Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: ARTICLE: Residents question Houston's zoning laws after massive warehouse fire

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

ARTICLE: Residents question Houston's zoning laws after massive warehouse fire

http://www.khou.com/news/local/resid...fire/175426214

The issue to require zoning laws failed four times when put on past ballots.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    are they going to make another attempt to get some land use regulations?
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Having lived and worked in Houston, I don't think zoning would have changed things for the resident quoted. The existing use would have remained until redevelopment, so the warehouse would have remained in operation even if zoning had been approved.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    Having lived and worked in Houston, I don't think zoning would have changed things for the resident quoted. The existing use would have remained until redevelopment, so the warehouse would have remained in operation even if zoning had been approved.
    Agreed. Texas has some of the strongest continuing use/non-conforming use protections you'll find. There is an amortization of nonconforming uses method available, but it is wrought with headaches & potential for litigation.

As far as land use controls go, a lot of people don't realize that Houston does effectively have a sort of zoning through a tapestry of various performance standards and ability to enforce certain deed restrictions. But at this point, the city is so far down the rabbit hole that I don't think you'll see meaningful zoning created. I mean, this is a state where we are now frequently seeing legal challenges to zoning & comprehensive plan adoption in several cities (Plano, Keller, Sugar Land... to name a few).

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 25 May 2015, 1:46 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 18 May 2014, 5:06 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 09 Dec 2008, 11:53 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 28 Oct 2008, 4:42 AM
  5. Zoning laws that bar pedophiles
    Land Use and Zoning