Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning for local business/ local agriculture

Registered
    Jul 2006

Planning for local business/ local agriculture

I was not sure where to post this since I would not mind a variety of responses but- can anyone direct me to examples of cities using specific planning techniques to successfully enhance local business and local agriculture (if not urban agriculture)in the face of sprawling chain stores and unsustainable agricultural practices?

Registered
    Jul 2006

Have a look at what Chicago's doing

This is my second Chicago post out of three posts to date, but I guess I was impressed by what Chicago was promoting when I saw their mayor at the Globe 2006 conference earlier this year... They seem to be pro-urban farming... I'd suggest investigating what they're doing and what their policies are.

Check out the 2005 Environmental Action Agenda for the City of Chicago, specifically the section on "Regional Food System"

Registered
    Jul 2006

Thanks again!

Quote Originally posted by DPP
    This is my second Chicago post out of three posts to date, but I guess I was impressed by what Chicago was promoting when I saw their mayor at the Globe 2006 conference earlier this year... They seem to be pro-urban farming... I'd suggest investigating what they're doing and what their policies are.

Check out the 2005 Environmental Action Agenda for the City of Chicago, specifically the section on "Regional Food System"
    They seem to be on top of everything I am interested in promoting... thanks again, for your timely reply

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Try googling "direct farm marketing," and visit the site www.openair.org for information on ag marketing and public markets.

Madison, Wisconsin has a program which puts local produce in schools, restaurants, and grocery schools in the community. In Oregon, the Hood River Fruit Loop is an outstanding example of agritourism. I organized an organic food economic development initiative when I was in Colorado.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Quote Originally posted by GreenGirl
    I was not sure where to post this since I would not mind a variety of responses but- can anyone direct me to examples of cities using specific planning techniques to successfully enhance local business and local agriculture (if not urban agriculture)in the face of sprawling chain stores and unsustainable agricultural practices?
    Hi,

In BC, there is Provincial Agricultural Land Comission. The Commission uses Agricultural Land Reserve (ALR). Once land is destinated as ALR, it cannot be developed. The ALR lands have become boundaries of suburban sprawl.

Here is an excerpt that explains ALR much better:

"British Columbia recognized this predicament in the 1970s and established the Agricultural Land Reserve. While established to preserve agricultural land, the Reserve has acted as a de facto urban growth boundary. It has become the cornerstone of a comprehensive planning approach as embodied in the Livable Region Strategic Plan of the Greater Vancouver Regional District. The Plan has helped guide the accommodation of an additional million people in the Region over the past 30 years while maintaining productive farmland, important green space and habitat."

greenbelt.bc.ca/getpdf.php?org=oGrowing_Together.pdf

This is the official site of ALR: alc.gov.bc.ca

Hope that this helps.

(Note that I cannot place links because I am a new member here.)

Registered
    May 1997
    Check the American Farmland Trust's website. Not many jurisdictions have formal ag deveopment strategies, but there are a few. I would check state ag agencies in PA, MD, and CA,

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Utah has a program called Buy Local First which promotes local businesses and sustainability. Also, Salt Lake City has a community garden program and a the Downtown Alliance has a very successful Farmers Market. I think most efforts are more along the lines of economic development practices than planning specific practices through small business programs. Probably the biggest planning related activity related would be through the transfer of development rights process and preserving open spaces and agricultural lands.

Livermore CA would probably be a good one to look at for some planning related items. They have a planning area that specifically was designed to preserve the local agricultural market. I would image that the Napa/Sonoma areas would have some things to.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Strategic local planning?
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Nov 2010, 10:36 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 31 Dec 2006, 5:17 PM
  3. Forming a local business association?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 19 Sep 2005, 2:57 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 12 Jan 2005, 10:47 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last post: 19 Jan 1998, 11:17 AM