Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Contact with the news media

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I just wanted to share that I recently talked to a reporter who asked me a question and said my candid response would be "off the record, just so (he) can understand the scenario''. ......
    Just some words of caution: what you say is never really off the record. I learned that from a mentor years ago and I've never forgotten that lesson.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    When I was an intern, I actually talked to the press a couple times. We had no set official policy, at least not that I was aware of. Typically, in practice, whoever was the lead on a project would talk to the media about that project.

One of the times, I had a very positive experience with the press where I talked up an event we had put together (where I was the lead person) and got a really great article out of it...front page of the community section with a big positive quote. The local reporter assigned to us had a pretty good working relationship with us and so that helped. This was also a regional paper that covered the whole county, so it was good exposure.

However, I got burned one time by a reporter for the local weekly paper that covered just the town. He asked me some questions about a park which I had assumed was in relation to the long-range parks plan I was putting together. As it turns out, short-range plans for that park were already drawing controversy (which I had not known much about) and he interpreted my information about the long-range plan as being more short-term stuff to add to the controversy. This was one of those situations where I should have forwarded it to the department head, as he was leading the short-term stuff for that park, but unfortuately I didn't know of those plans. I think the reporter definitely tricked me, because the other questions of his were clearly about the broad long-range plan, and not about the imminent plans for this specific park. After that, I tried to avoid him as much as possible and direct any inquiries to my supervisor.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Just some words of caution: what you say is never really off the record. I learned that from a mentor years ago and I've never forgotten that lesson.
    I was taught that as well. The good reverend at the church has not learned this lesson despite being burned a few times.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 29
    Last post: 20 Aug 2010, 2:06 PM
  2. Ex parte contact?
    Rural and Small Town Planning
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 14 Jul 2009, 5:30 PM
  3. how do I contact a state agency about a job?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 11 Apr 2006, 12:03 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last post: 05 Oct 2004, 10:33 AM
  5. Any contact in London (England) ?
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 04 Sep 2002, 3:33 PM