Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Guess the Year #18 (Sculpture & Architecture)

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries

Guess the Year #18 (Sculpture & Architecture)

Ok y'all.....two part question here.

1. Name and date the sculpture
    2. Name and date the building and its architect

Cheers!

Click on the photo for a larger view.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    1.That artifact is Rumpy Digs a Hole in the Yard by Smudgie, Ablicious, KS. circa 2002.
    2. The building is the Great Tower of Drones, 1968. Designed by I.M. Pei.

Gosh, other than that, there isn't much else I can say about this contest.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Something about that pic feels Bostonian, but I confess I have no idea when the sculpture was made, nor do I know who the architect of the building behind it was. I'd guess the building was erected in 1991.

Boy this one's a toughie.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2001
    That is Portlandia, in Portand, Oregon, a sculpture done in 1985 by Raymond Kaskey on the Michael Graves Portland Building, which opened in 1982.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    That is Portlandia, in Portand, Oregon, a sculpture done in 1985 by Raymond Kaskey on the Michael Graves Portland Building, which opened in 1982.
    Yup, yup... I recognized the statue right away, but had no clue about the date/sculptor.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    1.That artifact is Rumpy Digs a Hole in the Yard by Smudgie, Ablicious, KS. circa 2002.
    Nice dood.... like blow my cover and stuff.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    Ding ding ding! You are the winner and have the honor of the next GTY.

"The Portland Building was a design-build competition sponsored by the city of Portland, Oregon. Located on a 200-foot square downtown block, the building will house the city's minicipal offices. This particular site offers a rich and special setting characterized by the adjacent City Hall and County Courthouse buildings on two sides, and the public transit mall and the park on the other two sides.

"The design of the building addresses the public nature of both the urban context and the internal program. In order to reinforce the building's associative or mimetic qualities, the facades are organized in a classical three-part division of base, middle or body, and attic or head." — Michael Graves
    This is a building that people love to hate in Portland although it is one of the more interesting building in the downtown area. It cost approximately $30 million to build and is about 360,000 sq. ft and was finished in 1982. The Portlandia sculpture was added in 1985.

Portlandia is based on a figure in Portland's city seal of a woman, dressed in classical clothes, who welcomes traders into the port of the city. The sculpture is placed on the a landing on the third floor of the Portland Building. The sculpture is 36 feet tall but if Portlandia was magically to stand up, she would be over 50 feet tall. Portlandia is the second largest hammered copper statue in America (the largest is the Statue of Liberty). Before being installed at the Portland Building, Portlandia was floated down the river on a barge and then transported through the city on a large truck. People lined up on the streets to see it. When it reached the building, the people crowded around the sculpture for a chance to touch it before it was installed out of reach.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Nov 2005
    No idea, but I've totally been there. It's in Portland, yes?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 14 Dec 2007, 4:29 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 15 Aug 2007, 8:42 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last post: 24 Jul 2007, 6:36 AM
  4. 5-year architecture ungrad
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 14 Sep 2005, 11:37 PM