is more from the Social Reformist approach (it assumes a set of consistent issues that any community needs to be successful and works on addressing those - jobs, housing, etc.) whereas social planning is more from the Social Learning side (assuming that communities already know what they need and that the role of the planning process is to articulate this knowledge in a way that a municipality can address).
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    In my experience I have come across "community planning" as a department with the responsibilities most equivalent to long range or comprehensive planning.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by gkmo62u
    In my experience I have come across "community planning" as a department with the responsibilities most equivalent to long range or comprehensive planning.
    good point. that would make sense considering what the other departments are in the organization.

thanks to you and to the others who have chipped in.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    From what I have seen recently as I interviewed (Jan-July), most cities have a Community Development Director and the planning division works for that department.
    Trying to get my grubby hands on as much stimulus money as I can.:D

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 12 Mar 2010, 11:10 PM
  2. Community development / social planning
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 28 Feb 2010, 11:31 PM
  3. Rural planning/community development
    Rural and Small Town Planning
    Replies: 9