Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Poll results: Would you move back to your hometown?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, in the drop of a hat

4 8.33%
  • Maybe

22 45.83%
  • Nope, not ever

14 29.17%
  • Only if home town is somewhere in Canukistan

1 2.08%
  • Why do you hate America? Move.

2 4.17%
  • Other, explain below

5 10.42%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Back to my hometown

Registered
    Aug 2001

Back to my hometown

Anybody ever want to go back to their hometown? I'm listening to this song by Joe Jackson about going back to his hometown.

I wonder if it's still there.

I wouldn't go back. Taxes would eat me up. California is not the place at this point. Plus, I really love Florida. And my hometown, Ft. Bragg CA, is dead.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I'd go back to my hometown in a heartbeat. Central FL, warmer weather, WDW, lakes, cute little towns, REAL MALLS and shopping areas, an actual city. Yep.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I like the idea of being closer to my family, then again there are many perks to living a bit further away...As a town, I'm not in love with my hometown.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Do you mean your actual home town or your home metro region? I live in the same metro region that I grew up in, but not the same town. I can't really imagine moving back to the town I grew up in. Its just not my style. But the region, I love the region. It the hub of the universe - OK, maybe just the sports universe.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Every job I've had has been within 60 miles of "home." For a time I was Planning Manager for the city that was home to my college. I have a short list of places that I would move to if the opportunity presented itself, but I like it here.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I'd move back to the small city in northern Michigan I grewup in, but I would have to have a good stable job/income where I could support my family and not be stretched (aka <$50,000/yr).

I'd go back because my parents have retired back there, my Bro/SIL/nephew are there and it's on a Great Lake. Plus, I can get really nice housing for peanuts.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I would go back. I live fairly close now, but the school system would be great for my kids to grow up in. I wouldn't make the drive currently though to my work. If I found something closer, I would consider it.
    Last edited by Hink; 22 Dec 2010 at 9:16 AM.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    If I found something closer, I would consider it.
    There are two open City Manager positions this way.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    There are two open City Manager positions this way.
    Yes, and I will pass. It is political enough around these parts Thanks though
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2007
    The poll is invalid - it doesn't give an option for those of use who didn't grow up in a town (or a city, village, megalopolis, hamlet, etc...). The closest towns were 10 miles in either direction from my house and I don't consider either of them my hometown.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Potentially I could move back. I like the place alright and enjoy when we go back to visit mom. But I do remember the difference of living there when I was groing up and living they as a working professional. Those are two distinct types of living...
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I said "maybe," but it would have to be for a pretty good reason. When I am home I feel just that, like I am home, not doing anything exciting. Even though what I might be doing here is not really always exciting, just that fact that I am off doing it is. Does that make any sense? It does to me, so I answered "maybe" because I never say never...

EDIT: But I am going back for Christmas though! Moms still lives in the same house I grew up in, so that is nice [to visit]
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I moved around alot as a kid, so it's hard to define my "hometown". If you mean the place where I was born, the no way. If you mean the place I lived the longest growing up, then I might consider it.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I currently live in the same town I have lived in since I was 9 years old. It is an outer northwest suburb of Chicago. I love it here and if I can find a job in the area and stay in this suburb or one of the surrounding ones, I would definitely do so.

Regarding the town I lived in from birth until 9 years old, it is a closer-in northwest suburb of Chicago. I really don't know if I would move back there though. It was great growing up, but things have changed so much. Granted, a lot of improvements have been made in the area and they have really great schools, parks, restaurants, and much more shopping than when I was growing up, but the demographics have changed a lot and the cost of living has gone way up. I don't know if I could afford the Cook County taxes or the homes in the area. For housing, you can get a lot more bang for your buck in the outer fringe suburbs where I'm currently at than in the closer-in suburbs. I would definitely take a job working for that town in a heartbeat, and I might live in an apartment in the area for a little while, but then I would probably want to buy a house in a more affordable suburb in the collar counties.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Only if one or both of my parents were very sick and/or dying, I would come home to Chicago to take care of them. Not a big fan of cold weather though,but I would do what it takes.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    May 2005
    I said maybe. But more so because of it's proximity to the Metro Detroit region than any particular love of my home city.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I doubt it I will go back to Sacramento. If my parents didn't move from San Francisco to Sacramento, then yea, i would go back to San Francisco, but they moved. Shame on them. . I lived in the valley, went to the coast, went back to the valley, and now officially have escaped the valley. end of story.
    No Signature Required

The little town I grew up in is actually nicer than when I lived there. My mom still lives in the same house. Between a new light rail system connecting it to the rest of the region and the revival (can you revive something that was never much of anything?) of its downtown core, the ol' town is doing very well.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I grew up in New Orleans and the Northlake (Covington area). Both are nothing like they were when I was a child and young adult. I would not want to go back. I don't think I could stand the weather, either.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

N. F. W.

None of my family or friends are there any more, but even if they were, I'd pass regardless of the job or salary.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Registered
    Dec 2008
    "Yeah, it's a Uni-Mart now, so I guess if you can never go home at least you can shop there."
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Maybe. I left there in 2002 to move to South Carolina. Since then both of my parents have passed away and I don't have any other family there. I still have a lot of friends from high school that live in that area. If there was a good job opportunity or some other significant reason I would consider it. It was a great place to grow up and be a young adult, but my life is on the East Coast now and I foresee myself being here for the time being.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Maybe. I've grow quite fond of the little town in which I currently live and work, as well as the smaller (100,000+ population) cities nearby.

To move back to Denver, I would have to have a GOOD job (so that I can afford to live there) and be close to a light rail commuting station. I cannot stand the traffic in Denver anymore.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I would do it in a second if Ohio wasn't so homophobic. All my family and friends are there. I would invest in downtown, open my own business, get a cute little house in my old favorite neighborhood, volunteer at a few organizations that I am fond of, plant a garden, and enjoy life. However, since raising a child there is too dangerous for my partner and I, we have no rights or benefits and the constitution has been amended to keep it that way, we will keep our tax dollars, education, and ability to invest in our community in a place that supports us.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Well....

Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    I would do it in a second if Ohio wasn't so homophobic. All my family and friends are there. I would invest in downtown, open my own business, get a cute little house in my old favorite neighborhood, volunteer at a few organizations that I am fond of, plant a garden, and enjoy life. However, since raising a child there is too dangerous for my partner and I, we have no rights or benefits and the constitution has been amended to keep it that way, we will keep our tax dollars, education, and ability to invest in our community in a place that supports us.
    This is sad that you can't consider a whole state for relocation due to social intolerance If you ever find yourself in South Florida looking for a community that will welcome you and your business with open arms, check out Wilton Manors.

http://www.wiltonmanors.com/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={F922DA12-E4C6-432A-A73B-D0C78779368D}

It seems to me that every state is likely to have a "safe haven" for those seeking diversity (racial and social) friendly communities. This could be a good idea for a new thread to identify places in each state, even states that are openly hostile. I'm sure we could get down to the neighborhood level for large urban areas. It would be interesting to see where the qualifying communities might be located in places like Idaho, Arizona, Montana, Wyoming, Alaska, Kansas and above all Massachusetts.
    Last edited by The One; 22 Dec 2010 at 3:45 PM. Reason: expansion of idea
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Planning in your hometown
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 31 Mar 2011, 11:09 AM
  2. My hometown is a national disgrace
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10